30 wssm ?

W

williev18

OK maby ive been sitting at the reloading bench too long tonight, but i ve been tinkering. I took an old 25wssm case and ran it into my 30wsm die to open up the neck to .30, and stuffed a euber 115 into it. The results looked like a fat 30br and now i'm wondering if this would be a decent hunter gun cartridge. the water capacity is a little over 53gr so it would more than meet the 44gr rule. I'm seriously considering having a reamer made, but first i figured id run the idea on here to see if its been tried b4, or if any one with alot more experience with this kind of thing had any input. :confused:

haven't heard of one on the wssm but i have one built on the regular wsm with zero freebore & a 20 twist barrel,they call it the 300 varminter,great for long range varmint hunting & groundhog shoots but i'm loading 72 grs of powder in it,your idea would probably shoot well but would be a little overkill in a hunter gun

One thing for hunting........

But for Hunter Benchrest.....................!!! RECOIL THUMP...! Try that in a 10.5lb gun...Even a 13.5 gun..! Sadomasochist... Hehehe... Heck, EVEN if it shot dots......
Boy, your fellow bench mates next to ya will NOT like your muzzle BLAST either..

cale

yeah recoil was one consideration i had, i'm figuring energy wise its gonna be on par with the 308 or maby a little more, but i know in the 25wssm form recoil is no worse than my 30br. so i i'm kinda figuring my imaginary 30wssm form with its short fat case, would be some where near the 30x47 or 300 savage in recoil but with a little more velocity. I'm obovously no balistics engineer but it sure made a neet looking cartridge. Thats why i put the idea out on here first b4 i bought a reamer and built a barrel. I do have some savage 308 take off barrels i could set back and rechamber just to see how the cartridge worked out b4 going to a full on BR barrel.

There are a few things.

First, the WSSM case line has about the same capacity as the 6mm Rmington, which of course is based on the old 7mm Mauser. That puts it somewhere between a 308 and a 30-06 as far as powder capacity is concerned. Since recoil is direct resuly of a certain weight bullet leaving at a certain velocity, the recoil in your 30WSSM will be more than a standard 308. Ever shot a standard 308 in a 10 lb HBR Rifle all week end? It gets a little testy.

Bolt Thrust is another item. At the same pressure, the WSSM exerts more seen bolt thrust than a cartridge based on the .473 diameter. This might be a non issue untill you start getting up in the 60,000 psi range.

The short fat thing that had everybody all excited a while back is probably not what causes a certain cartridge to exibit accuracy potential. I would suspect that your creation would have about the same accuarcy potential as a typical custom built 30-06. Good, but certainly not Benchrest, especially if the thing is going to beat you to death............jackie

To run pressures similar to a good shooting 30br, you'd need a large tenon action to get enough barrel steel around it. You would also need to turn the necks to something rational, or tension variances could get ugly.
Any real purpose for it would be heavily tied to a niche 30cal bullet I'm sure. But if your thinkin higher BC, you lose due to higher twist. If your thinkin higher velocity, you lose due to recoil.

If I remember the case capacity of the wssm, what you'll get is a fat version of the .308 Winchester. For it purpose, the .308 does pretty good all by itself.

hey thanks for the input every one, i think im gonna scrap the 30wssm idea for now, this is why i put ideas out there to save alot of futrure hassle. I guess if i do go some where with this it might be with a 6.5 or 7mm bullet for a longer range hunting rifle instead.

For hunting you would gain over a .308(~100fps), and better brass life. It would basically be the .308AI that Ackley didn't bother with, but Gibbs would have loved.
If you improved it further, and used a big enough action, tight clearances, ran higher pressures, custom dies, you might discover a bigger 30br. While too much energy to compete with a 30br or 6ppc up close, it might be something to sweep further groundhog shoots with.

Oh and another w/regard to actions; WSSMs and button ejectors often don't work. Either delete the ejector & pick em, or use a standing blade.

Mike i think you might be right about the longer range advantages of a cartridge like this. The more i think about it, this would be too much for short BR, and my origonal hunter class idea would be futile. This would be very simmilar to a 30-284 in performance, but it would be more likely to take full advantage of its powder capacity with vld bullets with out beeing to long for a short action magazine. We dont have any local ground hog matches around here but there is a 600 yard f-class range where this could be a fun cartridge. Exspecialy since the rifle weights are pushing 20lbs thus helping with the extra recoil. A 195gr berger vld out of a short action at some where around 2800fps- 2900 with a 30 inch tube could be interesting, or maby go a little lighter with a 155gr A-max at closer to 3000fps.

It does appear to be exactly what i made at my bench the other night, i suppose i will have to research this to see how the 300 ossm works.

I have a friend that did just this. He seems to like it, but from the groups i have seen, i wasnt impressed at all. Lee

A friend made one of these several years ago and could never get it to shoot competatively. I don't know anything about cartridge design etc but I have come to think the goal is to maxamize the efficiency of the powder-bullet one wants to use. How one gets there must be some sort of Black Magic because folks have been trying to do it for as long as there have been metalic cartridges I believe. One would think the Scientists could simply use their math and formulas to eliminate all the trial and error, eh?

Pete, I made one just as you describe a few years ago. I think it had potential, but not without problems. When its all said and
done, its nothing but a brand new 308. Issues with the thicker brass may be resolved, but I didn't feel it was user friendly.
Once completed, I shot a few 3 shot groups using 125 bergers , and typical 308 loads with 4895.

Back