40 S&W chamber pressure

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
I know I know it is a pistol but I know that some of you guys can give me a rough idea.

40S&W
7.6gr of HS-7
180gr Campo plated RN bullet (similar to Berrys)
Approx 910 fps
Ball park pressure???

Calvin

Hs-7 is a typo ??

1.18 IS 45 THOU OVER MAX WHICH IS 1.135

you shooting in a 45 acp platform ??

how long of a bbl ??

Last edited by a moderator:
if slower and a longer oal. i would guess under 20,000psi
hs 6 shows only 15k

No typo

I came across the jug at local store when powder was hard to find a few years ago.

Yes, I have seated the bullets as long as I can so they fit the mags and do not stick into the lands.

Shooters Arms 1911. Barrel is 6" long.

I know I know it is a pistol but I know that some of you guys can give me a rough idea.

40S&W
7.6gr of HS-7
180gr Campo plated RN bullet (similar to Berrys)
Approx 910 fps
Ball park pressure???

Calvin

A little tip.

Back when the 40 S&W was conceived, many of the major shooting Magazines wrote articles on load development. They were experiencing pressure problems with the 180 grn bullet, ( encroaching too much into the powder capacity), and on a whim, tried Blue Dot. It worked like a charm, getting velocities in the 1050 FPS range with very sane pressures and excellent accuracy.

That is what I load in my 40. Enough Blue Dot to push a 180 into the 1050 FPS range.

A jug of

Blue Dot would be great. Just try and find pistol/shotgun powder up here. You take and use what you can get.

Thanks for the input guys.

Dusty

This link will give some info.

Basically in a nutshell.

You need to have your Possession and Aquisition License as well as your restricted license.

You need to be a member of a gun club.

You are issued a permit to transport between home and the range. We cannot discharge handguns anywhere other than a approved range. So no going to your back 40 and plinking. Against the law. To go to matches or other ranges an invite from the club to cover your ass within your Province. If going out of province the Firearms office issues a temp ATT (authorization to transport)

Handguns must be double locked at all times unless at the range.

Up hear, just for recreation. We are not like the US in the right to use for your protection. In Canada, you are the victim of crime without the right to defend yourself, your family, or your property.

The link is the Feds breakdown in a nutshell.

Oh and the barrel must be longer than 4". Anything shorter than that is considered a prohibited firearm. That is another license which no one can get unless you are grand fathered.

It sounds worse than it is. If you allready own a handgun and purchase another from your local shop, once the transfer of ownership goes thru you get to take it home. I have received mine in less than 10 minutes via email. From what I have heard it is almost easier to get a handgun here versus buying one in some states.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm

aww but OWNING one and being able to USE one is quite different.

This link will give some info.

Basically in a nutshell.

You need to have your Possession and Aquisition License as well as your restricted license.

You need to be a member of a gun club.

You are issued a permit to transport between home and the range. We cannot discharge handguns anywhere other than a approved range. So no going to your back 40 and plinking. Against the law. To go to matches or other ranges an invite from the club to cover your ass within your Province. If going out of province the Firearms office issues a temp ATT (authorization to transport)

Handguns must be double locked at all times unless at the range.

Up hear, just for recreation. We are not like the US in the right to use for your protection. In Canada, you are the victim of crime without the right to defend yourself, your family, or your property.

The link is the Feds breakdown in a nutshell.

Oh and the barrel must be longer than 4". Anything shorter than that is considered a prohibited firearm. That is another license which no one can get unless you are grand fathered.

It sounds worse than it is. If you allready own a handgun and purchase another from your local shop, once the transfer of ownership goes thru you get to take it home. I have received mine in less than 10 minutes via email. From what I have heard it is almost easier to get a handgun here versus buying one in some states.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm

I guess it all depends

On how you look at being able to use one.

For me, as long as I have known the laws have been the way they are. They are what they are.

I can use mine but yes not in the same capacity as you can in the US. It pisses me off at times but the laws were made before I was ever old enough. Maybe the day will come when we have to use them here. I will leave it at that. If not I may incriminate myself with what I believe and feel about the current state of our world.

Back to loads.

So is it hard to find Blue Dot States side?

I have a hard time finding common pistol powders and powder compatible with an AR

Btw the reason i asked about your laws was my guide in newfoundland when i asked him why he didnt have a large pistol to track bears into the alder patches he said he couldnt have a pistol and later when he visited me in arkansas i let him shoot a bunch of pistols til he just got sick of shooting said that was the first time hes ever fired one in his 55yrs. You can imagine his excitement

On how you look at being able to use one.

For me, as long as I have known the laws have been the way they are. They are what they are.

I can use mine but yes not in the same capacity as you can in the US. It pisses me off at times but the laws were made before I was ever old enough. Maybe the day will come when we have to use them here. I will leave it at that. If not I may incriminate myself with what I believe and feel about the current state of our world.

Back to loads.

So is it hard to find Blue Dot States side?

At this time Blue Dot is in short supply. Maybe the shot gunners are buying it all up.

I have a couple of 1 pounders that I have had for over 10 years.

There's more to this thread, but going back to the original question of pressure....I don't understand the purpose of the question. If a load, any load, functions properly in a handgun....the cases aren't sticky and the handgun shows no sign of lousy operation...it's a good load. What does it matter what the pressure is? What I'm asking here is aimed more at what I may not know than what I do (which ain't much).

WILBUR.
i will take a guess.
he has an uncommon powder and is using a non standard cartridge length with a heavy bullet.

40 sw is based on a 9mm frame, but some are built on 1911 / 45 acp frames....provides a new set of rules
that are not published.

i'd pass on blue dot as a poor powder for a dispenser..too bulky.

Back