Barrel Life

O

Octopus

How long does a barrel last? Why are some calibers better than others? Why do some calibers burn out the barrel so fast?

These questions have a lot of answers. And, not all the answers agree. The 264 Win Mag is know as a “barrel burner”. Back in the early 60s there were many stories about barrels being “shot-out” with 500 or less rounds. On the other side there were stories about the 218 Bee and 222 with barrels that last forever. The following are the observations of several shooter that I have noted over many years of shooting.

These items result in shorter barrel life:
1. Burn more powder
2. Big case capacity with smaller diameter bullet
3. The heavier the bullet the faster the barrel washes out
4. Slower burning powders
5. Very high velocity (Usually goes along with the three items above)
6. Very high pressures
7. Rapid fire
8. Hot barrels

Today with the new powders and better quality barrels there are still issues about barrel life and “barrel burner cartages. How long a barrel last depends a lot on what you expect in the way of accuracy. If you happy with 1” @100 yards say 1.0 MOA, barrels last a long time. If you except “hunter accuracy about 3” @ 100 yards barrel life is not usually an issue. Hunting rifle barrels usually go bad from rust, i.e. the lack of cleaning and oiling. But, if you expect precision and demand the very best in the way of accuracy barrel life is a big issue.

My standards are: (@100 yards from stable bench 5 shot group aggs.)
Benchrest Competition Rifles 0.100
Benchrest Practice Rifles 0.200
Live Varmint Field Rifles 0.375
Long Range Hunting Rifles 0.500
Hunting Rifles 1.000
Muzzle Loaders 2.000

If a rifle (Barrel) does not meet these standards it will not find a home in my safe unless it is very old.

I have experienced some powders produce more heat into the barrel than others. For example the IMR powders heat the barrel more than the VV single base powders for the same velocity shot. I do not think this makes much difference overall.

Barrel life is very dependant on one’s accuracy requirement. I want my BR barrels to agg 0.100 or better but I tend to live with a larger agg. At 0.250 the barrel is done by all BR standards but would still be very acceptable for P dogs and other shooting sports. The differences in acceptable accuracy confuses the issue of barrel life reports.

I think there is a slight barrel life advantage shooting moly bullets. I also think the single point cut barrels last a little longer. How well the barrel is cleaned makes a big difference. Barrels that are kept clean seem to last longer. Some cleaning techniques can shorten barrel life. (I use only JP bore paste and Koil. I never use a metal brush or any harsh chemical cleaners in any of my BR barrels.) I bore scope my barrels very often. My cleaning procedures are based on the bore scope and what works for accuracy. There are chemical cleaning procedures that work fine and do not damage the barrels. As long as a workable cleaning procedure is use this should not have a significant impact on barrel life. Corrosion is a barrel killer.

My recorded experience for barrels with high numbers of shots is a follows:

222 1 barrel SST 1-14 Agg std 0.200 over 10,000 rounds and still shooting. Last forever I guess.
223 2 barrel SST 1-9 Agg std 0.250 about 2,000 rounds Failure throat and lands erosion
223 1 barrel CM 1-9 Agg std 0.250 about 2,000 rounds Failure throat and lands erosion
243 1 barrel CM 1-10 Agg std 0.750 Under 2,000 rounds Failure throat and lands erosion
25 BR 2 barrels SST 1-14 Agg std 0.250 about 1500 rounds Still shooting good
25-06 2 barrels SST 1-10 Agg std 0.375 2,000 to 2,500 rounds Failure throat and lands erosion
25-06 2 barrels SST 1-10 Agg std 0.375+ about 1,500 rounds Failure throat and lands erosion
30-06 2 barrels CM 1-10 Agg std 0.75 2,000 + rounds Failure corrosion pits near the muzzle. FL humidly.
308 1 barrel CM 1-10 Agg std 0.50+ 2,000 + rounds Failure throat and lands erosion.
6BR 2 barrel SST 1-14 Agg std 0.200 1,800 to 2,200 rounds Failure throat and lands erosion
6PPC 3 barrels SST 1-14 Agg std 0.200 2,000 to 2,200 rounds Failure throat and lands erosion

I would very much appreciate any knowledge and data that you can add to this subject.

