Do we clean our Rifles too much?

You're probably right Wilbur

Whatever it is, develop a cleaning routine that works for all barrels and stick with it. I'm speaking to Benchrest barrels and will add that if a barrel requires additional cleaning then start saving for another one right away. I'll also say that it won't help to do the "additional cleaning" but that's just my experience.

but I don't have the dough to feed $600. barrels to two or 3 rifles that often. If I can make my clunkers shoot pretty well, that sufficient for me. I'm just an old man trying to get down to the end and have as much enjoyment that I can squeeze out of the time I have left and still have a few bucks for other things besides $600. barrels. My desire to be #1 ended after I got there in 2008 and found that is was pretty empty for me. Guess I am not driven to be that.

Regarding the fouling removal; I suspect there may be others out there like me who would like to try the stuff I try and report on. I would like to see everyone share everything they learn and let the wind flags decide who wins. If they don't like what I report on, that's fine. Thank You for providing a forum for us to have these discussions. It makes us all better, I think.

Happy Holidays,

Peter

Regarding extra cleaning,

Whatever it is, develop a cleaning routine that works for all barrels and stick with it. I'm speaking to Benchrest barrels and will add that if a barrel requires additional cleaning then start saving for another one right away. I'll also say that it won't help to do the "additional cleaning" but that's just my experience.

What we find is that some barrels have small areas that attract first lead, then carbon and baked on wax and will continue to do so unless and until they are de-fouled. Otherwise, they shoot competitively. I suspect a pretty good number of barrels fall into that category and are taken off when they could be kept shooting with a little extra help. We have proven that quite often.

Pete

Pete - I was mainly talking about centerfire barrels. I know little to nothing about cleaning rimfire barrels....I just treated them the same as centerfire barrels....didn't know much else to do. I did notice that there was quite a bit of difference in the way folks cleaned rimfire barrels from person to person. Lot of "snake oil" involved there....

Im sure fellow competitors and barrelmakers alike would love for folks to use 180grit clover lapping compound in barrels.

Wonderful 30cal barrels..

When I first started Hunter Benchrest with a 30/47 Hart Barrel I did a little experiment. At an indoor range here in Austin, I fired almost 90 rounds until I noticed a sight increase in the group. That convinced me that I didn't need to clean the barrel after each match. Saved a lot of fouler shoots. Now, I do clean between a hundred and two hundred yard matches. Just use a little Sweets and Butch's Boreshine. Have been keeping up this routine ever since.

Change barrels after 5000 rounds just to be on the safe side; even though the barrel still doesn't show any signs of pitting or undo wear.

Keep pull'n that trigger....virg.

I will offer up a good old Benchrest Story.

Back in the mid 2000's, at the last Nationals held at Midland, a bunch of us were sitting around Tuesday eavening talking about this very subject. Various opinions were offered, and a noted Gulf Coast Region Shooter produced a bore scope.

Guys started bringing their Rifles over to ascertain just how " clean" they were for the Sporter 100 the next morning.

Upon examining mine, (a Krieger 13.5 twist), it was declared dead on arrival. I was shown all sorts of streaks of carbon, lead, or what ever.

I told everybody that I had cleaned it the same way I always do. The general consensus was I needed to dig out the ISSO, the JB, Copper Cleaner, or maybe have it sandblasted.

Well, I went to the line that next morning and laid down a .162 Agg and won the yardage.

Go figure.

Jackie i guess you didnt fall for that old trick. Theres been lots of barrels that quit shooting due to a borescope. Its the worst item a shooter can have in my opinion. Clean how the target tells you to

"Nicest" thing you can do is offer to show someone their bore before a match!

Jackie, you coming to the final match at Austin Rifle Club this month? Hope to see you there!

Dennis

Jackie i guess you didnt fall for that old trick. Theres been lots of barrels that quit shooting due to a borescope. Its the worst item a shooter can have in my opinion. Clean how the target tells you to

Have you ever watched Lester Bruno shoot a Unlimited Match?

He will go to the line with a whole 25 round loading block full. He will then commence to shoot every last one of them, consistently going to the sighter before he finishes the 10 on the record.

He does win on occasion.

You can only wonder what that barrel would "borescope" after the first 20 rounds with five to go on the record.

So, how do you suggest examining the physical condition of a barrel, use oeigi sticks?

Implying that the use of a borescope is bad. Did I read that correctly??

I say use proven methods and then go with what the target tells you. A new shooter with a borescope will drive himself crazy cleaning and lose all confidence in his barrel. I know youve seen it before jerry- the previous few know what im talkin about. And yes good ouiji sticks go a long ways to helping.

Ouiji sticks...$50 per half dozen. Engraved ouiji sticks $15 each.

Send cash or check to Wilbur...

Ouiji sticks...$50 per half dozen. Engraved ouiji sticks $15 each.

Send cash or check to Wilbur...

I have a borrowed, slightly used, IOU for $33, can you make change? If so I'll take 2 of the engraved sticks.

(OMG, how long to the Shamrock????)

I'm pretty sure that I ruined some barrels this year from using a coated cleaning rod too long. It's pretty easy to think that as long as the rod is straight and the coating hasn't slipped that the rod is still good. Starting each season with new cleaning rods may be overkill, but cheap compared to ruining a barrel by grit impregnated into the coating. I found that I had a cleaning rod problem by looking at the bore with a borescope. Longitudinal scratches in the throat that shouldn't have been there carrying down the barrel.

When you've grown accustomed to the mentality of cleaning after every group, it's a hard habit to break. But, I think that's just what it is, a habit. Does it need it? I don't think so. If the barrel is pretty new, probably not as often as if it has a large round count on it. Shoot seven shots on a match, probably no need to clean before the next one. Have to pick through conditions and shoot 15, I'll probably clean. If the group was good, I may not. Pretty nice to be able to go to the line, see a condition you like and go directly to the record without firing some foulers on the bottom.

Last edited:
When you've grown accustomed to the mentality of cleaning after every group, it's a hard habit to break. But, I think that's just what it is, a habit. Does it need it? I don't think so. If the barrel is pretty new, probably not as often as if it has a large round count on it. Shoot seven shots on a match, probably no need to clean before the next one. Have to pick through conditions and shoot 15, I'll probably clean. If the group was good, I may not. Pretty nice to be able to go to the line, see a condition you like and go directly to the record without firing some foulers on the bottom.

You will be amazed how many shots it takes on a good barrel to starting to effect accuracy. On a somewhat worn barrel not so many. So the condition of the barrel has a lot to do with cleaning frequency,

Folks who squirt or dip their bronze brush in a copper removing solvent aren't able to tell if the barrel is starting to copper. Running 2-3 wet patches through the bore first then brushing with a dry brush you can see if copper is becoming a problem.

On tuning day at the range, how many trips do you make with new loads and leave the rifle on the bench?

In cleaning, use common sense and reasoning, not just the same-old same-old method.

Back