eley/lapua why eley works

This discussion is ridiculous. I have shot Eley Tenex Red Box Eley Match Black Box and Lapua Midas and Center X... The Lot of Center X put the Tenex and Match to shame. It is all about the Lot and not the Tuners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the same Tuner on the Rifle for all the above ammo!!!!!!The variables are endless.........
The Lot of Center X shot one hole groups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
mike, are you now 2 different posters???? your quote appears between you and the new fella to be identical, if not better play the lottery.

This discussion is ridiculous. I have shot Eley Tenex Red Box Eley Match Black Box and Lapua Midas and Center X... The Lot of Center X put the Tenex and Match to shame. It is all about the Lot and not the Tuners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the same Tuner on the Rifle for all the above ammo!!!!!!The variables are endless.........
The Lot of Center X shot one hole groups

The Lot of Center X shot one hole groups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
oops, marty i think you're right.

OK... this is off topic but....... i saw the post last nite and thought the same thing until i looked in the BYLINE... I think this is just a slick way to post spam... these guys are always changing how they do business. joe
spam12.jpg

one thing i am always frustrated with is that when i do my own testing, no matter what that test is i found that there were so many varibiles that i could never be sure that my results were really valid. it would seem to me that when testing tuners you would have to shoot indoors and compile an awful lot of data to be sure that your results were valid. also the barreled action would have to be put in a shooting vice like anschutz does when they test each rifle. how else are we really going to know if our data is consistant and accurate? how much of what is is reported here although well meaning is just one mans opionion no matter who it is. i beleive are intentions are good but our results may be flawed in many cases. one other thing. the nut behind the stock is not perfect by any account and that might be the biggest flaw for truly accurate testing.

Gary, here's my take, if I can't or someone else can't repeat the test I don't mention it. this year, {5} 40x's, {3} halls, {1}turbo, {1} suhl, {1} 2013 all shot 3 different lots of midas+ better than eley, all shot eley better with a tuner. it's not an accident that marc coleman won at ft. hand with midas+ of all the ammo tested this lot varied 7fps. with an extreme spread of 11fps. geb what you said about these comments should apply to everyone. if anyone cannot repeat what I have said about tuning and ammo I want to know, I am a big believer no one person should make anything up and get away with it. martin

one thing i am always frustrated with is that when i do my own testing, no matter what that test is i found that there were so many varibiles that i could never be sure that my results were really valid. it would seem to me that when testing tuners you would have to shoot indoors and compile an awful lot of data to be sure that your results were valid. also the barreled action would have to be put in a shooting vice like anschutz does when they test each rifle. how else are we really going to know if our data is consistant and accurate? how much of what is is reported here although well meaning is just one mans opionion no matter who it is. i beleive are intentions are good but our results may be flawed in many cases. one other thing. the nut behind the stock is not perfect by any account and that might be the biggest flaw for truly accurate testing.

i agree totally there are too many variables. in all the testing i've seen it applies
to all, very very few have run tests in a controlled environment, so it is just one
mans opinion, irregardless of who that man is. thanks

Martin, I have 2 questions. You've mentioned the Lapua you've tested has shot to a 7fps varience. What kind of numbers has the ELEY you've handled come up with?
Second, if I read your lead post correctly, you make some assumtions regarding sporters and results based on lack of tune capability. Have you talked to any gunsmiths or any personal experience with the sporters that utilize barrels with some version of the so called "Calfee profile" and what goes into final fitting, dimension, of that particular profile?

Martin, I have 2 questions. You've mentioned the Lapua you've tested has shot to a 7fps variance. What kind of numbers has the ELEY you've handled come up with?
Second, if I read your lead post correctly, you make some assumptions regarding sports and results based on lack of tune capability. Have you talked to any gunsmiths or any personal experience with the sports that utilize barrels with some version of the so called "Calfee profile" and what goes into final fitting, dimension, of that particular profile?

real sporting rifles, you know the kind you actually shoot squirrels with. the best lot of eley ever tested was 1056 black box and 1065 team both machine 5 and I believe they were both 11 or 12fps with 15 or 16 es.it seems most, not all most eley test slower and midas+ test hotter.

Martin
I get what your saying now. Not per your first post!!

Mike

Actually, if one has time to wait conditions out, it is possable to test in some pretty good winds. The trick is to hit the same condition. From what I have seen over the years, when I find something that works, I know it instantly; bullets go into the same bullet hole without increasing the size of it much. That is about all the data one needs.

real sporting rifles, you know the kind you actually shoot squirrels with. the best lot of eley ever tested was 1056 black box and 1065 team both machine 5 and I believe they were both 11 or 12fps with 15 or 16 es.it seems most, not all most eley test slower and midas+ test hotter.

Well, can't comment on the center-X but for ELEY if that's the best spread you've ever shot you'd best keep looking, I've had, seen, tested stuff with about 1/2 that varience.