To make the data more usable please always include the acceptable accuracy standard.

For the Agg I use the average of five shot groups. My experience is when the barrels start to go by throat erosion the bullet has to be set almost out of the case to reach the lands. Flyers start to show up. When there are pits in the barrel near the muzzle, usually caused by my poor care, the barrel will group for only three to five shots after cleaning then it opens ups. (As a point of reference the majority of all the rifle barrels I have inspected at gun shows with the bore scope had corrosion pits within five inches of the muzzle.)

My experiences with 22-250 and 25-06 are these calibers burn the barrels out of acceptable accuracy in about 2,000 rounds shooting a mix of 75% below velocity rounds and 25% maximum velocity rounds. The more powder you burn the shorter the barrel life. The barrel is usually best from 300-800 rounds down the tube.

A long range shooter using a 6.5 X 284 shooting slow burning powders and heavy VLD bullets may only get 700 to 1,000 rounds before the barrel’s accuracy drops off. Shooting rapid fire with a hot barrel does shorten barrel life. Shooting the same rifle and load slow where the barrel never gets hot will make the barrel last longer. 1.5 times or more longer. And there is a difference in powders. Some brands of powders burn barrel throats faster than others. If you take the 6.5 X 284 and shoot it for fun keeping the barrel cool using lighter bullets and only shot max velocity loads when needed the barrels will last over 2,000 rounds and still hold accuracy.

The 218 Bee and the 222 barrels will shoot almost forever. These barrels use little powder per shot and rarely get very warm. My friend Capt. Bob’s Ugly Gun with a 222 tight neck barrel has over 20,000 rounds down the tube that we have counted. And the gun and barrel was used when he got it. We think this is a Douglas barrel. It will still shoot aggs under 0.200 and sometimes better.

The Savage factory stainless steel 223 target barrels are quite good. I have seen two of these shoot below 0.500 all the time, below 0.375 some of the time and even better once and a while. These barrel seem to hold hunter accuracy 1” or better for 4,000 shots or more. But they usually open up over ½” after 2,000 rounds or so. For the price the Savage rifles and barrels are a good value.

Some shooters say barrels with single point cut rifling last longer, I think there is some truth to this.

It is important to understand that one must be shooting off a very stable bench, with a very stable 20-40 power scope, a tuned or custom rifle and a very light trigger to obtain the higher levels of accuracy. The bench and the rest gear must be benchrest quality. Most days at least 4 wind flags are needed for 100 yard shooting.

Calibers such as the 6.5X55 and 308 will often go over 4,000 rounds if the right powders and primes are used and if they are not loaded to hot. The 30 BR will go a few thousand rounds and still hold precision.

Calibers such as the 220 Swift, 243, 7 mm Rem Ultra Mag and 300 Win Mag will have shorter barrel life. These cases hold more powder and have smaller neck diameters, which focuses the heat in a smaller area, which makes it more intense. Kind of like the difference between a cigarette lighter flame and a miniature torch flame. They both have a flame but the torch is focus with higher temperature and more heat energy.

The first thing to go in a barrel is usually the throat area and the first few inches in front of the throat. This area can burn out fast. However, accuracy will often hold good when the throat area looks gone. A lot depends on your demand for accuracy. If you are happy with ½” groups barrels last longer.

As said by others smarter than I: “The process most responsible for eating away the steel in the throat is called ablation. Ablation is actual vaporization of the steel from heat as opposed to abrasion, which could be likened to "sandblasting". Much of the talk about sandblasting, abrasion, shoulder angles VS neck length (Turbulence Point Theory) etc is subject to question. Ablation is the result of hot gas impinging upon the steel surface for a sufficient time to melt some steel and carry it away. This is exacerbated by slow-burning powders coupled with large chambers and long barrels. Longer barrels hold the heat and the pressure longer.

Some powders burn hotter that others. Some knowledgeable people feel the "hotter" powder is lesser important than the duration of the event. Keep the heat concentrated on the steel's surface LONGER and you get more heat transfer and gasification of the steel.

These are know to be true:
• Using MORE powder, burning hotter over a LONGER period of time will always decrease barrel life.
• Rapid fire heats the barrel more and barrel burn is much faster.
• Keep your barrel cool and it last longer.

