A Synopsis on the Score Discussions.

There is NO strategy for hitting X's

AJ,
My choice of words may be a bit dramatic to make a point, but still, no one has yet forwarded a coherent strategy for hitting X's early and missing them late. My point is that compared to winning by scoring higher or hitting more X's, winning by Creedmoor is largely a matter of luck.

Cheers,
Keith

early or late. Where the x falls only applies to match winners. The Creedmore system refers back to the best first match to break ties at the end of the competition. It does not get down to individual bulls till all matches are tied all the way thru.

I was going to keep my yap shut in this thread....but what the heck....I'll wade in with my 2 cents worth and a couple of comments.

- A multi yardage format goes a long way towards fixing the "I'm down a point and now I'm out of it" line of thinking. As an example, I dropped four :eek: points at 100 yds. in the Hunter portion of the recent IBS Score Nationals. But at 200, I finished 3rd. with a 246-2X behind Greg Sweezy's winning 246-6X and Craig Nagle's second place 246-3X. This drug me up to 7th in the Grand. With a multi yardage format, it's never over until the final shot...anything can happen. For clubs w/o 200 yd. capability, a multi gun (think LV/HV here, boys and girls) offers a mini version of the same.

- With some of the best VfS shooters on the planet at the recent IBS Score Nationals, the winning score at 100 yds. was Gary Long's 250-21X...followed by Mike Rippey and T.K. Nolan's 250-21X's for second and third place. To read what some write, 250-25's are common and 250-24's don't even raise an eyebrow. :rolleyes:

- At the same event, there was exactly one 500 shot in the VfS 100-200 Grand...Jim Wooten's nifty 500-22X. :eek:

Connecting those dot's ain't too difficult. :) Might be a pun, there......:D

Last edited:
Under the current IBS rules. If a man was to show up at a match shooting a .20 caliber and lets say this man was the best shooter there and had a hot barrel. What would his chance be of winning. :eek:Dave

Thats an easy question,
If the guy with the .20 was a good shooter and his rifle was really hot, his chances would be excellent. Its not the small cal. hole size that might hold him back it's the ability of the shooter to accurately read the conditions that might cause more bullet drift with the lighter bullet.

I don't have much to add

Except I do love the score game as it is, and if you've never tried to hit that little dot when the conditions change about every 12-15 sec, and then throw in some mirage changes that run with the flags, against the flags, and boil straight up, and all of this is happening every relay, and at different levels of intensity for each relay, whatever you believe, your just missing out on some fantastic competition and the chance to shoot with and get beat by some great individuals.

Maybe it just like all these different chamberings in the BR game, with the mindset that "If I do this it will be superior", it would seem that no matter how proven something is there are always those that have that Tweaking mindset, and is that bad? NO

It all boils down for me, if there is more places for me to shoot score (no matter what the format) I'm all for it, If I can steal the words from Francis Becigneul, "Just tell me the rules before we start".

Answer

His chances would be even less than shooting a 30 in a group match and being scored with a 20 cal reticle. Only 5 targets to measure in a group match, but in score you get the diameter advantage on each shot. I wonder how long before a even larger caliber will take over because of the flawed rules. Im not trying to ruffle any feathers its just the way I see it. Im done. Dave

Tboss

There is no strategy for hitting X's.

David,
That is my thought also. I don't know how to increase my chances of hitting an X on a particular bull or target, and if I did, I would employ that strategy universally and try to hit them all. In the absence of a way to apply skill to use Creedmoor to advantage, winning by Creedmoor is rather random chance.

There are some advantages of including randomness in the scoring system, for instance, over a number of matches, it spreads wins over a larger group of shooters. Using a more difficult target, on the other hand, would tend to lead to a smaller group of the best shooters winning more often. We could end up with a "Tony Boyer of score shooting." If so, would everyone else lose interest and quit? Would new shooters be too intimidated to continue? I don't have answers to these questions, but I still advocate a scoring system that more finely resolves how closely each bullet strikes relative to the center. Let the TBOSS show his/her superiority on the target, and be recognized!:p

Cheers,
Keith

This thread shouldn't be called "A Synopsis", but "Even more arguments supporting what I already believe, because I won't change my mind no matter what."