Well, can't comment on the center-X but for ELEY if that's the best spread you've ever shot you'd best keep looking, I've had, seen, tested stuff with about 1/2 that varience.

well tim, missed the annoucments on all the national and psl championships you managed with that killer ammo. again congratulations keep up the good shooting. martin

Has anyone considered that no regular sporting rifles are chambered for Eley.

I have tested my ammo and my rifles inside at 50 yards under controlled conditions.

My CZ 452 Varmint shoots at it's best with Lapua. It is just stock as far as the barrel and the chamber.

Most custom rifles being built today are chambered for Eley and, therefor, they shoot better with Eley. Could it be the chambering has more to do with what ammo shoots best in the rifle than the tuner? I suspect so.

Concho Bill

Greg Flannery and Jim Pherson,
Notice that this thread only has TWO personal posts. They are both by YOU two.

Greg, what disipline do you compete in? IR50/50? I've never seen you at a match in ARA.

Jim, what disipline do you compete in? IR50/50? I've never seen you at a match in ARA.

Do you two understand what I'm getting at? If you don't travel the shooting world and just stay at your home range....how can you have a clue about the world? You don't!

Wilbur, not all moderators are even qualified for either forum. Supermoderator only falls on a few and one of them is not Indiana James! If he thinks and does not do.....it only fuels the ire of the me and those that are EXPERIENCED.

Has anyone considered that no regular sporting rifles are chambered for Eley.

I have tested my ammo and my rifles inside at 50 yards under controlled conditions.

My CZ 452 Varmint shoots at it's best with Lapua. It is just stock as far as the barrel and the chamber.

Most custom rifles being built today are chambered for Eley and, therefor, they shoot better with Eley. Could it be the chambering has more to do with what ammo shoots best in the rifle than the tuner? I suspect so.

Concho Bill

Bill, if it was chambering wouldn't the eley always out shoot lapua?? here's my guess, lapua is 1080-1105 when it arrives at the muzzle of these .825 with a tuner only or 3.0oz the barrel is traveling downwards, on a 1050 round the barrel is at or near it's downward cycle. and that's why lapua will not shoot in a .825 straight barrel. wanted to revise this to say, without a tuner the opposite is happening the faster round is leaving on less of a angle than a slow round and just like a teter toter the slow round is at either end of the extreme. and without a tuner that's why the midas+ is slightly more accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Flannery and Jim Pherson,
Notice that this thread only has TWO personal posts. They are both by YOU two.

Greg, what disipline do you compete in? IR50/50? I've never seen you at a match in ARA.

Jim, what disipline do you compete in? IR50/50? I've never seen you at a match in ARA.

Do you two understand what I'm getting at? If you don't travel the shooting world and just stay at your home range....how can you have a clue about the world? You don't!

Wilbur, not all moderators are even qualified for either forum. Supermoderator only falls on a few and one of them is not Indiana James! If he thinks and does not do.....it only fuels the ire of the me and those that are EXPERIENCED.

John,

I don't think I've met Greg but you're right about me. I haven't gotten out much the last two years...just Red Brush and Owensboro this year. I've had other things get in the way. I did finish in the top twenty on The List a couple years ago. I plan on getting out more next year. Maybe I'll run into you at Livonia or even Wabash; although, I much prefer IR50/50.

You've assumed a bit much about Mike and now me...maybe Greg, too. Check the results.

The only post by me in this thread was to encourage anyone who starts a thread to delete it if it goes astray. If you'd like to discuss it further, send me a PM and I'll give you my email and phone number. We're both way off the Eley/Lapua topic.

Jim
PS: I signed on for "Spam Patrol" nearly ten years ago. Now I feel like a kindergarten kop.

OK... this is off topic but....... i saw the post last nite and thought the same thing until i looked in the BYLINE... I think this is just a slick way to post spam... these guys are always changing how they do business. joe
spam12.jpg

Joe, you're right. I've deleted about a dozen of them like that the last three weeks!

Jim

Bill, if it was chambering wouldn't the eley always out shoot lapua?? here's my guess, lapua is 1080-1105 when it arrives at the muzzle of these .825 with a tuner only or 3.0oz the barrel is traveling downwards, on a 1050 round the barrel is at or near it's downward cycle. and that's why lapua will not shoot in a .825 straight barrel. wanted to revise this to say, without a tuner the opposite is happening the faster round is leaving on less of a angle than a slow round and just like a teter toter the slow round is at either end of the extreme. and without a tuner that's why the midas+ is slightly more accurate.

Now come on! Where is the physics? Martin, I really don't mean to be hard on you but, surely, the with all that shaking going on, the length of the barrel would effect where the crown of the barrel is pointing when the bullet passes by. If the barrel were a half inch longer, as some are, the wiggle in the barrel might cause the thing to be pointing up. I believe your theory has a hole in it just like your barrel.

I still think the chambering die and the chamberer has something to do with why Lapua shoots better in my CZ and Eley shoots better in my 40X. Otherwise, why would there be more than one size of chambering die?

Concho Bill

Back