Most of the new calibers have came about not because they are need but because new calibers sell new guns. Look at the Ultra Mag series. Most of all the new calibers have an over bore powder capacity. That is the volume of the case is greater than is needed for the bore diameter. Accuracy does not sell rifles. Velocity sales rifles. When you loose sight of direction make up for it with speed.

Calibers with over bore capacity use lots more powder to gain only slightly more velocity. Recoil and muzzle blast noise go up faster than velocity.

With today’s new and better powders the 308 case has more capacity than needed for the 30 caliber bore. I have yet to see any of the 300 Mags, Ultra Mags or Short Mags better the tested and proven 308 at short or medium ranges. 200 fps never replaces bullet placement.

With today’s powders and premium bullets the Benchrest cases are making a come back. The 6 MM BR is a short version of the 243. It has and continues to win matches out to 1,000 yards. When you shoot a match lots of shots are fired. Recoil is a real issue as is barrel life. The 6 BR betters the 243 in regards to accuracy, recoil, barrel life and is very close in velocity.

For most calibers there is a wildcat version called the Ackley Improved, i.e. the 243 AI, the 25-06 AI and etc. These are the same as the original with the case shoulder mover forward, shorter neck and steeper neck angle. Usually the AI version will produce 200 fps more velocity. The AI versions with the steeper shoulder angles seem to have about the same or better barrel life. But accuracy is usually similar but sometimes the AI is better. With the AI the shorter neck lengths make neck tension more difficult to keep constant. If you load with the bullet into the lands this is not usually an issue.

Keeping the barrel clean and oiled is critical to barrel life. Lack of oil will kill a barrel over time. Barrels do not shoot good with rust and pits in the bore. Calibers with larger powder capacity seem to be more subject to rust and pitting damage. Barrels need to be cleaned from the chamber end and not the muzzle. Cleaning from the muzzle with out a muzzle guide will damage the bore and the muzzle.

Octo, very good post. The only thing I might ask is do you have the latest Precision Shooting magazine? I don't have it at work but there is a very good story referencing the TA area of cartridges. One example was the .243 burning powder outside the case vs the .244 Rem that has better barrel life because the TA is in the case neck. Sorry I can't be more specific, hope this helps you.
Centerfire

Good read...

Pretty much agree, don't have much to add except.... The thought that single point cut barrels are believed to have a slight longer barrel life over button rifled bores of same cartridge and similar loadings, round count.... Most is Apples to Oranges in comparison...

Typically...

Out to .30 cal bores...
Most single point cut barrels are 4 groove... Most Button rifled barrels are 6 groove.... (Apples to Oranges comparison)
Most agree that Button rifled bores are work hardened through their rifling process, cut process does not produce this harder surface.......

Have found that....

The 6 groove button barrels IMOP have very similar life to a 4 groove cut rifled...
But...
Bore dimensions more similar.... I.E. very similar land height and width....
Barrel A. Well known SS Button rifled 4 groove .219 bore in 22PPC at around 1500rds
Barrel B. Well known SS Cut rifled 4 groove .219 bore in 22PPC right at 1500rds

On paper, both barrels agged VERY well through 2008-09 (easily .200). Today at their round count I still can't say one is better than the other.... But with bore scope in the throats.... Barrel A. looks better in erosion, in that the fire checking is considerably shorter/less obvious, though the "bronze" coloring is about the same length in both barrels, about 1 1/4" from the leade of the lands...

One notable difference.... Barrel A. Land leade is in real good shape, all 4 lands still uniform and sharp, almost no rounding or "flattening"... Barrel B. has a pronounced "flattening" of the leade and rounding of the edges... Land erosion on B. was noteable...

Still, at 1500rds in both.. Current accuracy is VERY similar.. Can't say B. is declining faster....

Whish I had pics to show the wear of A. and B. ... Un-scientific but I do believe everything equal, a button rifled barrel has a bit of an edge is throat wear....... Not a lot but it's there...

I don't pay much attention to the wear, most CF cartridges barrels are items we must replace when shot alot.......
Some wear REAL fast no matter what rifling configuration or steel type.... Least not enough to matter.

