Business is pretty darned good.

jackie schmidt

We just unloaded these new 9" x 30 ft long bars for 8 new boats we will be doing in the next two to three years. These will be used for the Prop Shafts and Rudder Stocks.

I wish I was 20 years younger.

Attachments

• IMG_2763.JPG
    IMG_2763.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 951
Francis, ductility is a big factor in Prop Shafts. The material is mild steel, 1018. You get the strength needed by the size of the shaft. A typical 9 inch shaft can swing a 90 inch diameter propeller at about 1300 horsepower. The speed is usually around 250 RPM.

All criticle surfaces, the Prop Taper, the Bearing Journals, and the Seal Surface are all Stainless Steel weld.

In lay terms, we Machine the shaft down 1/4 inch to the side in the shape of the finished shaft, then weld it up with 308/316L Stainless using submerged arc welding. We then finish Machine the Stainless Surfaces to the finished dimensions. All other exposed surfaces are coated with epoxy resin fiberglass.

There are solid Stainless Steel shafts, it is made from 17-4 at H11-50 heat treat. The drawback is cost, and it's corrosion resistance is rather low.

Here is a 8 1/2 inch diameter shaft we just rebuilt and are fitting the prop too.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21740&stc=1&d=1542227791

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 932
Awesome! I’m not familiar with your industry(marine work), but it appears your shop has earned the reputation to continue in a big way. Congrats to you!

Awesome Stuff !

Jackie, I appreciate you taking the time to share these glimpses of your world with the rest of us. You work in a most unusual field. The size and weight of this equipment blows my mind!

Please keep this sort of thing coming. It's SOOO interesting! :)

Gene Beggs

Francis, ductility is a big factor in Prop Shafts. The material is mild steel, 1018. You get the strength needed by the size of the shaft. A typical 9 inch shaft can swing a 90 inch diameter propeller at about 1300 horsepower. The speed is usually around 250 RPM.

All criticle surfaces, the Prop Taper, the Bearing Journals, and the Seal Surface are all Stainless Steel weld.

In lay terms, we Machine the shaft down 1/4 inch to the side in the shape of the finished shaft, then weld it up with 308/316L Stainless using submerged arc welding. We then finish Machine the Stainless Surfaces to the finished dimensions. All other exposed surfaces are coated with epoxy resin fiberglass.

There are solid Stainless Steel shafts, it is made from 17-4 at H11-50 heat treat. The drawback is cost, and it's corrosion resistance is rather low.

Here is a 8 1/2 inch diameter shaft we just rebuilt and are fitting the prop too.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21740&stc=1&d=1542227791

Holeee Hoppin' Catfishes..... I _think_ what you're saying is..... you machine down to under-size, then build back up with SS material WELDED TO THE BASE METAL which is 1018, then re-machine to size, and fit?

Thank You Jackie for giving me a glimpse into a fascinating world.

Holeee Hoppin' Catfishes..... I _think_ what you're saying is..... you machine down to under-size, then build back up with SS material WELDED TO THE BASE METAL which is 1018, then re-machine to size, and fit?

Thank You Jackie for giving me a glimpse into a fascinating world.

Al, here is a 12 inch x30 ft long shaft we are prepping to be welded now. It started out as a 12 1/2 inch forging.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21742&stc=1&d=1542292198

This shaft is going in one of G&H Towing's 4500 HP Harbor Tugs. They broke one last week.
This is the end of the broken shaft..

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21743&stc=1&d=1542292707

Attachments

• IMG_2764.JPG
    IMG_2764.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 730
  • IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 698
Looks like it has been welded a time or two.

Is that your shoe?

Mort

Whatever it is it's different from the parent material.....so maybe I can assume it went through a process similar to yours? The shaft not the shoe.

Last edited:
Fascinating. Especially to a guy who can't thread a needle, tie his own shoes or hammer a nail straight in...Very intersting stuff

Jackie,

What does one do to pass the time while turning down something that long? We're talking hours per pass, correct? And does that machine have two carriages?

I'd love to hear a description of how you set that up and run it.

Too cool!

Justin

Jackie,

What does one do to pass the time while turning down something that long? We're talking hours per pass, correct? And does that machine have two carriages?

I'd love to hear a description of how you set that up and run it.

Too cool!

Justin
You are correct. Even with two carriages, the Machinist can often have several hours of doing nothing but watching shavings hit the floor.

Of course, everybody has an I Phone now, so often time will pass with what ever entertainment that provides.

But, the Machinist has to be alert at all times as to what is going on. We don't mind the men looking at a phone from time to time, but ear phones are a no no.

Keep in mind, the man running these large lathes are first class Machinist. They no exactly what they are doing and get paid accordingly.

Last edited:
Jackie what do you personally attribute this current up swing in business too and why is it now booming. It has to be real assuring to your employees to have two to three years of work per-say sitting in the bank. It also begs one to ask will you have to be hiring more and possibly having to expand or can it simply remain as it is. And also congratulations towards your business, all your staff and to all the families involved who will benefit from this increased work.

JLouis

Jackie what do you personally attribute this current up swing in business too and why is it now booming. It has to be real assuring to your employees to have two to three years of work per-say sitting in the bank. It also begs one to ask will you have to be hiring more and possibly having to expand or can it simply remain as it is. And also congratulations towards your business, all your staff and to all the families involved who will benefit from this increased work.

JLouis

Louis, I can thank the Federal Government for the upswing in business, especially new construction.

Here is the deal. Up untill about 8 years ago, Inland Push Boats and River Boats came under very few if any regulations. Offshore vessels have always had fairly strict regulations implemented by the Coast Guard and one of the various Certification Entities, such as the American Bureau of Shipping.

About eight years ago, the Coast Guard was assigned the job of implementing regulations to govern the construction, maintenance, and operation of Inland and River Pushboats, especially the ones that push barges loaded with dangerous cargos.

Several years went by with not much being done, but two years ago, they got serious.

Now, boats have to meet standards. This means a regular maintenance schedule for vessels already in service, and stricter regulations on vessels being constructed.

Also, due to insurance cost, and liability, many of the large chemical companies and refineries have mandated that in order to push their product, a vessel cannot be more than 30 years old.

All of this means more repair on older vessels, and a new boat building frenzy.

The most popular Inland boats being built at this time are 2000 horse power to 3200 horse power. Here is a new 2600 we did the work on this summer.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21748&stc=1&d=1542413313

Attachments

• IMG_2451.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 544
Louis, I can thank the Federal Government for the upswing in business, especially new construction.

Here is the deal. Up untill about 8 years ago, Inland Push Boats and River Boats came under very few if any regulations....

Now, boats have to meet standards. This means...stricter regulations on vessels being constructed.

But, I thought Trump said gov't regulations were bad for business. :confused:

Regulations are fine as long as everybody is subject to the same rules.

You have to adapt. You have to keep your certifications current. And you have to turn out only the best in work.

did you miss the part "about EIGHT years ago"
that was not trump.
enforcing a reasonable law is the correct thing to do,
or remove it
trump has removed lots of poor regulations.

and now back to machining.

Big machinery, brings back a lot of fond memories of my apprenticeship. Question, how do you cut the keyway? Is it straight or tapered to the journal?

Back