Anxious for clear weather to try Beggs Tuner

Jim Borden

I have installed one of Gene's tuners on a LV 6PPC. Since I am a believer that the tuner weight needs to be beyond the crown--the muzzle is recessed about 5/8 inch.

I hope warmer weather arrives soon.

Top picture is with recessed muzzle
Bottom picture is with standard muzzle

Beggs_recessed_muzzle.jpg

beggs_tuner.jpg

Nice looking job Jim

Years ago I had a Lamon Loggins 40 X RF rifle I use to compete with. During the time I owned it I had 3 different tuners on it, a Turbo, a Harrels, both of which hung out over the muzzle and a Fudd which I kept even with the muzzle. That rifle liked the Fudd better but all three made a marked difference in the way the barrel shot. Just my experience on a different sort of rifle.

Thanks Pete

the approach with this unit is paralleling what has been successful on rimfire guns I have built. the barrel is 24 inches long, 4.1 inches from the front of action to end of 1.2 diameter cylinder. Then the barrels steps to .9 and is that diameter to the muzzle.

cylindrical_barrel_2.jpg

cylindrical_barrel.jpg

Hoping to build on what Jackie and Gene have done while using some of Bill Calfee's ideas

That makes all kind of sense Jim

Did you notice any difference in bore size after you turned the barrel down or did you buy it that way? I guess, thinking about it, stopping the Muzzle is done with weight beyoud the muzzle. Yes, I am one of them "Snake Handelers" too! -:)

Last edited:
preturned

Pete

Got the barrel from Hart Rifle barrels preturned. I have three more of them in a couple of diameters for experimentation.

Just a thought.

If the tuner is beyond the barrel will the gas leaving behind the bullet destabilize a boat tail and not a flat base or it doesn't affect either. Just wondering what the gases are doing inside the turner with the bullet still there. :confused:

gt40

The pressure

should be the same no matter where the gasses are in a contained environment in terms of the bullet flight. In other words, no difference.

Jim, what method did you use to attach the tuner body to the barrel?

Gonna' be an interesting year. I hope you don't get pounced like I did.

I will have photos later today of the Shadetree Engineering -Shelley tuner. It uses the Calfee idea of beyond the muzzle weight. We tried the threaded barrel and it seemed to need constant attention. I think we are going to find that the weight beyond the muzzle will have a much wider tune. I have talked to Frank Green at Bartlein and Wade Hull at Shilen about a tuner contour. They have agreed to do them. I will send the files to Frank next week from our Cad program. Wade has a copy already.
My Grandson's Leonard stocked Drop port was shooting dots today. With 1100ft.
of DA change we had 1/2 bullet hole of vertical. Moved it 2 lines and the vertical disappeared. Ours are threaded 32TPI. The lines and numbers are laser engraved.
The programs have been written for our tuners and should hit here in no more than 2-3 weeks.
They will be on our website and classifieds here within a week. Bill Calfee, you can laugh your head off. Tuners are here to stay.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

I played with mine today

Its a behind the muzzle like you 2nd picture. I discovered that it only takes a 1/4 turn to move the impact point and the shape of the group. I left mine on the setting the rifle liked at this paticular time.----- Jerry, there is 2 pieces and they work as jam nuts

barrel contour

Jim, i have a couple barrels with nearly the same contour as yours. straight for 4 inches, step to .900 then straight. even crowned it at 24 inches. I tried it with a hoehn style tuner. it took hardly any constriction to keep it on by the way. as per Harrel's suggestion, used loc-tite between barrel and tuner. I didn't give it much of a go really. Ibs voted em out right after i got them so i just put it away. it was very difficult to remove the tuner even with the screws out. Seeing yours makes me want to try it again. since mine is .900, it should be perfect for Shelley's tuner. (i had Shelleys'on my 22-.100 which turned out to be "dog" barrel, that would not shoot.)

I had installed a few "integral" brakes by recessing the crown like yours appears in the photo. it really amazed me that the crown could be so sharp when recessing with an end mill...What do you recess with?

Kirk

0.9 that long ?

Jim, I wonder if you run the contour (0.9) for that long wont you be building in whip only to try to dampen it with the tuner. what's your thinking?

nick the *****

Jerry, Jim said in his original post that the muzzle was recessed about 5/8". There is no tuner body per say.
Thanks Joel. What I am trying to figure out is the counterbore in the barrel face itself or is that a sleeve fastened onto the barrel.

From the pictures, and if that is not an attached sleeve, Jim must have two barrels prepared for tuner testing.

Jim said:
9 x 28 TPI Thread and the two washers tighten against each other.
This jam-nut design is like what Scott Hamilton and I came up with in 2005. I found out for sure that the entire tuner assembly must lock up solid.

There are several spring-ball/detent tuners that are used on rimfires that will not deliver predictable results on a centerfire unless they are modified to lock up solid after each adjustment.

Shadetree Tuner

The tuner that I've been building and probably should be called the Speers, Stewart, Varmint Al and Shelley tuner as it was a joint effort, will be made by Shadetree Engineering very soon. My slow machinery keeps me from being competitively priced so I have joined with Butch Lambert and Thom Reed to take advantage of their ability to get machine work done on a low bid basis on high speed CNC machinery. That means that Shadetree Engineering will be offering my tuner at a much reduced price so as to be competitive with the market place.

The first tuner we made went on Ralph Stewart's rifle. Very soon, because of the success Ralph was having while shooting at the Denton Range, almost every other Denton Shooter had me install tuners on their guns. So far, everyone who has one of the tuners is very happy with it's ability to change and maintain tune on a BR rifle.We've had a heck of a lot of fun at Denton this winter.

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

I have installed one of Gene's tuners on a LV 6PPC. Since I am a believer that the tuner weight needs to be beyond the crown--the muzzle is recessed about 5/8 inch.

I hope warmer weather arrives soon.

Hi Jim. I'm also waiting on some decent weather for testing. I've got a 'Gene-er' ;) muzzle gizmo to try also.

I like the idea of the weight beyond the muzzle...but I also suspect this is one area where the rimfire technology may not directly apply to centerfire stuff, due to the huge differences in muzzle pressures. It seems we are introducing two more very big variables: we now have the 'original' muzzle, what is effectively an 'expansion chamber' and finally the 'second' muzzle. My big concern is the dynamics of the high pressure gas in the 'expansion chamber' part...and how this acts on the bullet as it passes through this area.

But that's what's fun about testing stuff in a scientific manner..the results tell the tale. :) Like comedian Tim Wilson says: "I could be wrong." :D

Keep us informed, Jim..okay? -Al

Shelley:
That is a beautiful piece of machine work! :cool: What are the thread dimensions on your unit and it's weight? -Al

Good ideas guys.

Butch-Shelly---nice idea--I like the looks of that tuner. I also love the 32 tpi--that is what I use for brakes.

Jerry--the recess is machined into the barrel and there are 2 barrels at this time-1 flush and 1 recessed. It will help me increase sample size for testing---shoot the flush one and collect data and then recess it. Shoot the recessed one and collect data and then machine the recess off. Recess was done with small Sharp boring bar with barrel indicated in.

The recess right now is .536 diameter. May not be big enough, but I have enough experience with brakes that I think it is a good start.

Someday I need to build a tunnel here so I do not have to wait for better spring weather--but in flagstone country that is "rolly" it gets very expensive.

Nick
I went with the cylindrical barrel so I could up the weight of what tuners I put on. I am thinking that I do not want to use a tuner like a powder measure--I want to use the tuner to get to the minimum muzzle oscillation for velocity change--so that the gun stays in tune over a broader window.

Jim

Last edited:
Back