AOA Windicator

Brian,

Thanks for posting this. I have seen lots of Windicators over my 20 years at the bench, but this one is the best for sure. For one thing, it incorporates the rise/fall indicator to show up and down drafts into the device along with telling the "approximate" wind speed. I've use a combination of a "Windicator" and dipsey doodle wind flag with good success in both rimfire and airgun, but this I think is better where it shows what's happening in a single glance rather than having to focus on multiple flags/windicators to achieve the answer. Of course, the more of these you set out, the better off you'll be as you would simply have to sit back and wait for everything to coordinate before pulling the trigger. Then again, if everything is showing the same condition, only from different directions, more wait time would be in order.

Thanks again. At least now I know what to ask for for Christmas.

Dave

Sweet... It even comes with a rimfire/center fire hold off chart so you can learn the opposite of what really happens.

it is a very professional looking flag set
BUT
the chart Shane is holding in the video does not make any sense ???
the instructions (step2) say to mark center of the group shot holding dead center with the direction and strength indicated by flags
here is chart he is holding in the video,note where the marks are ???
attachment.php

step2
attachment.php

Attachments

• video-chart1.jpg
    video-chart1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 8,921
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,087
it is a very professional looking flag set
BUT
the chart Shane is holding in the video does not make any sense ???
the instructions (step2) say to mark center of the group shot holding dead center with the direction and strength indicated by flags
here is chart he is holding in the video,note where the marks are ???
attachment.php

step2
attachment.php

Maybe I'm missing something but on the chart what they are showing is POA, and they're ok.

For a L to R wind...... Drag stabilized projectiles rise, while Spin stabilized projectiles drop. They are showing a rimfire/centerfire chart....which is not particularly helpful for airgun pellet shooting. If a pellet shooter takes those hold off suggestions to heart.... they will be very disappointed with their scores.

Mike

Thank you Mike
the chart does not show what the instructions say to do
and as you state it is wrong for Air Rifle shooting
i would have thought Shane would see the mistake
Pedro here is my (POI) point of impact chart like the one you are supposed to make per instructions
not POA

Attachments

• Pellet Drift Chart.jpg
    Pellet Drift Chart.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,324
mirrored makes the video chart a POA correct for us :rolleyes:

Attachments

• proper-video-chart1.jpg
    proper-video-chart1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,462
Always learning guys... thanks
I have looked like a RF, not an airgun chart, that, indeed I don't have much experience... yet!

The way to remember this is that its the same relationship as between government and the economy: moving from right to left it goes DOWN ;)

My experience is not to rely on any chart, those charts are for a perfect scenario which you seldom have. Shoot till you know your rifle, you will have a better understanding when not to pull the trigger. I have tried many gadgets in my life, not to say this one doesn't do the job but a good windicator, flags and tails will get the job done. My brain doesn't like to be overloaded with to much, so I keep it simple. Personally I do not use a windicator, totally relying on my flags and most important the tails.

Regards,
Joe

Personally I do not use a windicator, totally relying on my flags and most important the tails.

Regards,
Joe

Totally agree with Joe. A good set of flags with sail tails (my preference) gives me all the information I can handle.

I like the theory and often ingenuity behind wind indicators, but all that bobbing up and down, swinging from side to side and spinning round just overloads the brain cells.

But if they work for the shooter, that’s fine.

Joe made a good point - often a great score will be produced, not from when you pull the trigger, but when you don’t….words of a wise man.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, great stuff around here.

Talking about tails...
I use the BRT flags with their original two type tails, the yellow for stronger winds and the black for the kinder ones.
Do you use other type of tails? What would be the material preferred by you?
Thanks.

I use the Mike Ezell windflags :

They are bright almost fluorescent which means I can see them in all light conditions. The tails I have are the same colour as in the video, but I would say stiffer??, more like the BRT ones. I keep them in a plastic tube so they retain their curve.

As far as I’m aware the material is marine sail cloth which I’m assuming you can get in various weights.

Brian

There are 2 flags I use, the Ezell and Hill, dependent on the conditions for that day. The Hill flags are the same as the old Wick flags which are double vane and easy and quick to pick up and read the angles. Personally do not like a single vane flag but the Ezell flags are designed well and one of the easier single vane flags I've found to read. Brian is correct they have different weight material in sail cloth but last time I purchased they only went so far. For really calm days or even our night shoots for rimfire, I will switch over using material cut from your local grocery store plastic bag. These are the lightest I've found and only used in those calm to seemingly dead calm conditions.

Jerry Hensler also makes a great flag that is very light and responsive in really calm conditions.

Regards,
Joe

Reading lite wind conditions

I have been shooting Benchrest since around 1993. I have not been able to learn how to read conditions when things appear to be calm. I know some folks have learned because they always shoot better than I do.

Would it be possible to have a discussion on reading lite conditions? PLEASE, Pretty Please - - -

Pete

Our shooting partner at the Nationals had a homemade windicator. I found that I was focusing on it (& it was more helpful in many cases) more than the 4 wind flags we had out. I found it to be a great asset & have since purchased a Beggs windicator. Have not had an opportunity to use it yet. Our next match is 10-14. (Information provided by a mediocure shooter; so you can take it with a grain of salt if you wish.) :rolleyes:;)

Steve W.

Back