Of course I could be wrong. All you who've changed your minds, chime in.

Charles

Somebody may have asked this already, but how many are making suggestions for change that don't shoot VFS or Hunter class?
Butch

Butch & Dave Right on

The way the rules are now is the reason those people don,t shoot it.(In my case anymore) Dave

Somebody may have asked this already, but how many are making suggestions for change that don't shoot VFS or Hunter class? Butch
Actually, I don't think this is relevant. Nobody's suggesting NBRSA has to offer a copy of IBS VFS score shooting. Consider 1,000 yard Benchrest. The *equipment* rules are mainly the same for IBS and NBRSA, which is a good thing. The way a match is run & scored is completely different. This is not a bad thing.

What might be relevant is "how many who are commenting wouldn't shoot score in any format, no matter what"?

If you're asking for what ifs, you can/should consider other ways the game could be played.

What if, for example, Olympic-type scoring targets were available for the nationals? Would that be a bad thing?

What if, for example, someone adopted Wilbur's old proposal -- shoot at ever-smaller targets, each with a higher score, until you touched (outside scoring) the ring, at which point you DQ.

What if, for example, some one held a group match where the smallest group of the day actually *won* the match? Would that be a bad thing?

None of these would be the *same* thing as we now shoot, but I'd suggest they would all be fun.

Silly to think the rules of a game are like physical laws, and can't be changed.

Dave,
I really haven't followed too much of this thread, but what keeps you from wanting to shoot hunter targets. So far we only shoot 1 yardage of VFS once a month at a club match. I think the guys like it as is and maybe that is the reason that we are having our first registered VFS match in October. From what little I know about it, it appears the rules are fine as is.
Butch

I wonder how long before a even larger caliber will take over because of the flawed rules. . Dave

they are NOT FLAWED rules...they are THE RULES of the game. yes the rule favors larger dia, but larger dia is harder to shoot.......

remember the games we shoot are SUPPOSE to be about accuracy...not about a level playing field.......general guide lines to foster rifle accuracy.

mike in co

Silly to think the rules of a game are like physical laws, and can't be changed.

charles....you are very close...but it is the part between the ears that can't be changed( in some cases).

both groups claim they strive for extreme rifle accuracy, but when jackie proposes a game which would be about rifle/shooter accuracy, all we get is reasons not to do it. no one claimed it was not rifle accuracy, but in thier closed minds they threw things in the way....can't be measured quickly, its not the same as the other guy, you don't shoot in registered matches so you dont count. absolutly every objection, except that it wasn't about rifle accuracy.

so much for the baseline of the org being about rifle accuracy.

mike in co

Mike,

charles....you are very close...but it is the part between the ears that can't be changed( in some cases).

both groups claim they strive for extreme rifle accuracy, but when jackie proposes a game which would be about rifle/shooter accuracy, all we get is reasons not to do it. no one claimed it was not rifle accuracy, but in thier closed minds they threw things in the way....can't be measured quickly, its not the same as the other guy, you don't shoot in registered matches so you dont count. absolutly every objection, except that it wasn't about rifle accuracy.

so much for the baseline of the org being about rifle accuracy.

mike in co

Will you be at the Firewalker?

Mike,
This forum is about getting ideas out. Jackie did that. If you are a member of either association, contact the members in your region and your regional director and ask them to propose new rules. We have a regional director that listens to us. We bring ideas to him and they are presented to the members at 2 different meetings. If the members approve the director takes it to the National Meeting and puts it before the board. The other region members have been notified of these proposals. You need to tell your director that you agree with say Jackie's proposal and ask him to vote on it.
Seems pretty fair to me and rules are changed yearly.
Butch

Will you be at the Firewalker?

david,
no.....
my business has suffered quite a bit and i am forced to work most weekend(gun shows), and thus less match shooting.....( i did get to shoot a bench match on sat...score...only a 97-2x at 200....10 shot match)
i shoot mostly club at this point, does that mean i'm not allowed an opinion ?
i am building a 1000 yd gun, and hope to have my 6mm beggs up and running soon...but time i dont have at this time.

mike in co

His chances would be even less than shooting a 30 in a group match and being scored with a 20 cal reticle. Only 5 targets to measure in a group match, but in score you get the diameter advantage on each shot. I wonder how long before a even larger caliber will take over because of the flawed rules. Im not trying to ruffle any feathers its just the way I see it. Im done. Dave

Dave, your point is well taken - please do not take this as a personal affront - it's just an opportunity to defend tradition.

