AOA Windicator

Would it be possible to have a discussion on reading lite conditions? PLEASE, Pretty Please - - -

Pete

I'll give my theory Pete (for what it's worth). When conditions are lite, you know, flags are fluffing about, tails bobbing slightly up and down. Shoot quick , don't second guess yourself, adjust your POA from the previous POI and complete the card in around 11 to 12 minutes (quicker would be even better, but 12 mins is good for me).

Not saying it works every time, but when it does (which I've found to be the majority), you can put in some very high scores - putting three together is of course the hard part ;)

Brian

Pete,

I guess the best thought would be to get yourself one of them thar smokers like the one shown in the video for when conditions are lite and questionable. Of course, that would not be appreciated down at Paul's for the Indoor Matches! But, then again?

See you in November.

Dave

In other words

Pete,

I guess the best thought would be to get yourself one of them thar smokers like the one shown in the video for when conditions are lite and questionable. Of course, that would not be appreciated down at Paul's for the Indoor Matches! But, then again?

See you in November.

Dave

You don't know either or you ain't tellin :).

Pete

You have done a great job in such a good way great work indeed.

There's another new windicator coming to market:

https://www.facebook.com/Range.Windmeister/

One of the videos shows what appears to be a vertical component of wind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=ykhlgFkXgLA

Which raises a question: How often are vertical deviations due to gun/pellet issues (Magnus effect, etc), and how often wind? If vertical wind components are significant, should flags show it so we can hold for it?

Hi there, I am the inventor of the Windmeister.
So let me explain the vertical aspect. Most are used to side wind, but on most ranges that have structures and/or berms, there will be turbulence which will produce downdrafts or updrafts.
And in some instances if the the head/tail wind force is large enough it will start to affect your trajectory. Both of these scenarios are accounted for on the device, but independently adjustable.

Are there any restrictions in 100-200 LV-HV BR on the non wind flag type of wind indicators like the Windicator or the Windmeister? Is it pretty much anything goes that isn't electronically assisted in any way like a Kestral type unit?

I don't think there are any restrictions, other than vertical height placement.
Have to be under an imaginary line formed by the bench and bottom of the target (paper)

I have been shooting Benchrest since around 1993. I have not been able to learn how to read conditions when things appear to be calm. I know some folks have learned because they always shoot better than I do.

Would it be possible to have a discussion on reading lite conditions? PLEASE, Pretty Please - - -

Pete

Pete - you're not going to believe this but the answer to your question is within the rifle rather than the ability to read the wind. There are rifles that shoot well in one or the other...and a few that shoot well in both. I don't know if you can swap ammo and have both but I'm pretty sure I'm telling you straight up. Yeah, I know that doesn't seem possible but it is.

Who would have thunk it !!!

Pete - you're not going to believe this but the answer to your question is within the rifle rather than the ability to read the wind. There are rifles that shoot well in one or the other...and a few that shoot well in both. I don't know if you can swap ammo and have both but I'm pretty sure I'm telling you straight up. Yeah, I know that doesn't seem possible but it is.

Not surprised to hear that Wilbur; I guess - - - . Interesting game, this, eh? As you know, some say it's an air density situation but then, I have yet to see any indicators that will indicate said conditions, readily, have you?

An old lad who was shooting IBS Score when I first started said the Bergers shot better in the wind but he got more Xes with Eubers. :). Figure that one out if you can.

