F y i

Pete Wass

I have needed a bit less length in the spindle of my lathe to chamber shorter barrels and because there is so much stick out with my 4 jaw chuck, decided to come up with a front spider. I made a run at one before I left for Florida but becaues I operate without prior reasearch, didn't like the result I came up with so shelved it until spring.

Yesterday I Googled Lathe Spiders and up pops a page with something offered by Grizzly so I looks at the add. Here is a real life picture of an aluminum spider, complete with brass tipped screws and pre-drilled for attaching screws. They go on to say the offing is designed to bolt to one's face plate. $30.00 plus shipping. Several key strokes later and one is on the hated UPS truck. Saves buying a dividing hear, after all :).

Pete

Instead of bolting it to the faceplate every time you need it, find a chuck backplate and make a permanent solution.

They used to offer one as such with either one of the D's or a screw on spindle type.

Last edited:
What I had in mind

Instead of bolting it to the faceplate every time you need it, find a chuck backplate and make a permanent solution.

I think I may have a dog plate big enough to bolt it to, I can't see my ever using a dog plate but if I don't I'll buy a backing plate of appropriate size.

Pete

I've got two of those and they're still sitting in a drawer. The four holes they drilled in them conflict with the holes in the backplate adapter I have. The adapter is a 5" D1-4 and the pre-drilled holes on the Grizzly spider are poorly spaced, at least for my backplate. Good luck on yours, hope it works for you.

Pete, the lathe at work I'm most comfortable with spindle is about a ft too long. I tried between centers but it didn't go well due to vibration. So I made a bushing. Turned the uncut barrel O.D. true with each end of the bore & slid it into the spindle. Worked well for me.
I've since bought a Heavy 10 & have yet to make a spider for it. I wonder if I could adapt what you found for it. Can't build one for $30. Got 2 barrels coming so need to figure out something. Thanks for the heads up!
Keith

I made mine to thread right on the spindle. I used the face plate as a pattern, made a male thread to match the thread on the faceplate's spindle thread and then threaded the spider. That way I didn't have to remove the spider to check for fit AND, I only have one lathe.

Last edited:
Its a shame

Pete, the lathe at work I'm most comfortable with spindle is about a ft too long. I tried between centers but it didn't go well due to vibration. So I made a bushing. Turned the uncut barrel O.D. true with each end of the bore & slid it into the spindle. Worked well for me.
I've since bought a Heavy 10 & have yet to make a spider for it. I wonder if I could adapt what you found for it. Can't build one for $30. Got 2 barrels coming so need to figure out something. Thanks for the heads up!
Keith

I ain't home, I have a spider I made for my 10-L sitting in my shop you would be welcome to. It slips over the outboard end of the spindle and is held by 3 grub screws. Somehow I was able to get it fitted to a nice slip fit so it doesn't wobble any. If you can hold off until April, it's yurn.

Pete

I was a little concerned with that

I've got two of those and they're still sitting in a drawer. The four holes they drilled in them conflict with the holes in the backplate adapter I have. The adapter is a 5" D1-4 and the pre-drilled holes on the Grizzly spider are poorly spaced, at least for my backplate. Good luck on yours, hope it works for you.

I have a D1-4 machine as well. Perhaps the mother of invention will present herself?

Pete

Them dern holes

Before I left, I looked through the tooling I have and thought perhaps I could use my ER-40 collet chuck as a backer for a Spider. I had a nice piece of 7075 - 5" by 2 1/2" thick and arbitrarily decided to drill 3 holes through the face of it after I carefully bored it to fit over the threads on the collet holder. Fine, that would work lovely EXCEPT, one of the radial holes was going to interfere with one of the three holes I had drilled for mounting the chunk to the face of the collet holder, I couldn't seem to make it work out, just looking. Perhaps if one of the spider adjusting screws was smaller than the others?, so I sat it on a shelf. Looking like another dry hole coming up!

Pete

Last edited:
Those Bald Eagle spiders work well. I had to drill new mounting holes. For nuts I just used those 3/8 unistrut nuts to secure the spider to the faceplate. They are long enough to straddle the ribs behind the slots.

The spider is in there sort of permanently since I have the compound set on this 1024 for taper boring dedicated for chambering AR15 barrels.

Attachments

• 20180414_202851.jpg
    20180414_202851.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 330
  • 20180111_204909.jpg
    20180111_204909.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Those Bald Eagle spiders work well. I had to drill new mounting holes. For nuts I just used those 3/8 unistrut nuts to secure the spider to the faceplate. They are long enough to straddle the ribs behind the slots.

The spider is in there sort of permanently since I have the compound set on this 1024 for taper boring dedicated for chambering AR15 barrels.

I see you used a faceplate whereas I tried to use a back plate adapter. Mine came from CDCO and we all know the quality of that stuff. Anyway, I may still be able to get it to work with some judicious carving on the adapter. OK, after cranking my neck sideways I can see the original holes you didn't use. Another way to skin the cat. OOPS, PETA just said I can't use that term.

Last edited:
I ain't home, I have a spider I made for my 10-L sitting in my shop you would be welcome to. It slips over the outboard end of the spindle and is held by 3 grub screws. Somehow I was able to get it fitted to a nice slip fit so it doesn't wobble any. If you can hold off until April, it's yurn.

Pete

Thanks Pete, but although I can exhibit patience at times, not for that looooonng!
Hope you're feeling better!
Keith

Looks like something can be worked out :).

Pete

Took another look at the spider/adapter situation and think I can make it work. There are three holes on the back and near the edge of the adapter that appear to be for a 9mm socket head screw. I'm assuming those are to bolt on a chuck. As the spider is flat on both sides I'll machine off the boss on the face of the adapter and drill and tap three holes in the back of the spider to connect the two. A little tricky trying to find a position where the holes in the adapter won't interfere with the bolts in the spider but I think i'll have enough clearance. Alternatively, I could cut a recess in the back of the spider to mate with the boss on the adapter. Might be better to cut the aluminum of the spider rather than the cast iron of the adapter.

Last edited:
If you can cut the recess for the adapter boss, you will be able to use smaller and less bolts as the boss will be aligning and supporting the spider.

If you can cut the recess for the adapter boss, you will be able to use smaller and less bolts as the boss will be aligning and supporting the spider.

Yeah, I was thinking that. I think I was just trying to get away from mounting my four jaw chuck.

Thanks

The 4 jaw chuck is on my lathe the most. Use that or collets. It doesn't take long to indicate in your work if you do it enough. The trick is to use two chuck keys at the same time, one tightens while the other loosens. Been doing it that way for 40 years. It also keeps the non machinists from using the lathe?

The 4 jaw chuck is on my lathe the most. Use that or collets. It doesn't take long to indicate in your work if you do it enough. The trick is to use two chuck keys at the same time, one tightens while the other loosens. Been doing it that way for 40 years. It also keeps the non machinists from using the lathe?

Helluva trick.:cool: You talked me into mounting the 4 jaw. Now I gotta get me another chuck key.

Back