Any reports on the new 30 BR powder?

Pete - I assume you're talking about LT-30? If so, it has shipped. I bought a couple of 1 lb cans from Graf & Sons before they sold out. Haven't tried it yet but hope to when we finish my dad's 30 BR.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I haven't seen anything written lately about it. Is it out there yet?

Pete

I bought 128 pounds of it Pete. If we have some decent weather I'll get my Oehler out and give u a call and let you know how it worked out. 2 more Saturdays from now in Damariscotta. You going to be there?

Last edited:
Nope, I won't make it

I bought 128 pounds of it Pete. If we have some decent weather I'll get my Oehler out and give u a call and let you know how it worked out. 2 more Saturdays from now in Damariscotta. You going to be there?

Don't leave here until the 1st and I plan to stay in Ct until the snow melts somewhat. I'm gonna fit a HV barrel to my BAT and shoot some VFS this year. I have a couple that need minor fitting; not that an HBR barrel wouldn't shoot well enough but the one I am currently using is very picky about bullet/powder and I ran out of the bullets it likes. Imagine an 18 twist that doesn't like short bullets! I have one.

Pete

That's quite a committment Jim

I can't see that far down the road any more :D

Pete

You bought four cases? Now I feel like a piker buying only two 8 pounders.

You bought four cases? Now I feel like a piker buying only two 8 pounders.

Jerry. I originally ordered 18 eight pounders of LT30 which is 144 pounds. When they were totaling my bill, at the last second, I asked the woman who was taking my order if she wouldn't mind subbing 2 eight pounders of LT for 2 eight pounders of Norma 200. I saw that Graf had some, but I wasn't going to pay $229.95 per 8lb jug, so I just waited and checked all the dist everyday and two weeks ago Mid-South had them for $204.20. The stupid thing was that Fed-Ex had to come 3 days in a row to deliver it because the driver told me that he could only deliver 48 pounds max per day. Hey the way I looked at it if it works, then I'll have all one lot number. If it doesn't work, I'll just sell it. I have a rifle chambered in 30 Gorilla that I want to try that and the Norma 200 in. Both should work very well with that cartridge. Ya Pete, it is strange about that 18 twist barrel not liking those short jacket bullets. I received 2 Krieger 18 twist blanks by mistake and I was going to sell them but after discussing using them with Sid and Dean, I'm going to have one chambered for the fairly new Bat that I bought off Shinny last year. I know Grosbier uses an 18 twist and he does pretty well with it. He shoots 112 Bib's in his. I don't have too many of those left, so I bought 5 thousand 112's from Bart a couple of weeks ago and I can't wait to see how those babies fly. Pete, do you remember Goody's 30 Jag?

Last edited:
I have a writers' sample of a couple of pounds, and I have been trying it for things other than .30BR (which I realize is no comfort to those who shoot that caliber). The interesting part is that it looks very good for the 6PPC. I am just getting started with my range work, but so far, it looks like it may be really promising. If you think about it, back in the day there was some exceptional shooting done with 4198...(which I am told is about the same speed as this powder) but it was hard to throw accurately, and tended to have pressure issues on days when the temperature was hot in the afternoon. This powder is so fine that it is extremely easy to throw accurately, and Lou tells me that he has tested it in warm weather and it does not have the problems that IMR 4198 had when it gets hot. What we seem have here is a faster version of LT32. It was getting too windy when I stopped my last range session, but based on preliminary results, I found what looks like it will be a good load at around 27.9 grains, behind a rather conventionally shaped Gentner 65 grain FB, that I seated well into the rifling, with a lot of neck tension. The barrel is not one that tunes in a typical fashion. It is a Rock Creek with 5R rifling, that has a mind of its own. The powder level was at the neck shoulder junction. but the bullet's long shank helped compensate for the lack of fill, and I do not think that it will be an issue. During a previous session, I did a one shot per load test with half grain steps (looking at pressure rather than for tune), and by the time that I felt a bolt lift issue, I was having to drop the powder slowly to get it to fit like I wanted (different bullet and seating depth). Again, this barrel does not make pressure like my others. All of my testing has been with Federal primers. Looking at the inside and outside of my case necks, and the time that it takes to clean my barrel with Patch Out and Accelerator, it does not seem to be particularly dirty, which of course pleases me. I hate having to work with dirty powders. I know that none of this will be particularly useful to the .30BR shooters, but I thought that some of the rest of you might be interested.
On an unrelated matter, you would not believe how fast it can make a .22 35gr. no lead (I live in CA) ballistic tip go when shot from one of my .222s. No, it is not a waste of time; the BC is .201.

Last edited:
There's never been a powder for the 6PPC as good as 4198 - when the temperature was right. I think several powders fit the same deal. It's a powder that can last the day out that's best. I often wondered, but never tried, how an agg would go if you shot 4198 until it got warmer and then finished the day with something that stood the temperature well. Kinda not worth wondering about given the fact that folks are shooting simply amazing aggs with a single powder.

I have tried shooting 4198 for a whole summer day. You can't run from it much less ease away. First off it quits shooting well and second, your cases won't last another day. I'll say that if you want a good group to start with, shoot 4198 - then switch to something else before it's too late.

I shot the small group at the last short range match in sta Louis with LT30 in a 6ppc. 27.0 grain and a fowler bullet just touching the lands. I wish I had found this seating depth a little sooner. I think that LT30 will be a must have powder, for the 6ppc and the 30BR. time will tell!! Lee

At this years Crawfish, I wasted all day Saturday trying to make 4198 shoot. The best I could do was a couple of small twos, the rest were just terrible. Granted, I just screwed on a old barrel that used to shoot decent, (haven't been working with a 6 much as of late), so maybe I need to chamber up a new barrel.

I tried anywhere from 26.2 grns to 27.5. It just would not agg.

I have 16 pounds of Norma 200 that I have tried in my 30BR. It shoots OK, but it won't hold a candle to 4198.

As I have said before, LT-30 might be good for a 30BR, but to beat 4198, it better be REALLY good.

At this years Crawfish, I wasted all day Saturday trying to make 4198 shoot. The best I could do was a couple of small twos, the rest were just terrible. Granted, I just screwed on a old barrel that used to shoot decent, (haven't been working with a 6 much as of late), so maybe I need to chamber up a new barrel.

I tried anywhere from 26.2 grns to 27.5. It just would not agg.

I have 16 pounds of Norma 200 that I have tried in my 30BR. It shoots OK, but it won't hold a candle to 4198.

As I have said before, LT-30 might be good for a 30BR, but to beat 4198, it better be REALLY good.

Ever tried going hotter with 4198 with the PPC? In sub 75* temps, I've been pretty successful running significantly hotter than that. Any warmer, and no luck...
In the 30's RE7 will shoot, as well as N130. I sold the last of my RE7 to Pete as it just burns dirty compared to 4198 and N130...but it will shoot. I do agree though, day in and day out, 4198 is the ticket.

my predictions---- LT30 will be the powder to shoot in the 6ppc within 3 years. N133 will always be around, and LT32 will no longer be made. those are my predictions. LOL In all seriousness LT30 is a good powder!!!! Lee

What is the 30 Gorilla?
Larry Feusse who is a gunsmith and shooter from Michigan came up with his own version of the 6.5 Grendel case necked up to 30 caliber and called it the 30 Gorilla. He started a company called Gorilla Precision LLC. Larry's cartridge has a 35 degree shoulder instead of the usual 30 degree as found on say the 30 Major which is another version of the 6.5 Grendel case necked up to 30.

Last edited:
Back