Buying metal

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Have a need for 2 pcs 1/2 square steel stock minimum 15" length. Mcmaster Carr only showed 12" lengths. On sites that I could find the steel, the shipping costs were double to triple the cost of the steel. Anybody got a vendor that can provide small quantities of steel at a reasonable price.

Have a need for 2 pcs 1/2 square steel stock minimum 15" length. Mcmaster Carr only showed 12" lengths. On sites that I could find the steel, the shipping costs were double to triple the cost of the steel. Anybody got a vendor that can provide small quantities of steel at a reasonable price.

Graingers.

Just go to Graingers, Products, type in Keystock.

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-36-Low-Carbon-Steel-Undersized-5TU94?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5WE31_AS01?$smthumb$

Last edited:
Have you tried Speedy Metals? or maybe even (gasp) flea bay.

First place I tried was Speedy Metals. The price for a 36" pc of 1/2 square was $9 and change but $19.38 was the cheapest shipping. You'd think they could ship it into a small cardboard tube and send it through the mail. Seems like over the last 10-20 years that many companies have tried to turn their shipping departments into profit centers. A month or so ago I ordered a case of .22 ammo from Champion Shooters Supply and didn't see the $46.00 shipping charge until after the package was shipped. Won't order from them again.

Graingers.

Just go to Graingers, Products, type in Keystock.

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-36-Low-Carbon-Steel-Undersized-5TU94?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5WE31_AS01?$smthumb$

Thanks Jackie, they show that at $11.06 for a 36" piece. I had an account with them many years ago but I'll probably have to sign up again. The only problem getting to them is navigating all the construction on I35 in that area. Maybe they'll give me a catalog to peruse for future use.

OK, I signed up with them. Turns out they have a pickup location closer to me than the primary office. Placed my order for that one piece and I'll see how that works. Hadn't thought about them when I ordered my 5 gal pail of headstock lube a couple of months ago. Could have saved some shipping. I'll have to pay more attention to them in the future. Have been getting some metal from Hobby Metal Kits but their selection was rather anemic yesterday.

Last edited:
Jerry,
I just did a metal search in Ft. Worth. Several of them in the area. Most will sell drops. I'll check tomorrow and see if I have any that small.

Jerry,
I just did a metal search in Ft. Worth. Several of them in the area. Most will sell drops. I'll check tomorrow and see if I have any that small.

Butch, looks like I'll be OK on that one piece but if you have more sources that I could approach I'd be grateful for their names. Thanks. I've picked up some drops of barrel metal from the Shilen swap meets but could always use other sources.

I tried Amazon this morning and couldn't find the piece you showed. Must have done something screwy in my search parameters.

Guess my problem was I used "1/2" square steel bar" as my search and didn't reference "key stock".

:)

Typically the Amazon search engine finds very different things with different verbiage.

Many larger towns have a Metal Supermarkets store which sells abstract drops and small (10ft) stock at about twice the going jobshop rate. For hobbyist/prototypers like myself I find this to be reasonable since I'm a concrete guy......I buy my rebar by the pound but that's about it.....

Butch, looks like I'll be OK on that one piece but if you have more sources that I could approach I'd be grateful for their names. Thanks. I've picked up some drops of barrel metal from the Shilen swap meets but could always use other sources.

Jerry, if you know Stick and JD at S&S, they were backed by a guy that was in the metal business. You might contact them. In Garland, Tx I can go to Garland Steel for drops of steel, SS, and aluminum.
I have quite a lot of SS and aluminum if you need any.

Jerry, if you know Stick and JD at S&S, they were backed by a guy that was in the metal business. You might contact them. In Garland, Tx I can go to Garland Steel for drops of steel, SS, and aluminum.
I have quite a lot of SS and aluminum if you need any.

I seem to remember hearing recently that Stick was no longer associated with S&S, but my rememberer ain't that good anymore. Just went to the S&S web site and Stick's picture is still there. I'll see what I can find out there.

Thanks Butch

Freight!

The average hobbyist is all but put out of business, so to speak but freight costs. I noticed when the price of fuel came down, the freight charges didn't :); never do, do they? A business can pass on freight but someone trying to enjoy a hobby generally doesn't have that opportunity. It's no wonder folks buy Chinese stuff from Hong Kong! How they can sell a $10. item and deliver it in a week for free is interesting.

I found a metal dealer about 30 miles from my place that has a great selection and will sell any length or amount one wants. I also found a scrap dealer who sells metal. They sell Aluminum and SS @ scrap prices, regardless of it's configuration. Last time there I bought a 5' piece of Aluminum plate 1"x 8" for $35. I cut a foot off it and sold the rest to a friend who offered me $50. for it and he knew what I paid for the whole thing. I have stocked up on rounds, Alum and SS; probably last me the rest of my life :).

Last edited:
Back