Annealing made perfect aztec sort

I ultrasonic clean my cases in citric acid (lemon juice) solution.

20 times faster than a tumbler (about 5 minutes for a batch of 20 cases) and no need to pick the walnut shells from the primer holes.
Result, shiny clean cases and my tumbler is now redundant.

Rinse in clean water and put them on a tray into the oven set on dead low for 15 minutes :cool:

* doggie *

I have an ultrasonic cleaner and never use it. I’d rather throw it in the tumbler with walnut shells and leave for two hours. I spray a bit of windex on cases before tumbling. No drying and I don’t have to pick shells from primer pockets. I use it more than my stainless media tumbler too, but everyone has their ways

don't use walnut shells and you will not have to pick them out of flash holes.
use blasting media..fine ground corn cob

(20 times 5 is 200 min so 3 plus hours..i guess you get that from using the wrong media)
and 20 times (5 plus 15 for dry) is well over 12 hours your math is not so good.

how shinny are they after heating in the oven ?

fresh blasting media is about 1 hour, 2-300 at a time

and just how much dog hunting do you do with just 20 cases ?

20 times faster than a tumbler (about 5 minutes for a batch of 20 cases) and no need to pick the walnut shells from the primer holes.

Rinse in clean water and put them on a tray into the oven set on dead low for 15 minutes :cool:

* doggie *

I have an ultrasonic cleaner and never use it. I’d rather throw it in the tumbler with walnut shells and leave for two hours. I spray a bit of windex on cases before tumbling. No drying and I don’t have to pick shells from primer pockets. I use it more than my stainless media tumbler too, but everyone has their ways

Just a suggestion, use a polishing media without ammonia, Windex has ammonia. Ammonia causes intergranular corrosion in brass, leading to cracking.

Windex has an ammonia free version. Mine has purple label. Also, blow them out with air in the strainer. My walnut shells are frankford walnut shells off amazon and they are fine enough they don’t pack into primer pockets. Mine are all large rifle pockets though

don't use walnut shells and you will not have to pick them out of flash holes.
use blasting media..fine ground corn cob

(20 times 5 is 200 min so 3 plus hours..i guess you get that from using the wrong media)
and 20 times (5 plus 15 for dry) is well over 12 hours your math is not so good.

how shinny are they after heating in the oven ?

fresh blasting media is about 1 hour, 2-300 at a time

and just how much dog hunting do you do with just 20 cases ?

I use a vibratory turbo tumbler https://www.lymanproducts.com/turbo-1200-pro-tumbler- Walnut shells are the only tumbler media available locally here in the bush. It takes quite a few hours vibrating and walking around the floor to process 100 .223 cases.

I can ultrasonic clean the same amount in about 30 minutes, hot water rinse, load them on a tray and put them in a warm oven (about 100°C) for 15-30 minutes. The low temperature does not seem to affect the cases.

A wild dog only requires one shot, lucky to nail more than one in a night (a pack may have 4 or 5, but they run into the bush once the pack leader is down) so quite happy to go out with just twenty rounds - the extra's are handy to take out feral cats and a few rabbits to feed the farmer's Kelpie sheep dogs. We have a bounty of $120 on wild dogs in this part of the world btw http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-animals/fox-bounty

* doggie *

sorry guy.
see how much context means...
in the states a "dog" is most likely a prairie dog, and people take hundreds of rounds and multiple rifles when they go out.
some people PAY to do it vs a bounty.

I use a vibratory turbo tumbler https://www.lymanproducts.com/turbo-1200-pro-tumbler- Walnut shells are the only tumbler media available locally here in the bush. It takes quite a few hours vibrating and walking around the floor to process 100 .223 cases.

I can ultrasonic clean the same amount in about 30 minutes, hot water rinse, load them on a tray and put them in a warm oven (about 100°C) for 15-30 minutes. The low temperature does not seem to affect the cases.

A wild dog only requires one shot, lucky to nail more than one in a night (a pack may have 4 or 5, but they run into the bush once the pack leader is down) so quite happy to go out with just twenty rounds - the extra's are handy to take out feral cats and a few rabbits to feed the farmer's Kelpie sheep dogs. We have a bounty of $120 on wild dogs in this part of the world btw http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-animals/fox-bounty

* doggie *

Dog hunter

Some folks are so ready to criticize and be OBNOXIOUS they don't have time to read and see you are an Aussie and realize what dogs you are shooting. Pay no attention, and have a good one mate.....:cool:.

Later
Dave

Explain new annealing

OUT HERE IN GODS HEAVEN NOT MUCH GETS AROUND 40 YRS AGO WAS LAST I DID ANY EXPLAIN BILL BRAWAND:cool:

Some folks are so ready to criticize and be OBNOXIOUS they don't have time to read and see you are an Aussie and realize what dogs you are shooting. Pay no attention, and have a good one mate.....:cool:.

Later
Dave

Thanks Dave. No offence taken. 'retired' explained exactly how the use of even a simple word (dog) can have such a different meaning in various parts of the world.

Here are the types of dogs that I hunt here in the Australian bush - this brute was a sheep killer and the farmer that owned the property was very greatful that we nailed it. Our national association (SSAA) works with farmers to give a positive aspect to shooting sports https://farmerassist.com.au/

So lets get back to neck annealing as it's use is quite justified to prevent work hardened brass necks from splitting. I found it necessary to neck anneal my .223 cases after 4 reloads btw. Check out the manufacturer's annealing on the type of (ADI) brass that I use http://nzgunsandhunting.co.nz/index.php?route=news/article&ncat=85&news_id=71.

* doggie *

Attachments

• Australian Feral Dog  - A sheep killer weighed 40kg - .223 120m.jpg
    Australian Feral Dog - A sheep killer weighed 40kg - .223 120m.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 209
Bill - 40 years ago we heated the necks with a torch and tipped them over into the water. Not very scientific or a very good thing to do with your rifle cases. As you well know, such cases were not a good thing for Benchrest shooting. These days, you can buy an annealing machine that will do it right...every case. Expensive??....yes but if you've got a little cash layin' around that you can spend while still keeping the lights on it's a good buy.

Formula

* doggie *

what's your formula lemon juice / water?

Thanks,

Pete

I use just a pinch of "Lemi-Shine" (dishwasher additive) with stainless media, probably work about the same in an ultrasonic.

GsT

what's your formula lemon juice / water?

Thanks,

Pete

I use a teaspoon of dry citric acid crystals (from the cake baking section of the local supermarket) in about 1/2 pint of warm water.

If you already own an ultrasonic cleaner it's well worth a try. The results really nicely surprised me.

I justified the purchase by putting SWMBO's rings and jewellery in for a test run and it made her very happy - Used a squirt of dishwashing liquid for that test).

* doggie *

Thanx

I use a teaspoon of dry citric acid crystals (from the cake baking section of the local supermarket) in about 1/2 pint of warm water.

If you already own an ultrasonic cleaner it's well worth a try. The results really nicely surprised me.

I justified the purchase by putting SWMBO's rings and jewellery in for a test run and it made her very happy - Used a squirt of dishwashing liquid for that test).

* doggie *

Appreciate it.

Pete

Back