Are "black rifles" allowed

Mike,

are you running pistons?? I would think the gas system would be the way to go for accuracy and less recoil.

Did you figure out a recoil operated system with no gas port at all??

pf

no they are built as single shot rifles....
the idea is to go head to head with conventional bolt guns.

gas is better than piston for accuracy, none is even better.

mike in co

You are quite right...

The bolt design is really cool. It unloads the locking lugs as it rotates to unlock. Bottom line is that the design is superb. Unless you've owned an AR, and studied how they work, you can't fully appreciate them.

Michael

You are quite right Mike. I had absolutely no respect for the AR before my friend Nez Rongero switched from benchrest to service rifle competition. After employing benchrest reloading techniques and finding the right bullet, his stock Colt HB ARi5 would put five into a half inch group at 200 yds. Good enough to be well into the "X" ring. He went on to winning match after match and now is a "High Master" shooter; not an easy achievement.

Modern excellent powders and bullets make the AR one of the most accurate semi automatic rifles in the world. However, laying, sitting, and standing in the hot sun with a stiff jacket and all the other garb it takes for Hi-Power or Service Rifle competition does not appeal to me. I'm content just setting along side a bench and pulling the trigger. But...I do have a a great respect for the competitive rifles in all shooting disciplines. Benchrest, Service Rifle, Hi-Power, Palma, or F-Class; modern bullets, powder, cases, primers, and scopes make all the rifles involved extremely accurate equipment and command a great deal of respect. Even American manufacturers like Savage are listening to shooters and producing extremely accurate rifles right out of the box.

I't a great era for shooting folks...well off to the range to resupply the earth with copper.;)

Good shooting to all...virg

Back