F y i

My whole reasoning here

is to get away from the stick out to allow more length through the spindle. My 4 jaw is very thick and the backing thick. I don't have any issues with using a 4 jaw chuck regarding indicating things in , its just that its too much of a good thing in my circumstances.

Pete

is to get away from the stick out to allow more length through the spindle. My 4 jaw is very thick and the backing thick. I don't have any issues with using a 4 jaw chuck regarding indicating things in , its just that its too much of a good thing in my circumstances.

Pete

The Grizzly spider mounted on a adapter will be much thinner than a four jaw chuck. I Think I've found a position where I can use the socket bolt holes on the back of the adapter to bolt through to the spider. The holes on the adapter appear to be M8. I bought three M8 1.25 30 bolts at Ace Hardware and will have the M6.8 tap drill tomorrow to drill and tap the holes for the bolts. The only decision left is whether to machine the boss off the adapter or cut a recess on the back of the spider. Machining off the boss would be easier and faster and I think the three bolts would secure the spider. That spider isn't going to be rotating that fast anyway. However, I do see the advantage of retaining the boss as the adapter could be used to mount something else, if needed. Another however, those adapters don't cost all that much at CDCO as they're only $42 for the five inch D1-4. I'll make the decision when I try to lift the four jaw. Just to clarify, my reference to the four jaw is to use it to hold the Grizzly spider to cut the recess, if I go that route.

Mine arrived just now

It's amazing how they are able to sell that for $35.! Even thought freight was $10. which is outrageous! It's almost prohibitive to buy things now if they need to be shipped. It ain't that I can't afford the ten bucks but it's the principal that an additional 20 some percent musdt be added to get it here. Ridiculous!

Tennyrate, I've got until mid April to stew about it.

Pete

It's amazing how they are able to sell that for $35.! Even thought freight was $10. which is outrageous! It's almost prohibitive to buy things now if they need to be shipped. It ain't that I can't afford the ten bucks but it's the principal that an additional 20 some percent musdt be added to get it here. Ridiculous!

Tennyrate, I've got until mid April to stew about it.

Pete

Yeah, I wanted to order something from MSC that cost about $10 and they wanted $12.95 shipping. Brownells has a shipping option called Edge. It costs 49.95 per year and that's it. It includes 2 day delivery. With this option I don't have to wait to build up and order to amortize the shipping costs. If I need just one little thing I order it. So far I'm ahead of the game with them.

Last edited:
this is just under 2" thick
if i had a counterbore the screws would not be exposed
a small safety issue

Attachments

• P1000599.JPG
    P1000599.JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 151
  • P1000600.JPG
    P1000600.JPG
    477.7 KB · Views: 153
  • P1000601.JPG
    P1000601.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 146
  • P1000602.JPG
    P1000602.JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 155
Very nice:

this is just under 2" thick
if i had a counterbore the screws would not be exposed
a small safety issue

What I had in mind. I was thinking One could make plugs for the existing holes in the Grizzly and flip the spider to minimize the visual effect of the plugged holes. I had also thought of countersinking screws from the back side of the plate to hide them. I do have a good 5/16 counterbore so I can do that.

Pete

That beats Prime

Yeah, I wanted to order something from MSC that cost about $10 and they wanted $12.95 shipping. Brownells has a shipping option called Edge. It costs 49.95 per year and that's it. It includes 2 day delivery. With this option I don't have to wait to build up and order to amortize the shipping costs. If I need just one little thing I order it. So far I'm ahead of the game with them.

Not a bad plan except I don't buy much from Brownells.

Pete

i think so. it was long ago.
inexpensive from shar's or cdco
turned it down on the od , and then the step till close to the studs.
sleeved the id and d/t thur both for the bolts.
the tipped bolts are from grizzly.

Is that a backplate for a set true chuck?

i think so. it was long ago.
inexpensive from shar's or cdco
turned it down on the od , and then the step till close to the studs.
sleeved the id and d/t thur both for the bolts.
the tipped bolts are from grizzly.

With the raised center, that’s where the adjustment bolts push against for a set true. You took advantage of it and tapped your holes in it, instead of drilling through the entire radius to the hole.

yes no bolt hole alignment issues between mounting lugs/studs and the 4 adjusting bolts.
With the raised center, that’s where the adjustment bolts push against for a set true. You took advantage of it and tapped your holes in it, instead of drilling through the entire radius to the hole.

Not a bad plan except I don't buy much from Brownells.

Pete

I've ordered cases .22 ammo from them under that program. I buy a lot of stuff for AR's, 1911's. If you haven't visited their site for a while, they're even selling firearms. As with any of these dealers you gotta shop prices.

What I had in mind. I was thinking One could make plugs for the existing holes in the Grizzly and flip the spider to minimize the visual effect of the plugged holes. I had also thought of countersinking screws from the back side of the plate to hide them. I do have a good 5/16 counterbore so I can do that.

Pete

The holes on the back of the adapter I'm using are countersunk. So, i'll be drilling and tapping the back of the spider. The M8 1.25 30mm fit perfectly in the adapter and 30mm length on the screws will be just right. I hefted the four jaw last night and it's not that heavy, so I'll go ahead and carve the recess in the back of the spider. Don't think I'll worry about the unused holes in the spider. Function over form.

My thinking too:

The holes on the back of the adapter I'm using are countersunk. So, i'll be drilling and tapping the back of the spider. The M8 1.25 30mm fit perfectly in the adapter and 30mm length on the screws will be just right. I hefted the four jaw last night and it's not that heavy, so I'll go ahead and carve the recess in the back of the spider. Don't think I'll worry about the unused holes in the spider. Function over form.

I don't do Youtubes or have an audience when I'm working on my lathe so whatever works is my mantra.

Pete

Back