THOUGH.... When we have a REAL SHOOTER...! It's tough to shoot the thing "over the hill".... I've clung on to the very few
I've had over the years.... Hard to part with the SHOOTER, even when there getting "over the hill"....

cale

Any minimum agg requirements need to differentiate between short and mid to long distance benchrest guns. It is a lot harder to get a fast twist barrel and high BC load for 400+ yards to agg small at 100 than it is to get a gun and load that’ll be used for shorter distances.

I wonder if the effects of barrel wear are more or less pronounced for the longer distances and about how much the game, the target, and personal expectations have to do with when a shooter feels his barrel is starting to fall off.

you need to find some better 223 bbls....
if i read correctly at 2000 rds they were no longer acceptable ???

1/9 is not a great twist for most 22 bullets..that would be a very narrow range.....
1/8 is a common long range, but thier std is 1moa....
i shoot a 1/14 with 52/53......0.2moa
i guess the question is what were you shooting ??
cause most people cannot get a 223 to shoot .25 moa...so using it as a cut off point seems strange....

mike in co

you need to find some better 223 bbls....
if i read correctly at 2000 rds they were no longer acceptable ???

1/9 is not a great twist for most 22 bullets..that would be a very narrow range.....
1/8 is a common long range, but thier std is 1moa....
i shoot a 1/14 with 52/53......0.2moa
i guess the question is what were you shooting ??
cause most people cannot get a 223 to shoot .25 moa...so using it as a cut off point seems strange....

mike in co

I use to own a .223 HV rifle which was built for Score Shooting. I bought it years after it was discarded by the fellow who had it built. he sold i to someone wh never cleaned it. Took me a week to ge the carbon out of it after I bought it. It would agg in the 1's ; Shilen barrel. It was still shooting tiny when I sold it. I don't know where it is now but if I did I woud try to buy it back :).

Octupus,

you say;

"These are know to be true:
• Using MORE powder, burning hotter over a LONGER period of time will always decrease barrel life.
• Rapid fire heats the barrel more and barrel burn is much faster.
• Keep your barrel cool and it last longer."

I will agree with #1

I'm not sure of #2 & #3 (essentially the same thing??) In the world of sporting arms a "hot" barrel reaches what 250-300 degrees? To me "sizzling hot" like sizzles water is HOT!! But is it really hot? Is the 100* difference between a more normal 150 degrees and 250 really meaningful when contrasted against the melting point of barrel steel? Isn't it reasonable to assume that ablation occurs either way?

And on the subject of TPE and abrasion...... I'm a skeptic. Picture this, when peak chamber pressure is reached the bullet has barely moved down the bore. Powder particles are fairly well engaged in burning, swirling about inside the vessel but hardly RUSHING out the neck and BLASTING the throat away... In fact it's hard for me to envision much of a surge until the bullet has left the bore allowing the gas to vent at high velocity.

I'm not trying to swim in the deep end, I don't know much, but IMO stating "this is known" is a liddle premature.

opinionsby

al

I've attempted to insert a barrel life spreadsheet here that predicts much of this.
It does not represent any truths, but is a useful rule of thumb.
Accurate, in this context, is a point degrading from peak.

Attachments

• Barrel life.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,442
It's the same base file. But the revision I posted here drops moly adjustment, and allows shot timing entry(although it was always accounted for).
Hard to imagine anyone still using moly, and shot timing is a very useful adjustment that when used predicts 'competitive' 6PPC barrel life.

Best Post I have read here in years.....

The article might be summed up like: The target will tell you when the barrel is no longer competitive...assuming we are talking about benchrest target shooting. The demands of and definition of accuracy can vary wildly among shooters depending on their demands. --greg

Accuracy seemed established first by the author of the post on these barrels in the calibers on the rifles,having worn out some barrels myself in the some of these same calibers I simply agree with his findings and truly think it is a real informative post.......

Accuracy seemed established first by the author of the post on these barrels in the calibers on the rifles,having worn out some barrels myself in the some of these same calibers I simply agree with his findings and truly think it is a real informative post.......

