30 br ore 30x47

30br ore 30x47

I think you will like the 30br way better. shoots dots, has a new world record for group shooting , easy to load, cases are available.
easyto set up . loads are already proven . Information is on 6mmbr .com Just a well balanced cartridge .

Gerry, I believe the new

I think you will like the 30br way better. shoots dots, has a new world record for group shooting , easy to load, cases are available.
easyto set up . loads are already proven . Information is on 6mmbr .com Just a well balanced cartridge .

Group record was shot w/ a 30PPC. if it was a 30BR, I apologize in advance. they are both VERY accurate. And, FYI, the recoil out of either one is not significantly different , at the same speed, same bullet. Really high school physics. Difference is rifle weight.

David

LV World Record Equipment

Group record was shot w/ a 30PPC. if it was a 30BR, I apologize in advance. they are both VERY accurate. And, FYI, the recoil out of either one is not significantly different , at the same speed, same bullet. Really high school physics. Difference is rifle weight.

David

FYI,

Several have asked so here is my equipment listing - no Pics as the targets have not been returned yet.

The hardware build actually started in 2008 with the goal of building two identical Benchrest rifles which could be used for both group and score. The idea was to shoot 6PPC and a 30 Cal without a base rifle change.

Hardware Description:
Action: Kelby Panda “Speedy Shorty” with Solid Bolt – PPC Bold Face. Kelby was asked to build several actions which were identical with the intent to eliminate any variance in head space between the two new rifles. This helped me use a single setup on sizing dies for both rifles and ammo is interchangeable. Both actions were sent to “SPEEDY” to be blue printed along with new Jewell Triggers which were matched to the actions.

Stock: Larson (including action bedding).

Barrels: Krieger was selected for the barrels and after discussions with Randy Robinett (BIB Bullets) a 17 twist was identified as the correct safe solution. Ralph Stewart has cut all my chambers using a custom designed reamer. Again the concern was consistent headspace and Ralph has been able to keep my barrels within .0002 variance.

Scope: Leopold 45X Competition

Rings: Kelby Single Screw Tall.

Flags: Graham Wind Flags (large).

Tuner: Ralph Stewart

Front Rest: Farley

Bags: Micro Fiber

Brass: Lapua (Base case is 6.5 Grendel)

Bullets: Randy Robinett (BIB) 30 Cal. 114gr. 10 Ogive (my secondary – primary is 112 gr.)

Powder: H4198 – Weight?? (You can’t that that much in a 30PPC!) Velocity – 2980 FPS

Reamer: 30 STEWART (I just call it a 30PPC as that is what everyone expects, but it is in fact a custom design and Ralph deserves about 99% of the credit).

Dies: Sizing – Hornady Custom Shot / Seating - Ralph Stewart Custom Attached Thumbnails

30br ore 30x47

Yes your correct on that I mis read that one.
sorry for the false info as to the 30 br as to the new record}, but the 30 Br will shoot very close to the 30 ppc
That 30 major is a winner too.
all three shoot dots with good loads.

Last edited:
Having shot both the 30X47 and the 30BR, i would choose the 30X47. Both are extremely accurate SPECIFICALLY at the longer distances. The Grendel based 30 is ok at 100 but lacks the balls for longer yardages. Tried it. I know.

Mike Stinnett would disagree with you, David. He is beating peoples brains out at both 100 and 200 with his 30 Stewart.

I see no real advantage or disadvantage at 100-300 yards between the 30 Major vs. 30BR. They both push the same bullets at the same velocities. That said, I have found n120 to be everything I could ask for in the 30 Major, but it seems to have become basically unobtainable. There are several other options, but many of them need a wee bit more room in the case to be ideal.

I suppose my fondest wish would be every competitor I would shoot against in VFS would shoot a 30x47 while I shoot my 30br.

Life would be much easier:D

Perhaps the OP is looking at the 30x47 for a format with a weight limit heavier than 13.5 lbs.

I'd thought about a full 308 in the UBR unlimited class on days that the wind is bad.

It's really about some basic things:

Perhaps the OP is looking at the 30x47 for a format with a weight limit heavier than 13.5 lbs.

I'd thought about a full 308 in the UBR unlimited class on days that the wind is bad.

Over the years, I have had a goodly number of 30 Cal HBR and VFS rifles. Most of them shot pretty well. I have competed with a 30 HC, a full 308, a 30-44, a 30-47 and a number of 30BR's. One of the best of them was a full 308 on BAT B in a Klub HBR stock with a Shilen barrel on it. It was a laser for the first two years I shot it. I had a Rattler and a another Stiller actioned rifles In 30-44 and both were Lasers. I also had a Rattler in 30 BR in a Lone Wolf Stock. I had two Hummer barrels for it at the same time. Sadly, I sold it to a friend for a silly reason.

Of the VFS rifles I have owned, the best one I sold last year. It was a Rimrock in a Robertson stock with a Kostyshn barrel on it. It too was a laser. While all of those rifles were great shoters, the common thread among them that made them lasers was their barrels, not the chambering, IMHO. Different powders, different bullets,different primers; the best ones seem to shoot whatever you put in them, while they are shooting well.

My advice; minimize the recoil , use the chamber that's easiest to find components for and buy several barrels. Have All the barrels chambered and see which one ('S) shoot best.( Barrels are lest expensive than components and you have a finite number of days to shoot) Bear in mind, 30 Cal bullets have been nearly unobtanium for awhile. Chamber for what is easiest to get. 30 Cal barrels in the smaller chambers seem to last quite awhile. Mebby the smaller fire?

Pete

Last edited:
There have been some 30 BR barrels that shot well with 5k plus on them I am told.

On that subject I have an 18T Kreiger that after over 6000 rounds as a 30BR we cut about 2" off rear and ran a 30x47reamer into. It shoots lights out and has won a lot of Ground Hog matches shooting it out to 400 yards.

Back