As a Veteran, I am Appalled

jackie schmidt

We just had two combat vessels seized by the Iranians. The circumstances are still a bit vague, but one thing is not.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...w&hootPostID=7f79c7c01ddf7fbd5edfb56a0bca0995

I have no idea what the rank of this sailor is, but he is a Commissioned Officer, probably a Lieutenant JG, or Lieutenant.

He is probably getting ready to face a severe reality of the military. Civilian's might be able to engage in touchy freely diplomacy and complacent conduct, but Military Officers are held to a higher standard. You do not apologize for anything. Period.

It was bad enough that you allowed your men to be treated like criminals, made to sit in the position of capture. But you forgot that as an Officer, you represent the prestige and power of the United States of America.

Right now, videos of you being humiliated and having your men being treated like criminals are being shown all over Iran. The Iranians are cheering. The Mullah's are high fiving. America is humiliated on the World Stage.

As a Verteran, I am appalled.

Last edited:
jackie,
I have never been in the top of the gulf. But, my understanding is the navigation is real tight.
The rules of engagement prolly was most evident.
The US is not in a declared war with IRAN. Even though, the IED's made by Iran killed more than 500 troops.
Strange that both boats were disabled. Maybe, the same machinist worked on both.
But, Ancient rules of the Sea should have prevailed. Help all seafarers in the time of need.
This might be the first time the Republican Guard has helped stranded sailors. These guys might be in danger themselves.
Read about the Ramadi ISIS guys? Burned alive. MHO.

jackie,
I have never been in the top of the gulf. But, my understanding is the navigation is real tight.
The rules of engagement prolly was most evident.
The US is not in a declared war with IRAN. Even though, the IED's made by Iran killed more than 500 troops.
Strange that both boats were disabled. Maybe, the same machinist worked on both.
But, Ancient rules of the Sea should have prevailed. Help all seafarers in the time of need.
This might be the first time the Republican Guard has helped stranded sailors. These guys might be in danger themselves.
Read about the Ramadi ISIS guys? Burned alive. MHO.

The circumstances of this event do not matter. What I am talking about is this Naval Officer's conduct.

I was not a Commisioned Officer. I made it out as a Sgt E-5 before I ETSed out. But we have men on this Forum who were Officers. I would like to hear their view on this Officers conduct.

Last edited:
As a veteran I am imppalled

The circumstances of this event do not matter. What I am talking about is this Naval Officers conduct.

I was not a Commisioned Officer. I made it out as a Sgt E-5. But we have men on this Forum who were Officers. I would like to hear their view on this Officers conduct.

He certainly has a lot of explaining to do.

Lack of communications, running out of fuel, and with GPS how could he be out of position?.

Looks like a big screw up to me,

He remind,s me of John Kerry,s action in nam another screw up''

I hope he's not a graduate of Annapolis""

And john kerry thanking them for letting them go?
Last nite they told em to cut em loose- they said its dark, maybe tomorrow. And that was ok to us? I am so disappointed.

Jackie, you are absolutely right. I was a commissioned officer in the Army and the Lieutenant's behavior was very close to treason. However, with the leadership that comes from POTUS such as swapping 5 hardened terrorists for one deserter, one expects such behavior. John Kerry along with Barack should be impeached. James Mock

We don't know much about what the situation was and what the orders were for such a situation but the sailors were under duress. Self preservation is the first law of nature. That those people are ass holes is a known fact, but we are not at war with them, yet.

Concho Bill

Usn

We just had two combat vessels seized by the Iranians. The circumstances are still a bit vague, but one thing is not.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...w&hootPostID=7f79c7c01ddf7fbd5edfb56a0bca0995

I have no idea what the rank of this sailor is, but he is a Commissioned Officer, probably a Lieutenant JG, or Lieutenant.

He is probably getting ready to face a severe reality of the military. Civilian's might be able to engage in touchy freely diplomacy and complacent conduct, but Military Officers are held to a higher standard. You do not apologize for anything. Period.

It was bad enough that you allowed your men to be treated like criminals, made to sit in the position of capture. But you forgot that as an Officer, you represent the prestige and power of the United States of America.

Right now, videos of you being humiliated and having your men being treated like criminals are being shown all over Iran. The Iranians are cheering. The Mullah's are high fiving. America is humiliated on the World Stage.

Jackie.... AND OTHER OLDER VETERANS...... The training you and I had ( USN '65-'69 )..... is much different today......they still train you to stay alive and kill your enemy....but to do it all and be "POLITICLLY CORRECT".... WHAT B.S...
All we can hope to do as the older generation is instill our proper respect for our country/flag/...... Bowing to no one....
bill larson

It's just a Job

I am a veteran. First, I would like to thank our men and women for their service to this great Country.

An equipment malfunction(GPS),true or false, is a good excuse for getting caught in the wrong Sea Space.

I’m sure the response to this situation was a part of this Officers Military training. What that training is, I have no idea. I remember being told,If you get captured by the enemy, give name ,rank and serial number. Maybe that’s changed to include an apology For an equipment malfunction.

We have an all volunteer Military, made up of men and women who like the benefits. As someone else correctly stated, at the end of the day,they just want to go home to their families.

Glenn

Military Code of Conduct

Seems this is not in effect anymore

Code of Conduct for Members of the United States Armed Forces
I. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
II. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.
III. If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.
IV. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.
V. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause
VI. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

I am a vet and I am appalled that the average American is so uninformed about what is REALLY going on with this 911 "war on terror " BS. But since most Americans don't give a damn as long as they can use their little plastic credit card and get gas, groceries, and dollars they focus on Dancing With The Stars, or that stupid Duck Dynasty instead of the real world goings on.

That little plastic card they pay 35% interest on, while the greedy banks get by paying 1% for that money, or just simply print more at the FED and WE pay the FED to,print it AND PAY the FED to use it......

REALITY TV? Study up on the REALITY world!!

We'll see...

We'll see if there is any followup. Maybe the word is out, "Do NOTHING" to endanger our recent agreement with Iran. I see they had their token woman with them. Still....

Virgo

Well, there were no shots fired, nobody harmed, and we will soon see the ten sailors at the White House with the President.

The leader was not John Paul Jones and the President was not Thomas Jefferson.

Bill

Code Of Coduct and the UCMJ.....???

We don't know much about what the situation was and what the orders were for such a situation but the sailors were under duress. Self preservation is the first law of nature. That those people are ass holes is a known fact, but we are not at war with them, yet.

Concho Bill

Bill........ This is the oath we took..... You comment is in direct difference....

I. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
II. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.
III. If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.
IV. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.
V. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause
VI. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

It doesn't sound to me like anyone knows what actually happened.

Rushing to judgement without a compelling reason to do so is wrong.

Bill........ This is the oath we took..... You comment is in direct difference....

It might be worth a mention that the code is for a conflict/ war. The unfortunate circumstances here were not in a combat environment. I am not disagreeing with you, however, that strikes me as significant.

Back