Pete

Last edited:
AOA Windicator owner

I am new to this forum and while browsing just saw the thread about the Windicator. Just wanted to comment on my experience owning one. I bought one after seeing it listed on AOA ‘s web site. First, let me explain what prompted me to spend that much. I simply needed to read the wind better. This has always been my weak point in target shooting. I’m sure I’m not alone. Considering what I have already spent on this sport it seemed a worthwhile investment. I have been shooting for some time and currently competing with a Raw BM500, Daystate AirWolf and a TX200. All these guns shoot very tight groups. I have always struggled with reading wind flags. I have tried and owned wind flags with ribbons, strings, flags that point into the wind and point with the wind and with and without propellers. ( have some for sale if anyone interested. ) I have tried multiple flags be between the target. For me this is data overload. I realize that many shooters have become very proficient reading these types of wind flags and are content to continue. But for me I find myself always migrating to one flag that seems to read the average wind conditions of the other flags. When I saw the Windicator I had to try it. I guess my desire to shoot better is a passion yet to be satified. The Windicator is very will made. The quality it great. The documents included are spot on. The suggested aim point chart helped me immensely learning to read the wind. I can tell you that the video showing the Windicator and what I got were not the same. Perhaps changes were made during video production and never got communicated. Nevertheless, I found the suggested aim point chart quite accurate. I particularly liked the ‘ Plot your shot charts ’. This allowed me to chart my aim point for each of my rifles. I can tell you there is a hold over difference between a 12 ft-lb and a 34 ft-lb rifle. I am sure most of you already know that. By concentrating on the Windicator during windy conditions and using my plotted charts I have improved significantly hitting the target. The hold-over repeatability of waiting for a certain wind condition by reading the Windicator was awesome. I know with a little more practice I won’t need my charts. Thanks for reading this.

Not surprised to hear that Wilbur; I guess - - - . Interesting game, this, eh? As you know, some say it's an air density situation but then, I have yet to see any indicators that will indicate said conditions, readily, have you?

An old lad who was shooting IBS Score when I first started said the Bergers shot better in the wind but he got more Xes with Eubers. :). Figure that one out if you can.

Pete

Yes, it's an interesting game for sure....but that's all I know for sure. You either spend your life and money being a winner or spend your life and some money being an occasional winner. Keep in mind that there are folks involved that have enough money to burn a wet mule.

I don't believe you have the time to evaluate exactly what the wind is doing. You have to be shooting a rifle that doesn't really care what the wind is doing...within reason of course.

Here is an interesting factoid that I will share without opinion since it would be irrelevent in this example.
A few years back when probes came on the scene they became popular in RF and somewhat used in CF.
I was party to a conversation about windprobes tnat was lead by a very well known shooter, gunsmith, componant maker who is very scientific and indicated he did some research involving talking to folks that had given him data on the way we process information via our eyes.
Essentially he stated he was not a fan and used a standard array of flags because our eyes can pick up variences whithin similar flags much quicker, and the brain can process them better than two or more very different types of indicators placed downrange. We can simply process a varience with a spinning propellor or tail for one of similar devices than very different ones. Always found that rather interesting.

I often wonder about the very same issue

I use two probes and believe they have helped in telling me when NOT to shoot but they ARE distracting I believe also. At my age and with my eyes these days, I can process as well as I use to be able to. I have used the probes so long I feel naked without them. One thing I have observed, when I miss seeing the front probe move a lot, the miss is about double what the second probe says it should be. I find myself looking beyond it once in awhile and get burned pretty bad for that lapse.

Pete

Pete, that lead to take more focus to the front flags, meaning they drive the decision, and the others just modulate the decision, right?

You either spend your life and money being a winner or spend your life and some money being an occasional winner. Keep in mind that there are folks involved that have enough money to burn a wet mule.

Wilbur, your down-to-earth sayins are good readin' -- keep 'em comin'. :)

Well, it doesn't always

Pete, that lead to take more focus to the front flags, meaning they drive the decision, and the others just modulate the decision, right?

A few years ago, I started placing a flag just forward and a bit left of the target frame. If that flag turns straight , either coming or going, your bullet will go some place you don't expect. On the other hand, I once shared a bench with a lad who used two close flags and a weather station. He shot pretty well. That said, considering my experience with the flag at the target frame, I don't know how he shot so well.

The front or nearest flag is ultra important but so is the last one; heck, at times, all of them are important ain't they?

Pete

I'm just saying this as a possibility...but maybe that fellow's rifle shot such that he didn't need so many flags. I've had a couple of such rifles (barrels) and all you had to do was wait untill the wind died a bit and shoot 5 shots...then get your trophy. Was a real eye opener for sure.

And...as Pete said, all flags are important. Different ranges, different days, etc....You've at least got to start the match watching every flag you can and use the sighter to learn what you really need to watch as the day progresses. All I'm saying here is try not to ruin you're chances with a preconcieved notion.

Last edited:
Back