bolt port config?

READ MY POST.

I’ll type slow so you can understand....when’’’ordering””...... an...action.....specify......everything.....you.....want.

One of the fastest guys around here was Lowell Hottenstein and he didn’t even have an ejector. The procedure was shoot, pull back on the bolt and at about the same time put a new live round in, on the way out his forefinger brought out the spent case, shut the action. He would put a five shot group on paper in about seven seconds and remember he was a Hall Of Fame shooter. I watched Lowell many time and try to pattern my method after his. Dwight Scott is the same way although in recent years he has gone to an ejector. Bear in mind one thing I didn’t say was part of the shoot and load sequence. I never said look at the target after the shot was taken and before the gun was loaded. After you slide the rifle back forward, now you look at the target. There was too much going on before you look again. You were checking flags, getting back in shape and ready to fire.
The most important piece of equipment a runner has is a good set of brakes. You have to be mindful of switches, let up, and increases in velocity.

Francis, I have always been a "Hunter and Picker", but I have all of the fancy ejectors and drop port on my Group Rifles if the need to run and gun does present it's self.

It's best to be able to do both.

Run and Gun or Hunt and Peck
It makes little difference which method you use as long as you know the good and the bad of each. Having the equipment is important for each, as we all know.

One of the fastest guys around here was Lowell Hottenstein and he didn’t even have an ejector. The procedure was shoot, pull back on the bolt and at about the same time put a new live round in, on the way out his forefinger brought out the spent case, shut the action. He would put a five shot group on paper in about seven seconds and remember he was a Hall Of Fame shooter. I watched Lowell many time and try to pattern my method after his. Dwight Scott is the same way although in recent years he has gone to an ejector. Bear in mind one thing I didn’t say was part of the shoot and load sequence. I never said look at the target after the shot was taken and before the gun was loaded. After you slide the rifle back forward, now you look at the target. There was too much going on before you look again. You were checking flags, getting back in shape and ready to fire.
The most important piece of equipment a runner has is a good set of brakes. You have to be mindful of switches, let up, and increases in velocity.

The first time I ever met Dwight he was shooting at the Nationals at Midland, maybe in 1985 or probably later. He was shooting a dual port Hall action where he loaded with the left hand, pushed the empty out the right hand port while he was loading with the left. Pretty simple way of shooting fast while not having an ejector. Pat Byrne shot a left port action and would flip the empty out at the same time he was loading the live round. Ejectors work great when they work, but nothing worse than an ejector that doesn’t work right 100% of the time.

The first time I ever met Dwight he was shooting at the Nationals at Midland, maybe in 1985 or probably later. He was shooting a dual port Hall action where he loaded with the left hand, pushed the empty out the right hand port while he was loading with the left. Pretty simple way of shooting fast while not having an ejector. Pat Byrne shot a left port action and would flip the empty out at the same time he was loading the live round. Ejectors work great when they work, but nothing worse than an ejector that doesn’t work right 100% of the time.

Pat Byrne. Maybe the best 200 yard shooter I ever competed against.

Just a simple fluid motion, it didn’t seem that fast until it dawned on you how effortlessly he did it.

Back