30BR and N-130

sbindy

Steve B
I have been using H4198 and it has worked well, but I finally got some N-130 to try and was wondering where I should start with the load development. The load I am currently using is mild compared to what I have seen that others are using, 32.8grs at 2875 fps. As I increased the load, the groups opened up. As long as its accurate, Im not too concerned with the lower velocity.

I am trying N-130 because so far, the VV powders have given good accuracy and leave very little carbon fouling in the bore.

Thanks in advance:)

Bindy

I have never used 130 in my 30BR, but a while back a good friend tried it in his.

That 1 grn more is about right for the same velocity. But, we never could get it to shoot as well as the 4198. I really can't say why, it just wouldn't.......jackie

In Maine, most of us started shooting 30BRs using N130. Almost everyone had success at 34.7 but that was 5-6 years ago and I don't know how the newer N130 compares to what we were using back then. Because of the difficulty of getting N130 nearly everyone migrated to H4198. Randy J.

Looking at the powder burn rate charts VV N133 is very close to H4198, Has anyone tried it in their 30BR..?

Eddie in Texas

I have never found

Burn rate charts to be very accurate. They can PERHAPS give one a BALLPARK but you have to try powders to know; Just my experience so far. There are a number of examples I could give you where the charts are way off as far as performance in the rifle is concerned. I don't know, exactly what Burn rate means and how it relates to a confined explosion but from my experience the folks who burned the powder to fit in into the charts didn't have very good fires. :(

Last edited:
Pete..I understand where you are coming from, but if you are "wildcatting" a cartridge..I think one has to consider using the Burn Rate chart with some caution to begin with...For instance...I have read that H4198 was tried in the 6ppc but with less sucess than other powders..like H322..
Now my point is...I took a chance and used H322 in my 30BR and it is nothing short of "great" here in the "hot/dry" southern region of the US...I think H4198is a better choice in the 30BR in colder/wetter regions...
So back to my question has anyone tried N133..???

Burn Charts

I don't know where they get that info.

I have found that 133 is at least 2.5 grns slower than 4198 by weight.

What I mean by that is take a typical 6PPC, and load it to 3350 fps with N 133. Then, change over to 4198. If it took exactly 30.0 grns of 133, (just an example), it will only take 27.5 grns of 4198 to achieve the same velocity.

I am pretty sure of this, because I have done it............jackie

That's about the way

I have seen about the same as You guys have. H-332 doesn't work that well for us or we haven't been satsfied with its lack of speed. It's interesting to read the equipment list from match reports. If folks are being honest about what they write down, they are able to do things I have not been able to duplicate. I have never been able to get H-322 perform even good in any of my HBR cases. Other people seem to have success but I haven't. I can say the same about 133. It has not been high on my list but there are some who use it in HBR cases with success. Perhaps I'm too fussy or I don't know what I am doing! :confused:

Pete..I understand where you are coming from, but if you are "wildcatting" a cartridge..I think one has to consider using the Burn Rate chart with some caution to begin with...For instance...I have read that H4198 was tried in the 6ppc but with less sucess than other powders..like H322..
Now my point is...I took a chance and used H322 in my 30BR and it is nothing short of "great" here in the "hot/dry" southern region of the US...I think H4198is a better choice in the 30BR in colder/wetter regions...
So back to my question has anyone tried N133..???

Eddie, you CAN'T get enough 4198 or N130 in a 30BR case to create an over pressure situation. I've been well over 37 grains of 4198 and never a cratered primer even...N130 is even slower than 4198. N133 is quite a bit slower than N130. I'm not saying it won't shoot with 133, but why even bother? My guess is you would be hard pressed to get 2800 out of even the stiffest load.

This has, pretty much,

Eddie, you CAN'T get enough 4198 or N130 in a 30BR case to create an over pressure situation. I've been well over 37 grains of 4198 and never a cratered primer even...N130 is even slower than 4198. N133 is quite a bit slower than N130. I'm not saying it won't shoot with 133, but why even bother? My guess is you would be hard pressed to get 2800 out of even the stiffest load.

been my experience as well. Now,1680or 4227, SON ! That stuff will give ya a frozen bolt in a rush.

I had a bunch of 4197 Scott for years and couldn't make it shoot in anything I had UNTIL, by happenstance I tried it in my 30-284 Short. It was the Magic Dust for that. Unfortunately I have used it all. Perhaps 133 would work in it, I haven't tried. Mebby tomorra. ;)

Thanks for all of the replies and starting point for N-130. This barrels was new to me last year and I tried every powder I had on hand between H4198 up to Benchmark. The list included AA2230 and 2015, H322, and RL 7, and N-133. None of them produced the combination of accuracy and velocity that I had gotten from H4198.

The results with N-133 was low velocity, although the accuracy was better than most of the other powders, it didnt change with the charge weight. It would shoot at a certain level no matter how hard I tried to push it. This would be a good thing if it was shooting bugholes, but it wasnt quite that accurate.

I will give the N-130 a chance, and if it doesnt work out, I have some N-110 that just might spiff it up:D

What about N120. I know Jackie has used it in 30PPC cases because he talked about trying it. I've tried it a little in the 30BR and it seemed to shoot well. You can get a bit hot with it but you don't have to try to squeeze more in a case like you do with N130.

I realize this is a common statement but...EVERY, lot of powder that is different from the last, will shoot and chronograph with subtle differance from the last.

Sorry to sound like Mr. Obvious. I learned my lesson one time about using old trusted loads on new bottles of powder and had smoke come from my rifle in an odd location; out the back rather than the muzzle.
No injuries, just some gas pitting on the bolt.

Good Advice, Michael

Here is a giod example of how the same brand of powder, but a different year, can get you in trouble.

As many know, we use 4227 in our 30PPC's. When we first started, all we had was some old Hogdon, probably a couple of years old.

The upper end load, also the most accurate, was around 27.8 grns with a 112 grn bullet. We only had a little, so we got a couple of new cans of 4227 labled IMR-4227, and it turned out to be almost 2 grns slower.

Then, we discovered the "new" IMR 4227, labled as being manufactured in Australia. The previous IMR 4227 was labled "made in Canada",

Now, both of these are IMR 4227. But, if a unsuspecting shooter had the Canadian IMR 4227, and was shooting in the "upper node", and then bought some Australian made IMR 4227, and did not drop the load, he could be in trouble quick.

Keep in mind, the chamberrings that 4227 are used in are uually small capacity, so a few grns is a big percentage.

I suspect when Hogdon contracted the company in Australia to manufacture their 'IMR 4227', the originol Hogdon formula was used............jackie

From my experience, all of the loads that I've seen (lots) and from observing other people, 4198 or 130, somewhere between the base of the neck and 1/2 way up using a 4" or 6" drop tube. If you are below the base, prolly too light. As always, start light and work up.

Can't remember anyone getting high pressure in a custom action, bullets 118 or below, with this charge density.

Back