Dave Brennan contact?

Thanks J, I appreciate the response, even though its bad news. I had really hoped to pick his brain on his memories of Superior Rifles, and maybe find out what ever happened to his 222 Revenge Superior.

RIP Mr. Brennan

And I was all set to remark that smoke signals was his primary method of communication. I guess I’ll hold off on that. R.I.P. David.
I locked horns with Dave many times and perhaps the Classic was when I was running score matches at Harrison about twelve years ago. I sent the match report for our September match for publication in Precision Shooting in the exact format he demanded. He published a report on our having a match and that Dick Wright, his buddy, was not there. “He must have been at the Michigan-Michigan State football game.” No mention was made of the results of the match, who was or wasn’t there, the equipment list. Just that Dick Wright missed this particular match. I called Dave on this and he said it’s his magazine and he publishes what he sees fit to print. So, the next month I sent David a blank piece of paper and a note that he can print what he wants but don’t sign my name to it as he had in the past. And that, boys and girls, was the last match report I sent to David. I’m not sure if he is publishing match reports in his new environment but the season is over for the year at Harrison. I’ll send a new one in the spring of 2021.
If you care to hear about other encounters, I can post them.

Last edited:
And I was all set to remark that smoke signals was his primary method of communication. I guess I’ll hold off on that. R.I.P. David.
I locked horns with Dave many times and perhaps the Classic was when I was running score matches at Harrison about twelve years ago. I sent the match report for our September match for publication in Precision Shooting in the exact format he demanded. He published a report on our having a match and that Dick Wright, his buddy, was not there. “He must have been at the Michigan-Michigan State football game.” No mention was made of the results of the match, who was or wasn’t there, the equipment list. Just that Dick Wright missed this particular match. I called Dave on this and he said it’s his magazine and he publishes what he sees fit to print. So, the next month I sent David a blank piece of paper and a note that he can print what he wants but don’t sign my name to it as he had in the past. And that, boys and girls, was the last match report I sent to David. I’m not sure if he is publishing match reports in his new environment but the season is over for the year at Harrison. I’ll send a new one in the spring of 2021.
If you care to hear about other encounters, I can post them.

Pissing matches always make for delightful reading.

Francis

I think one of the reasons he had trouble getting good contributors was his acerbic personality with regard to form and content, not to mention he would not accept electronic submissions. He reminded me of the plant manager at Phillips Elmet Corp, my first job out of college in the lab. He was German, very stern, hardly ever cracked a smile(he had no facial wrinkles so must have been a life long trait) and in conversation if you could get something other than yes, no or maybe you were doing good. Deep down he was a fine man, but his outward dealings with others left something to be desired. He was generally feared by the rank and file workforce.

My "Fondest Memory"

was his complaining about people wanting to advertise in his magazine at "the Winter Meeting". No wonder it folded.

Pete

I never understood the basis for his argument or the reason for even bringing it up at the meeting. At one point Dick Wright was a partner in Precision Shooter Magazine. That partnership dissolved before the magazine folded. Another fine shooting magazine was Shooters News or Shnooze as we called it. This magazine was the handiwork of John Gamutto. That short lived magazine was good in its infancy but as time went on it went downhill with late deliveries and default to the subscriber. It all showed the character of the man and that’s nuff said there.

My first interaction with Dave was when I submitted an article on an accurate .17 Remington I was working with. A few weeks later, a letter from P.S. Magazine arrived and was opened with high hopes and a small amount of trepidation. There, in big, bold, red letters was the word:

REJECTED

On the back side of the sheet of paper was a hand written note.

"Since you are working with a .17 Remington, it's obvious that you must be somewhat diminished of common sense and will need special handling. If you're up to it, I'll edit this tome and publish it.

I'd suggest you head to a local book store and avail yourself of copies of Writers Digest and Writers Forum magazines. If you persist in sending me articles, it will greatly reduce my efforts in editing as I have little time for such nonsense.

A complimentary copy of Precision Shooting featuring your article and a check for $300 will be arriving within the next few weeks. Don't get a big head over this." -Dave

I liked him immediately.

From then on, I worked hard on writing and true to his word, Dave edited very, very lightly on subsequent articles. He enjoyed collaborating on article ideas and always had some wisdom to add. I remember having an idea for an article on Randy Robinett...I called Dave and asked him if I could do it in an interview format. He got quiet and said: "It's cold and rainy out. That's the best idea I've heard so far today." Out of that came 'Confessions Of A Ballistic Idiot'.

