.222 Cases Getting Thick

C

ColColt

I have some Lapua Match cases in .222 that were fire formed and then only neck sized. After a few firings I found I can't get a bullet from a fired case back in the case neck. Isn't that a little out of the norm for this caliber? I'd hate to have to ream the inside of the necks ever few firings. In a loaded case the neck measures .250". Most of the loads are with a 52-53 gr bullet and IMR or H4895 just a grains or so from max.

Cases cannot thicken from neck size-only dies like Wilson or Redding...... you've got something else going on.

Necks cannot, DO not, "thicken."

Al

BTW, the thing you've got wrong could be dangerous..... please take the time to understand what's going on instead of just forging ahead damn the torpedoes and ending up groping about on the floor looking for your retinas.....

We can and will help you find the problem but you must give more information

al

What sort of information do you need? I have a Remington 700 BDL and use RCBS dies both FL and neck size.

First let's look at two dimensions;

#1, how long is a once-fired case VS how long are the cases which are refusing a bullet?
#2, What is the neck diameter of a fired case (to compare to your loaded round at .250)

al

Fired cases are 1.689-1.690". They all refuse the bullet. I don't have any fired cases to measure neck diameter. They've all been sized and reloaded.

Are you measuring the fired cases after sizing or before?
I have found especially with RCBS dies that cases lengthen about .006 to .010 when sized.

Last edited by a moderator:
I measure the OAL of the cases after firing and resizing to determine if they need trimming and they usually do. Some just a few thousandths and others maybe .005-.008".

222cases getting thick

Measure the outside of the cases after firing, and after loaded , you may have some thick brass, or possibly a minimum chamber.
you should have at least .002 thous expansion. some of the new brass is also quite soft.

kansasvet.....if your cases are lengthening that much YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!! :) And you're headed for casehead separation.

Period.

Yes this will cause the base of your necks to thicken too because you're pushing .006 to .010 of SHOULDER BRASS up into the neck where it doesn't belong. Look at a cutaway view, a sectioned case, to see that shoulder brass is thicker by design. Now, when you "push the shoulder back" you're actually driving the entire case up thru the die making the case longer each time you fire it. The mechanism is this, you jam the case forward ("push the shoulder back") and when you fire the case it's pushed forward in the chamber and STAYS THERE. This is the key. Cases DO NOT slide around in the chamber unless you grease them (stupid) or there is a design flaw in the case configuration (WSSM). So you end up with that .006-.010 of airspace BEHIND THE CARTRIDGE, between the boltface and the base of the case. With mild loads this gap basically remains through the firing cycle, in many cases the only thing that happens is that the primer "pops up"........ or it stretches partway leaving you with a cocked casehead and a popped up primer. These fired cases will rock around like Weebles if you stand them on their bases on the table. With stout-to-hot loads the brass case stretches back until it stops against the boltface, AGAIN it's left crookedy but in most cases the primer is hammered back into the hole, reseated, flattened back out. Do this a few times and the head of the case blows off. It can't help it, it's been destroyed by over-sizing.

All this because you're sizing too much. OVER-sizing is the single biggest safety problem amongst casual reloaders IMO.

Somehow, somewhere this complete MYTH got started that it was better to bring the sizing die into contact with the shellholder.

This is a mistake!

So here's the Facts Of Life regarding factory chambers and dies.....and the fit thereof. First of all let me preface this by saying that factory chamber-to-die fit is much better today than it's ever been because industry tolerance standards have tightened up tremendously. But their are still necessary manufacturing tolerances.

#1-Rifle Chambers; rifle chambers vary in length, in diameter, in eccentricity and in taper. Generally speaking modern rifle chambers stay within .002 of LENGTH across the boards. I'll say "plus/minus a thou" which is about half what it was up to 20-30yrs ago. Generally speaking I'll opine that modern factory chambers are within .004 or so in width, breadth and taper and lined up with the bore to within ten thou......not bad for 15 bucks....

#2-Reloading Dies; reloading dies are held to slightly better tolerances but still TOLERANCES..... the necessary evil of tolerance means that you get a BIG rifle chamber and a SMALL die and it's impossible to get an effective resizing effect. YOUR RELOADS WILL BE CROOKED AND OVER-WORKED!!! And if you bury the steenking die to the steenking shellholder you'll be maximizing crookedyness....And you can't do anything about it except back the die off to minimize the damage. Conversely, given a SMALL tolerance chamber and a die on the LARGE end of the tolerance stack and you'll be hard-pressed to get any sizing effect at all. And when THIS happens rednecks jump up and down and vilify the manufacturers. They badmouth the gun and the die, they send them back to their respective mfgrs and they spout gibberish all over the innertube. So the mfgrs retaliate by making things TIGHTER, making reloading dies SMALLER and chambers BIGGER.

It's a vicious circle.

So.... when you're stuck with factory setups just prepare for the worst, count yourself lucky if you have such a match-up that you can safely reload your cases 5 times before the shiny, granular ring of "incipient casehead separation" rears it's ugly head.

I could go ON and ON and ON...... all of this is why custom chambers and custom dies exist. To promote linearity and fit in the interest of better case life and better accuracy.

But take it as fact, brass does not "Flow" or move around during firing, brass DOES NOT somehow magically migrate into the neck area UNLESS YOU PUT IT THERE by the resizing process.

Too Tight necks, necks that will not accept a bullet after firing are indicative of some sort of PROBLEM.