I agree it is informative. My point is that it's impossible to predict barrel life, other than ball parking it. Just too many variables just as in trying to predict if a blank will be a good one or a hummer. You just have to shoot it to find out. --greg

Let's get at the Longer neck part - - -

If the .222 is known to have a longer barrel life than the .223 is it the lomnger neck protecting the barrel or is it the extra powder making the .223 Overbore?

Pete,

As you know there are many factors that go into "barrel life". My experience is the longer neck seems to help with the barrel life. As you know we are now shooting two 22 Waldogs with slightly longer necks. Far too few rounds in these two barrels to tell anything about barrel life. We do now know that making the neck longer did not hurt the accuracy. May have even made it better. Too close to call. Both barrels shoot very good and have a wider tune band than our PPC barrels. At the shorter ranges we shoot these two barrels are a match for the PPC and with the very light recoil are very smooth on the bags.

From time to time I can beat the 22 Waldog with my 25 BR for small group of the day but never for the best agg of the day. Even in the wind the Waldogs are rarely beat.

I think time will show the longer necks on the 22 Waldog will help on the barrel life. However, I think the over riding factor will be how hard and how often the shooter pushes the pressure curve for the extra velocity as the extra heat in the barrel does make a difference.

With the new cheap digital temperature probes we have today it will be interesting to compare barrel temperature rise under equal conditions for near equal 222 and 223 barrels. I expect you will see a faster rise in barrel temperature shooting the 223 barrel compared to the 222 barrel.

More Data?

Octopus, thanks for the data. Lots of folks think expansion ratio could matter, can you add barrel lengths to your dataset? Also you mentioned slower burning powders - can you add your most common Load data for those barrels - obviously it may not have been the same across the full barrel life. Finally, do you have some more worn out barrels to add to the data since 2011?

Any new data others can contribute?

Octopus, thanks for the data. Lots of folks think expansion ratio could matter, can you add barrel lengths to your dataset? Also you mentioned slower burning powders - can you add your most common Load data for those barrels - obviously it may not have been the same across the full barrel life. Finally, do you have some more worn out barrels to add to the data since 2011?

Any new data others can contribute?

Barrel life is a relative thing. What is your need? Hunting or Group benchrest. In Group benchrest using something like VV133 an expected barrel life varies from about 600 to 1500 rounds depending on how hot the load is. Case capacity in hunting barrels is different since the average shooter will never burn a barrel out just shooting 10-20 shots a year even with a super burner like the 7RUM (about 110 grains of powder). Whereas a 6BR using RL-10X a barrel is gone in about 400-800 rounds. 30.5 grains of 10x in a 6PPC (vel about 3550) takes a a barrel out sometimes in about 350 shots depending on how fast you cycle the shots in a barrel.

"Hot to touch" is un necessary. Just give the barrel time to absorb the immediate heat from a shot. Hot to touch would be about 130 F. Barrel steel can take 1500F ok.

Thank You Jerry

This thread was started by my friend and mentor Jon Newman. I was tasked to build a mold to pour shooting bench tops and legs for a private community where My boss his partner and Jon all owned houses. When the crew had poured all the tops and legs I was to call Jon and arrange for him to come get them. When I got off the phone I wanted to kick myself as Jon had conned me in to delivering them (a 2 hour drive from my home), well he say to bring all my rifles. After that weekend I was there shooting about twice a month for several years. They started having matches and I shot with my Ruger 308VT (I didn't win many cards), I had lots of fun. One day they tried to sell me a real benchrest rifle, I told them if I was to buy a gun it wouldn't be one of their hand me downs. They asked what I wanted and I told them I liked the rifle "Mikie' had. "Mikie" had Parkinsons I think and he shook like a leaf, but his Hall 6PPC would put them in one little hole. Turns out the doctor told "Mikie" not to shoot anymore and soon the rifle was mine. A bunch of us shot asprin matches, wipe out, and fly shots. We had lots of fun. A year and a half later Jon had cancer, it had been in remission for a lot of years and he passed away about three years ago. Jon was an engineer and keep a record of every shot he ever fired, he had a lap top that was only for rifles and loads and data, it had a wealth of info. I miss him a lot. thanks for bringing this old thread up

Back