Do We Need a New Perspective on Awards

do we need a new prospective

There was a very long THREAD about getting more people to come and shoot. I guess it fell on deaf ears'
If you really want people to come and shoot there must be some insentive for them to come and spend their hard earned cash.

You should read the posts on increasing match attendance.
It really doesn't need to be much. Just something to let the shooters know how much the club appreciates them coming to the shoots.
Every now and then a middle of the pack shooter gets it together and shoots a really good group. a little trophy goes along way to keep them interested. I think i have explained this enough over the years.
Also the lack of a classification system, and recriprical aggreement between IBS and NBRSA.
IBS recognizes NBRSA and lets them shoot in their matches
NBRSA Insists that you join their organization to shoot in their Matches.
Enough said on this because it goes no where.
NBRSA looses nothing by letting IBS shooters shoot in their Matches.
They can still collect a daily fee and the match fees

I really like the idea of printed certificates.

-they're cheap
-They can be made to look nice
-they can contain a lot more information
-literally hundreds will store easily in a folder/file box instead of????
-if you're showing them off the showee can leaf through them to easily see your accomplishments. OR,You could set out nights with the wife and make a nice Acid Free albums.... hey guys could get together and!...... :eek:

:D:D:D:D

-if the participant wants a wall plaque for display HE/SHE can pay to have it framed howsomever they wants.....

Downside----- nobody has made up a template yet.

A nice bright gold-leafy embossed document is somehow more interesting than a trophy or plaque and IMO is more easily "customized".... I've got a "Certificate of Completion" from BR School that hangs in my gunroom by the NRA Life Member certificate and they both stimulate conversation.

The really cool thing about documents is you can get them signed... and in most cases can have the names in place at the club, dunno if anybody else cares but I find signed papers more personal than brass engravings...... Why??? I dunno, just brings it back better I guess.

Any talented document guys out there?

al

At the Score Nationals in Iowa

they gave a number of beautiful cirtificates to the agg placements. They are nice. I am pleased to have received one. It has a lovely picture of a Bald Eagle soaring in the background. I was happier to receive that instead of a small plaque made of pressed sawdust or paper.

Some very nice certificates were produced her in Maine this year and awarded for second and third placees. Whomever designed and created it did a superb job, IMHO.

Last edited:
certificates

Somebody needs to get with Boogie........he used to post here.
Bet he could whip out some great stuff with a minimum of art work supplied by the individual clubs. He could probably work off a photo or club crest etc.
Bryan

P.S. Some "Aw Sh-t" stickers for those 4 in a dot and one placed an inch away would be fun.

Here's the deal

Clubs with adequate attendance will award plaques (some very nice) and set a perceived "standard". Any club in the area that attempts to move away from plaques will see attendance drop even further because that's the way we roll. If, however, the national organization set the standard it would be perceived in a whole different light. Hat/lapel pins are better than certificates because certificates beg for personalization (club, date, etc..) and somebody has to make them. Sounds easy if you say it real fast but certificates end up as a burden for an already maxed out match director. Another problem with certificates is the quality. Some are pretty nice and some are inevitably printed on typing paper.

Example - The NBRSA could increase the competitor fee a dollar, supply appropriate hat pins for each match scheduled, and the clubs wouldn't even feel it. If that's all we ever got anywhere it would be just fine. Of course, those "fortunate" clubs would continue to award those nice plaques in addition to the pins because they know that's what folks want and we would be right back where we started with the extra expense of the hat pins.

The current cost of a premium hat pin in quantities of 5000 is 70 cents each (30 cents four years ago). That's $2.10 to pay three places.

The current cost of a premium hat pin in quantities of 5000 is 70 cents each (30 cents four years ago). That's $2.10 to pay three places.

I like it even better, even smaller and less hassle than certificates.

It really IS about beat'cherbuddy anyways...... no one else cares.

al

The NBRSA could increase the competitor fee a dollar, supply appropriate hat pins for each match scheduled, and the clubs wouldn't even feel it.

This is a great idea! We shoot 50/50 and we all love the pins. We also shoot Silhouettes and get pins. I have an inexpensive shotgun shooting vest that I have covered in my silhouette pins. I have a lot of fun at the matches with my jacket.

For a few dollars each we could have pins made for our club to give to everyone who shoots in a club match.

Concho Bill

If you're gonna make certificates

Think ahead and do it right the first time! Actually, I've already done that and will share my method.

Rubber Duck Design sells custom foil stickers. The minimum order is 1000 and it worked out 3 years ago to somewhere between 30 and 40 cents each. That cost could be split among clubs if the sticker design was regional rather than club. For example, the sticker could say "Southeast Region" instead of "Rachels Glen".

Certificate paper deserves a hard look. In my opinion, Southworth has the better paper. Specifically, if you're using the foil stickers, they have a border to match and not be gaudy or cheesy lookin'. If you buy 90 sheets it's currently 60 cents a sheet. here's the link

Recommended is one of the "cheaper" laser printers. I bought a plain Jane "Brother" for $105 out the door. It prints 10 certificates in about a minute as opposed to a half hour on a inkjet. That leaves 29 minutes to correct the mistake you made and toss six bucks worth of paper in the trash.

Create a club logo in high resolution (Photoshop comes to mind), figure out where to place it on the paper (using cheap paper), and print it on all the certificate sheets along with a circle where the sticker goes. You now have customized certificate paper "blanks".

Go to Avery.com and download "Design Pro" - here's the link.

Read the directions that come with Design Pro and create a data sheet something like:
Light Varmint 100 yards | 1st Place
Light Varmint 100 yards | 2nd Place
Light Varmint 100 yards | 3rd Place
Light Varmint 200 yards | 1st Place
Light Varmint 200 yards | 2nd Place
Light Varmint 200 yards | 3rd Place
Light Varmint Grand | 1st Place
etc...

Connect the project to the data sheet and place "fields" rather than "hard text" on to the layout design. Save the Layout.

Now, here's the fun part. Open the layout, change the date, put the certificate paper in the printer and click PRINT. Next match - same thing. Oh yeah, you gotta stick on the stickers.

DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT MAKING CERTIFICATES LONG TERM ONE AT THE TIME. FORGET ABOUT IT. DO SOMETHING ELSE.

Last edited:

Does any one have a contact for patches? the 5 inch ones'

Back