Competition Pocket Scales

333smitty

Tomball Gun Club
My current scale that has served me so well in past has went on the blink and I am looking for a worthy replacement.

Does anyone know of a reliable go to scale that they would recomend for competition?

Thanks,

Vic

(opps..my bad)
the dillon is less than your beam scale..it is plus or minus 0.1 in .1 steps..the beam will indicate when even a slight off from middle
do a search on "scale" or "scales"
and run thru those threads there was a small compact for about 150 or so that "seemed" to be a good product....

mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on the Dillon scale. 4 AA batteries last a year or you can plug in the adapter.
Every load goes over my Dillon. Cut a piece of heavy paper to place over the hole in the breeze shield and the unit settles at once.
Centerfire

Suggest you try TANITA 1210 N or new model 1230 N, at Miniscales price US $204,00 IMHO by far the best miniscale for our purpose. Carlos

francis,
i hope things at pact are better now than when i owned one of thier chronographs....
it spent more time in shipping and in thier plant than with me in the time i owned it. not a joke..a fact.
sold it , went to an oehler and never looked back
mike in co
PACT.......PACT......PACT
Because they are accurate.
Because they are made in USA. Grand Prairie Texas is still in USA, right?
Because I believe they make the Dillon.
Because if you choose to go with a dispenser at a later date the PACT dispenser will work in conjunction with their scale.

Quite often, some of the inexpensive scales on Ebay will be very good for not much money. It requires a known good scale to compare them to however. For instance, I bought one of those Postal Scales to weigh my guns, etc on here at home. As it turns out, it is always Dead Nuts when weighing certified test weights.

In my opinion, a Pocket Scale should be inexpensive enough so that when it crumps it won't be painful to throw away and inexpensive enough to, perhaps, withstand the purchase of two or three to get a reliable one.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a reliable go to scale that they would recomend for competition?

Thanks, Vic

Vic, I've been using the Jennings JSVG20 for a couple of seasons. It works well, has a lot of nice features and is small enough to fit in a loading box. Back-to-back testing with my tuned up beam scale and a lab grade scale gave good results. It can't weigh to the .0000001th of a grain ;), but it doesn't need to for my use.

Here's a link...hope this helps. :) -Al

http://jscale.com/product/_vg_series.html

Last edited:
Since there is so many threads on electronic scales I did not want to start another one, since this is the most recent thread on scales i figured I would post it here.

In general with electronic scales, how exactly do you use them? If someone is new to electronic scales is there a list of do's and don'ts? For this conversation let's just say we are talking about scales that are like the Sartorius AY123 which I think is a clone for the MX123. For instance, I have done a lot of reading and some of these scales require a warm up time? I don't understand that or know how long of a warm up time is needed. Some people say to change the setting so it's on "filling" so the response time is quicker, why is that? Is it not recommend to store these scales in a basement where it is typically cool and maybe somewhat damp? (unfortunately my reloading setup is in the basement) I heard that lights can affect the read out and things like the power supply. There is just so much reading out there that I don't know what's fact or fiction and what I should listen to.

By the way, how to you subscribe to a thread like this one?

I picked up a GemPro250, the only thing I have to compare it to is a Chargemaster, ran about 60-70 comparison loads over the course of a week at 2 different locations. Both of them always came up with the same weight.

Yes I know it's not the exacting and detailed scientific comparison process but it was enough for me to be satisfied with the $135ish I spent on the GemPro.

Just picked up a Gem Pro 250. Used it 3 times. First time it ran like a champ. Second time, OK. Third time began to drift quite a bit and not repeat
to a know value. Hit the on/off switch, it made a funny noise and that was it. I didn't even send in the warranty card yet. Hope they honor the warranty. I do have to say that when it ran it repeated right back on the money.

Thanks buddy.

Square:
To subscribe to this thread go to the top of the page and click on the arrow next to "thread tools" immediately above the first entry on this thread. A drop down will appear and one of the two options will be "subscribe to this thread". Click again

Back