Calfee Sporter

M

Madrox

Word has it that Calfee has developed a new sporter profile that will soon be available. I believe I got it from a reliable source but that's all I know at this time. One can only assume that if he has developed a new one it is in some way better than the old one. Anybody else heard anything?

Is it correct that a counterbored muzzle is permitted in the sporter class (in order to function as an integrated tuner)?

SteveM

that's corrrect, and their scores are outstanding. I'm suprised the super sporters aren't using 3/8th bases with bkl rings and keeping the rings mounted to their 6.5x and 36x scope, switching scopes back and forth and competing from sporter thru unlimited with 1 rifle. after all with that set-up scopes can be changed in short order and the bkl rings can be removed multiple times and still keep zero.

that's corrrect, and their scores are outstanding. I'm suprised the super sporters aren't using 3/8th bases with bkl rings and keeping the rings mounted to their 6.5x and 36x scope, switching scopes back and forth and competing from sporter thru unlimited with 1 rifle. after all with that set-up scopes can be changed in short order and the bkl rings can be removed multiple times and still keep zero.

What about just the scope?

293894446597_0_0.jpg

(that's a BKL 558)

I sure would not want to switch scopes between relays !!! Not enough time to rezero before shooting for score. That would be a No-No and will not happen.
Fred K

Just put on a variable (6-24) if it'll make sporter weight? I know some who do just that. My sporter, built by Gordon Eck, is more accurate then my 10.5 lb rifle (both Turbos).

Why change the scope. From what I understand, Harry Deneen shot the 2003Maryland three gun IR 50/50 championship, and won it, using his sporter and his 6X scope.

That's just good.

Last edited by a moderator:
you let the rings on the scope. just loosen the base of the ring and slide the other scope on. Fred I shot the highest score with a squirell rifle at anderson creek doing just that. these bkl rings are repeatable when left on the scope. shot a 240 12x in sept. with a cz full stock. it originally had a 24x sightron and replaced it with a mueller variable. they said that was the highest score ever with a facory sporter and it took less than 5 shots to zero.

DSCN0852.jpg doesn't take much time with the bkl. a little longer with the warne split.

you let the rings on the scope. just loosen the base of the ring and slide the other scope on. Fred I shot the highest score with a squirell rifle at anderson creek doing just that. these bkl rings are repeatable when left on the scope. shot a 240 12x in sept. with a cz full stock. it originally had a 24x sightron and replaced it with a mueller variable. they said that was the highest score ever with a facory sporter and it took less than 5 shots to zero.

Man,

I just thought Harry was good. He pales in comparison to you.

In the Silhouette shooting world, this "one gun" phenomena has been developing for a few years. A lot of shooters use their Hunter guns in both classes (hunter and standard), The hunter guns are usually just as accurate as the standard rifles. The absolute level of precision is not as high as it is in BR, but the trend to shoot just one gun is definitely there.

SteveM

Madrox, every squirrel shoot in this area never has an empty bench. 3 or 4 shooters come just for the 1 shoot. and shooting sk+ or pistol match with factory rifles and shooting 230's is an accomplishment. in my lifetime there will never be another Harry Dennen, it lowers his accomplishments with your insult.

Martin

Madrox, every squirrel shoot in this area never has an empty bench. 3 or 4 shooters come just for the 1 shoot. and shooting sk+ or pistol match with factory rifles and shooting 230's is an accomplishment. in my lifetime there will never be another Harry Dennen, it lowers his accomplishments with your insult.

Nothing can diminish Harry's accomplishments. He is in a class by himself when it comes to rimfire br.

Martin, there's no insult. I've watched you and read your posts. As far as you're concerned, it's all about you. Just helping you out, friend.

Madrox,

How did you remember that? Just got lucky that day! Harry..:):):)

Humility!

harrydeneen
Registered User Join Date: Feb 2003

Madrox,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How did you remember that? Just got lucky that day! Harry..

You simply have to respect a humble champion!!:)

The posts that I have seen from Harry in the time I have been lurking and learning have always been humble, and educational. I appreciate that in people.:)

Greg

"How did you remember that? Just got lucky that day! Harry.."

Harry:

That wasn't luck Harry, that was pure skill.. You may not want to toot your horn, but I will..
Harry "The Tiger" Deneen was and still is, the best rimfire benchrest shooter our sport has ever seen..

Keep it up, Tiger..

Your friend

Dave Smith

Last edited:
Harry Deneen is THE best EVER !!

but i'll always wonder just how far Butch Hongisto would have went, had he not quit:(

if you look at the scores the sporter rifles do out shoot the unlimited rifles. that has left me to wonder why you don't see more sporter rifles in the unlimited class.

i mean it stands to believe that a 36x scope and a sporter would really clean up in the unlimited class, so why are more people not scoping out thier sporters and leaving the sporter class behind?

Back