As you knew him better, you saw that his acerbic whit was often directed at himself. In one of the P.S. magazines, he recounted how he was actually leading in the Agg at a big match. His commentary on his own thought process as he fumbled away his chance at glory is truly, truly genius writing. He was a true Editor with a capital 'E'. Old school tough....like Perry White in the Superman comics. Those with thin skin need not apply.

Dave was always true to his word with me. If he said he would pay you '$X', you got '$X'. If he said he'd do 'this' and you said you'd do 'that', it was a done deal. No muss, no fuss. Bada bing, bada boom. Done.

That's in stark contrast to a very popular interweb shooting forum that solicited me for some extensive writing/testing and offered goods in lieu of cash payment. The writing and gun testing was done but the goods have never to this day arrived. I'll check the mailbox again today. Not....:rolleyes: A little Brennan style business lesson might be in order, there.

Dave always enclosed a Far Side comic in his letters. Here's the one I got with his first letter back to me:

Camf9HHh.gif

As he often wrote in in Precision Shooting in reference to a shooter that had passed away:

We are diminished.

Good shootin'. -Al

Last edited:
In one of the P.S. magazines, he recounted how he was actually leading in the Agg at a big match. His commentary on his own thought process as he fumbled away his chance at glory is truly, truly genius writing.

If you could arrange to post that article, or a link to it, I know someone who would enjoy reading it. :)

Last edited:
Al, your experiences with Dave mirror mine exactly, though, I never figured out why he published my, as [the late] Roland Potter referred to them, "rambling prose" - perhaps he liked the controversy!;) Few know how Much Dave Brennan contributed to, and supported the HUNTER CLASS - he did so, because, it is/was bench-rest shooting at it's most demanding . . . and, possibly, he liked some controversy.:confused:;)

When I assumed management of the TcL (American Conference), I was advised that Dave would NEVER publish
the AC match reports, as he did for the Original TcL (National Conference): it took one letter to Dave, expressing my intent (to emulate the pro football AFC): Dave promptly provided a copy dead-line, and a promise to publish side-by-side with the Tcl NC report(s), which he did. That 'visibility' contributed greatly to the Growth of the Hunter Class, throughout the late 1980's and Y2K, when NBRSA Nationals attendance doubled.:eek::)

Yes, we are diminished - seems I was one of the last to know about Dave's passing. :(RG

Last edited:
I spent a short time as an associate editor and reporter for Cycle News East, a magazine somewhat similar to P-S, but it was a weekly dealing with motorcycle racing. I can tell you that trying to make nice with contributors while dealing with some of their goofier submissions could be a real challenge. I'm sure Dave came by his acerbic demeanor honestly.

My original post was there in hopes that I could talk with Dave to revisit his knowledge of and experience with Ross Sherman and the Superior action. Dave wrote of owning at least two, one he chambered in 222 "Revenge". I have lost that article. If anyone has a copy from PS I would love a copy. If anyone knows where Dave's Superiors went, I would love to talk to the current owner. I am still collecting info on these rifles, and plan to submit an article to AS on #31 , Ross's own rifle, and Old Yeller 3rd, Fred Sinclair's Superior. Anyone who could forward a photo of a Superior they own earns extra points!

I did not know David, and understand he had a powerful personality that even after his passing seems to bring out some strong responses. I do know that I enjoyed PS, and I enjoyed his writing as well. For his family I am saddened at his passing.

We are diminished.

Parker aka Snert

My original post was there in hopes that I could talk with Dave to revisit his knowledge of and experience with Ross Sherman and the Superior action. Dave wrote of owning at least two, one he chambered in 222 "Revenge". I have lost that article. If anyone has a copy from PS I would love a copy. If anyone knows where Dave's Superiors went, I would love to talk to the current owner. I am still collecting info on these rifles, and plan to submit an article to AS on #31 , Ross's own rifle, and Old Yeller 3rd, Fred Sinclair's Superior.

Parker aka Snert

Have you contacted Bob White at Shooters Corner? -Al

Hi Al,

Yes, I emailed Bob a couple years ago and the response was that he had no Superiors. I recently wrote again, with more detailed interest, and have not had a response.

Thanks,
Parker

PS Copyright?

Does anyone know . . .

What is the copyright status of the contents of PS magazine?
Many shooters would benefit from the online availability of some of the excellent articles published over the years.

Dave Brennan

Sorry to hear of his passing. While others had issues with Brennan, my relationship was somewhat different. While we enjoyed discussing the attributes (and lack thereof) of the .222, I did enjoy having several of my guns on the cover. He loved having photos that exhibited "composition". He was a character but so are all of us, in one way or the other.cover.jpg

Last edited:
Back