bolt port config?

TrxR

Going to be ordering a action on monday and had quick question . Im right handed but shoot left and have been running a RBRP 40x rimfire for a few years but am thinking about a LBRP for my 30br build.

Anyone here doing this? I like being able to use my dominant hand to load.

How much of a chance is there of the brass being ejected off the bench if running right port right eject when shooting left handed?

Going to be ordering a action on monday and had quick question . Im right handed but shoot left and have been running a RBRP 40x rimfire for a few years but am thinking about a LBRP for my 30br build.

Anyone here doing this? I like being able to use my dominant hand to load.

I'm right handed/left eye dominant & shoot lefty. Also from a rf background where shooting this way a right port matters In cf I've found it makes no difference as its much easier to load. I ended up with a local rblpre gun in my search to get into cf. I must look like a 3rd base coach with my hands going all over the place but it does not matter to me. I shoot score & I shoot slow.
If I were to order an action it would be lbrp w/bottom eject.

Keith

“I shoot score and I shoot slow”
I whole idea is to be ready when the condition is there. Shooting slow is one thing but taking too long to getting ready to shoot is quite another. Learn to load and get on target quickly and be slow if that’s your wish but taking forever to get ready is a sin, in my book.

Im getting a 30BR built as well, i went for right bolt left port. As im new to BR speed is not so important to me. I have 2x dual port 6PPC's but went for a RBLP so they eject into my hand and drop to the bench as im loading the next round.

Shooting fast in score is a blessing and a curse at times...there is the condition: go, go, go, gsh*&t missed that midfield pickup. A RBLPRE will have higher resale value if you should decide to move on from this gun, but it will also serve you well in the higher levels of score competition. I have seen great shooters load and eject on the same side, and some that don't even eject at all and "pluck" the round out of the action while inserting another just ahead of it.
I decided when I started shooting competitively to go with a RBLPRE and learn how to use it quickly, and efficiently.
Learning what you have and how to use it well cannot be understated - I spent a lot of time loading empty rounds into my gun, dry firing, simulating recoil, and loading while keeping my eyes on the flags in my kitchen.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Mike, agree with you 100% about going too fast & being caught by a velocity change. Happened to me at LCRC the other day. Hense, why I need to slow down. By the way, nice shooting this winter!
Francis, I'm ready for the next shot as fast as anyone I suspect. Its slowing down & paying attention to conditions is my difficulty.

Keith

Thanks, Keith, and good luck with your build. My range is usually not as forgiving as the days I chose to shoot my postals on, but I have a limited schedule and just got lucky. Were I in Damariscotta the results would likely have been a lot different! Say hello to Orland and the boys the next time you see them.
Mike

One of the fastest guys around here was Lowell Hottenstein and he didn’t even have an ejector. The procedure was shoot, pull back on the bolt and at about the same time put a new live round in, on the way out his forefinger brought out the spent case, shut the action. He would put a five shot group on paper in about seven seconds and remember he was a Hall Of Fame shooter. I watched Lowell many time and try to pattern my method after his. Dwight Scott is the same way although in recent years he has gone to an ejector. Bear in mind one thing I didn’t say was part of the shoot and load sequence. I never said look at the target after the shot was taken and before the gun was loaded. After you slide the rifle back forward, now you look at the target. There was too much going on before you look again. You were checking flags, getting back in shape and ready to fire.
The most important piece of equipment a runner has is a good set of brakes. You have to be mindful of switches, let up, and increases in velocity.

My other concern is consistency . My rimfire is RBRP and one week ill be shooting it the next will be the 30br. Also my f/tr rifle is also RBRP.

Brake failure always shows up on the target.
It’s usually followed by “I thought I could shoot through that” or “I didn’t see that”. Or by expletives.

In Group, I shoot. Right Bolt Left Port Right eject on my HV, and. Right Bolt Drop Port on my LV.

My 30BR Score Rifle is a regular Right Bolt Left Port, no eject.

In Group, I shoot. Right Bolt Left Port Right eject on my HV, and. Right Bolt Drop Port on my LV.

My 30BR Score Rifle is a regular Right Bolt Left Port, no eject.

Do they have to be ordered specifically for no eject or can you change that yourself?

Back