Where were those Championing smaller bullet diameter(s), one-size-fits-all reticles, etc., while the 6MM was king, but before the thirties proved their worth, and trumped the 6MMs?? The answer to THAT is, ZERO!;) Prior to Jim Goody (THREE Consecutive SOY awards, PLUS Y2K National VfS CHAMPION), shooting a, "full-blown Hunter Rifle chambering" (30 JAG) in VfS and dominating for three consecutive seasons, one was either an idiot, a fool, or, both for shooting anything other than a 6PPC . . . nobody cared a whit about smaller calibers - not even the old faitful .224.:eek::p Within, the rules, nothing changed. Without equal precision, the [so called] 30 caliber "advantage" CANNOT be exploited!;)

And if you'd attended the IA State Group event, you'd have seen that the 30s held their own . . . but, as usual, that was probably just a fluke! :eek::D

Throughout this discussion, is the insinuation that somehow, the scoring system is "flawed" or, lacking. However at Group tournaments/events, the winner is often determined by a statistacially insignificant and UNMEASURABLE "score" - by default, both the IBS and NBRSA rule books agree that groups cannot be measured anymore precisely than +/- 0.009": when a protest is envoked, the amount necessary to have the scorer's group measurement changed. :eek: Many tournaments are won/lost by lesser amounts! Somehow, this glitch goes conveniently ignored, or worse, assumed to be pristine! :eek::confused:

Further, I hear no similar peal, to revamp the scoring (Methods/tools) during group events, to a system which would produce a more statistically meaningful result. During group events, the REAL winner is often incorrectly determined/dumped because of one errant shot! Measuring the largest spread is a pittiful measurement of dispersion: Sd, based upon group-center, would be much more meaningful - where's all the noise for THAT?:eek::D The normal answer is, "we know that" . . . Please, come and play before demanding change.

Is one discipline better or, worse than the other? I think not - they present differing challenges, strategies, and methods of measuring the apptitude and skills of competitors using, essentially, the same equipment. Neither is perfect.
Both have a following. As sanctioned under IBS rules, VfS is a GREAT recruiting tool - the scoring is very easily understood and readily accepted by newcomers! Again, to date, it's the best I've seen.

Worth repeating: the ten-ring is quite ample - shame on anyone for missing it - regardless of how many Xes are compiled it's sudden death. We know THAT! ;) RG

Last edited:
And as usual, Randy is spot on

Worth repeating: the ten-ring is quite ample - shame on anyone for missing it - regardless of how many Xes are compiled it's sudden death. We know THAT! RG

Score shooting is NOT the same as group shooting. Never has been, never will be. Group is about putting 5 shots in the same hole somewhere in space, within a defined large box. Score shooting is about putting 5 individual shots in 5 very defined points in space, that are relatively damn small and very widely separated by distance. Both disciplines are at a level of expertise and equipment that require a high degree of skill, most of them are on par, only different in application. No score shooter need take umberance from group shooters.

David

I will be in Denver

david,
no.....
my business has suffered quite a bit and i am forced to work most weekend(gun shows), and thus less match shooting.....( i did get to shoot a bench match on sat...score...only a 97-2x at 200....10 shot match)
i shoot mostly club at this point, does that mean i'm not allowed an opinion ?
i am building a 1000 yd gun, and hope to have my 6mm beggs up and running soon...but time i dont have at this time.

mike in co

From Tuesday mid-day thru Sat. We need to get together for a beer in the evening Mike...Name the place

David

Back