30 BR Barrel Setback

Joe

I have a 30 Br with unknown rounds through it. I am guessing maybe 3,000 rounds. I have been shooting H4198 ans Euber bullets through it since day 1.
It has been mine since new, chambered it myself.
The accuracy seems to be O.K., maybe very slightly less that it used to be, maybe not. Some days it shoots straight as a laser, some days I seem to be guessing a bit.
The part that bugs me just a bit is that when I clean it, the barrel is now showing signs of copper on the patches.

Maybe the throat is getting rough?

I am thinking of setting the barrel back and re-cutting the chamber. Maybe this is just the winter duoldrums getting the best of me too?

What are your signs and indicators that make you go ahead and set a 30BR back?

I surely don't want to go ahead and screw my accuracy up. Who knows, just might make it better?

Someone talk me out of this...............

Thanks
Joe Cowan

Joe

I have never set a 30 back, I haven't been shooting them long enough to wear one out.

I did convert one from 30PPC to 30BR, and it shoots great, that is similiar to a set back.

I set my 6PPC barrels back on a regular basis, I have never had one that did not shoot as good as before. But then, that is a different animal.

With 3000+ rounds, I would chop the body part of the chamber off, (which will get rid of the threads), and treat it like a new blank. I bet it will shoot great........jackie

30s

Joe, first I'm certain every barrel is different. However, I've shot 30s only in both group and score over the past 1.5 years. I have several barrels with over 3000 rounds and one with over 2X that number. On a good practice session these barrels will still agg. in the .1s - better than I can shoot. So the answer is I have not reached a point on any of my barrels that would justify a sit back. You are correct that once you get a "lot" of rounds down the barrel you will see a little more copper in cleaning than on a fresh barrel but I do not believe there is an impact on accuracy. I only clean between matches not groups as I think the barrel becomes more stable once is has a dozen rounds down a fresh clean barrel. The other small sign of change is only a little movement in seating depth (apx. .005) on my oldest barrel. I shoot only 4198 and BIB bullets.
MKS

Question:

Do you have a borescope or access to one? I have had several 30 barrels set back and all of them have worked well after.After owning a borescope I came to realize my cleaning methods were not nearly good enough.

I guess in your case where you can do the work yourself you won't be out much if it is short lived after setting it back but if one has to pay someone else to do the work the cost may very well negate any benefit.

I envy folks like you because If I had the facilities I would be setting mine back on a fairly regular basis as well as re-crowning.

I have a 30 Br with unknown rounds through it. I am guessing maybe 3,000 rounds. I have been shooting H4198 ans Euber bullets through it since day 1.
It has been mine since new, chambered it myself.
The accuracy seems to be O.K., maybe very slightly less that it used to be, maybe not. Some days it shoots straight as a laser, some days I seem to be guessing a bit.
The part that bugs me just a bit is that when I clean it, the barrel is now showing signs of copper on the patches.

Maybe the throat is getting rough?

I am thinking of setting the barrel back and re-cutting the chamber. Maybe this is just the winter duoldrums getting the best of me too?

What are your signs and indicators that make you go ahead and set a 30BR back?

I surely don't want to go ahead and screw my accuracy up. Who knows, just might make it better?

Someone talk me out of this...............

Thanks
Joe Cowan

Who cares about a slight increase in copper fouling...........let your target scores or group aggregates determine your decision. If scores/aggregates are the same or better than when new, then dont change a thing, if scores/aggregates are outside your competitive limits then setback or re-barrel new................Don

Long Barrel

Joe, if i remember yr barrel is on the longer side 26" or better, so why not do it, knock a inch or 2 off and re chamber it, you have the equipment and time.

Back