Elictrinic scales

Problem Solved.
Any Sporter that is a little over weight. It will make one hell of a Squirrel Gun. A Remington 700 trigger will work just fine in the custom actions. Squirrels don't care if a gun is 2/10 over. You could use variable power scopes. Higher power for Grey Squirrels and turn the power down for those big a$$ed Fox Squirrels they have down south. Squirrels don't care about Scope power either.

If there were no check weights the rifles should not have been weighed - it's pointless. On the other hand, the deed is done and an official protest is the only thing that remains.

Have y'all ever tried to buy check weights...they're somewhat expensive...but absolutely necessary. Additionally, why would anybody think the post office would have accurate scales? I'm just asking as I don't know. Maybe they check their scales on a daily basis or something.....

While we're here, we could help Wayne with the rule. Black Jack makes a good point - the rule is not really a rule but rather a loose statement that doesn't mean squat. I believe I wrote that rule except for the thing about the Post Office - could be wrong. It's a good rule until it's challenged and then it's a terrible rule. The reason it's written that way is to allow clubs to host a match without having to buy check weights. That said, if there was somebody in the area that had check weights, and brought them to a match, then weigh rifles! The NBRSA supplies check weights to the regional director for just that purpose. You don't have to weigh every match to keep the rifles in check.

Now, go the other way and consider a scale that doesn't weigh the check weights within the allowance of the rules. What do you do? I know the answer but am curious as to what y'all think.

Thank You Wilbur!!!
Very well put!!!

NO CHECK WEIGHTS HOW DO YOU PROVE IT"S OVER WEIGHT?!?!?!?!

Pete

Postal scales have to be recalibrated/checked on a fairly regular basis.
Not a perfect solution but a reasonable method to check scales vs, say, none.

OK, I'll admit that I don't go along with comparing a scale with the post office scales but for the sake of argument let's say I do for the moment. For starters, how do you do this, and secondly how do you prove you did it.

How close does it have to be?
What tolerance are the postal scales?
How do you know whether the postal scales are high or low?

While the rule is "weasly"...it's a good rule...if it wasn't "weasly".

How do we know check weights never get tampered with? I guess at the end of the day we trust our MD's. If the guy finds his scale comes up .2 oz. over or under then simply announce the varience before the match. Hopefully people understand scales are less than exact.....sometimes.

Weighing rifles

Weighing of rifle before the match as opposed to after would be nice. That would allow for someone to make it right before they shoot.
Keith

Weighing of rifle before the match as opposed to after would be nice. That would allow for someone to make it right before they shoot.
Keith

Any range I've shot a big match at will allow shooters to weigh their rifles any time they want.

Guess what?
If I go to a State, Regional or National Match I always weigh my rifles before the match for my own information.
If I have a rifle even close to max weight I want to know why - If my rifle weighs 1 oz more or LESS than normal I want to now why! Make Sense?
Just a Thought.

Gordon,
I have never had a weight problem including The Sporter you built for me until.
My problem was a new 10.5 Turbo I got last year!
When I got it & took it out of the shipping box I could barely pick it up.
IT WAS the Heaviest Rifle & had ever played with.
I took it to UPS, USPS & my local Meat Market & it was 3 OZ overweight.
I removed a heavy But plate & reweighed at all of the above.
Net Results it was exactly 10.5 Lbs or a 1 or 2 tenth OZ under.
I knew that I probably had a problem with weight.
When I got to the Nats last year the 1st thing I did was weight it & it was 1.5 oz over.

I walked up & down begging for some super light scope rings to no avail!
I explained my problem to Bill Hinegardner & he said he might have a solution!
He had a set of prototype rings that did not need bases but attached directly to the Turbo action!!!

WOW I was good to go being over 2oz under weight!!
I did not have to get out the Hacksaw to make Weight!

If you have trouble making weight with any Turbo Action then this is the only way to go!!

Weights

i have no horse in this race, but to be fair to keith , i will say the match director was asked
to go home and bring his weights back before any decision on the outcome was made
ray

the only sensible thing to do..............

The makers

Gordon,
When I got to the Nats last year the 1st thing I did was weight it & it was 1.5 oz over.

He had a set of prototype rings that did not need bases but attached directly to the Turbo action!!!

If you have trouble making weight with any Turbo Action then this is the only way to go!!

Of any of these actions could easily pare them down for Sporters. They probably would if they were asked to do so. Generally, folks making things to sell will make what folks need and will buy. If they think there isn't a problem, there isn't a problem. It's ridiculous to push the weight limits of rifles. Nothing is gained by it.

Pete

Gordon,

Doug,
Just had a chance to read your post and think it wasn't you that had the problem!?
If you weighed on three sets of certified scales and were under weight then maybe the set of scales that
was not certified might have been the problem, Just asking?!?!
Pete

A situation not that uncommon to see:

Someone presents their rifle to be weighed. The rifle only makes weight with everything possible stripped off it, to include the scope caps. The next day, the rifle is seen being used in a match with one or both scope caps attached, probably because the competitor forgot to remove them. They come off as the rifle is being presented to be weighed.

Questions; do the extra tenth or two of weight make the rifle more competitive? Is it a violation of the weight rule to use a rifle in a match that is over weight? Can we just disregard the scope caps and consider the extra weigh irrelevant? Should we disregard the weight rule totally and just make everything unlimited or should we do more to make rifles compliant, say, if there are scope caps present, they are part of the rifle, just in case someone forgets?

The point is, there are always potential pitfalls. It isn't going to be easy to cover all the bases. Never is when crafting a set of rules.

Pete

Someone presents their rifle to be weighed. The rifle only makes weight with everything possible stripped off it, to include the scope caps. The next day, the rifle is seen being used in a match with one or both scope caps attached, probably because the competitor forgot to remove them. They come off as the rifle is being presented to be weighed.

Questions; do the extra tenth or two of weight make the rifle more competitive? Is it a violation of the weight rule to use a rifle in a match that is over weight? Can we just disregard the scope caps and consider the extra weigh irrelevant? Should we disregard the weight rule totally and just make everything unlimited or should we do more to make rifles compliant, say, if there are scope caps present, they are part of the rifle, just in case someone forgets?

The point is, there are always potential pitfalls. It isn't going to be easy to cover all the bases. Never is when crafting a set of rules.

Pete

I think the main point of this whole conversation to start with is, if a set of scales must be used to prove your gun, in what ever configuration you present it, must make a certain weight and your scales are not certified then there better be a set of weights there to prove the scales are correct?!
We can keep skirting the issue but it boils down to prove it one way or the other!!
Stop blaming the smith or the action builder or the barrel maker or the tuner maker or the stock maker!!!!!!!
PROVE IT!!!!!!

Pete Roberson

Back