Let's find the PROBLEM not go off on a "fix" junket. Fixing necks by just willy nilly reaming them to relieve pressure is kinda like siping your bald tires to get some traction back.....

colcolt

Fired cases are 1.689-1.690". They all refuse the bullet. I don't have any fired cases to measure neck diameter. They've all been sized and reloaded.

We need some numbers for comparison. You asked you question on the one shooting board in the world where you CAN get an answer, but you need to give the information. You NEED to do some comparisons and find the tolerance bind. You're dealing with a 65,000psi metal-cased grenade 8" from your eyeball.....

Or keep the bone in your teeth and forge ahead :) just remember, "you better be tough!" You decide to just fire those things instead of pulling some to check, it's on your head. Or your face, to be more precise.

and WEAR THOSE FRIGGIN' SAFETY GLASSES GUYS!!!!!!!

God Only Give Ya Two Eyes

al-SAFETYGEEK-inwa

BTW, to all of you who are trimming cases....... ALL OF YOU who read that part of the reloading manual and bought the tools......Ask Yourself "WHERE DOES THAT BRASS COME FROM??"

It does not "flow forward"

Brass don't ooze like mud........

If you're trimming your cases YOU ARE OVER-SIZING

The newer manuals mostly all illustrate this problem in the "Safety" chapter, and explain the use of the liddle pick or bent paper clip, with pictures....but how many of you can recognize the ring of "incipient casehead separation?"

al

I haven't used RCBS dies for years, in the past before I learned more I was indeed doing it wrong. I actually
believed chambers and dies were made perfect and set the dies per manufacturers instruction.
I now use mostly Redding equipment and proper headspace measuring tools to set the shoulder back .001
when I full length size.
The more I learn the more I find out I really don't know that much.
I haven't had a case head separation in almost 40 years, after having my first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say this carefully, hopefully make nobody upset.

RCBS dies are no better nor worse fit than Redding... or Hornady or Forster or Lee for that matter. Unless you specifically build one or the other, the chamber or the die, good fit is just luck of the draw. "Ya pays yer money, and ya' takes yer chances."

IMO saying one brand of die is "better" than another is uninformed.

al

I haven't used RCBS dies for years, in the past before I learned more I was indeed doing it wrong. I actually
believed chambers and dies were made perfect and set the dies per manufacturers instruction.
I now use mostly Redding equipment and proper headspace measuring tools to set the shoulder back .001
when I full length size.
The more I learn the more I find out I really don't know that much.
I haven't had a case head separation in almost 40 years, after having my first one.

since you DID learn, long ago and you haven't had a problem for 40yrs, please pass this information along when helping others on this board :)

IMO just indicting RCBS from 40yrs ago is slamming RCBS, not helping the guy with the problem. RCBS aint the problem!

opinionby
al

and BTW to alla' you'se reading this..... learning to "set the shoulder back .001" as kansasvet says in his post is HARD! Well, maybe not too hard, but you gotta' pay attention and get the right tools :)
al

I should have mentioned I use the Redding bushing dies.
I realize I may not have the best equipment, ie. custom, but most of the
loading I do is for factory chambers and I don't know if custom dies could
be justified for them.

kansasvet brings up an interesting point...... I call this "the factory conundrum."

Barrels wear out.

Some barrels just don't shoot asnyway!

So making custom dies for custom fit is a large choice and I agree with kansasvet that it's surely not useful nor cost-effective to have custom dies made for a factory setup....

I buy dies at garage sales. I buy dies off craigslist and I'll carry a gage with me into a sporting goods store and check dies on the shelf. I have 6 factory (and one custom-fitted) 300WSM dies for instance, three of them are the same brand!

But all the sizers are differently shaped with different dimensions

al

In the February 2012 issue of Precission Shooting, M.L. McPherson wrote an article dealing with brass and chambers and dies and what happens when they meet. A very good article and well worth reading. I have it saved and will forward it to any one that wants it. Just email me and ask. hdcarper@sbcglobal.net.

Don Carper

I was always under the apparent wrong impression that RCBS dies be it pistol or rifle was the creme de la creme in reloading dies...that's all I've ever had save one and it's a Lyman for the 45-70.

count yourself lucky if you have such a match-up that you can safely reload your cases 5 times before the shiny, granular ring of "incipient casehead separation" rears it's ugly head.

I'm all too aware of the case head separation. First time that happened was in 1970 on a 98 Mauser action 30-06. Thanks to that strong action, I hardly knew anything happened until I extracted just part of the case head with the remainder in the chamber. I took it to my smith, he got the stuck case out and then after some checks told me head space was a bit excessive and that I was lucky. Those cases hadn't been sized/fired more than 5-6 at best. I don't aim on that happening again.

I'm as guilty as most following the manufacturer's instructions about how to adjust their dies and do accordingly with the shell holder against the bottom of the die...and an extra 1/8th turn, per RCBS. Brass can still get week after X amount of firings regardless the head space so, what I've done after the incident with the 30-06 is just take a paper clip and bend the end so it goes down in the case and drag that bent part from the bottom up to see if I feel a place that may on the next reload cause a separation. Any that are suspect get tossed, after being crushed.

So, for this .222, if one brand of die is no better/worse than another what's my strategy with the current problem? Back off half a turn on the dies I currently have or seek a custom die for sizing purposes be it FL or neck?

I'll be going to the range next week if it gets some respectful degree above freezing and I'll be sure to measure the fired cases.

Do you have a tubing micrometer to measure neck thickness? A reasonably priced one for reloading is
marketed by Lyman, Chinese made.
I don't see how spring back from the fired diameter while under pressure could be the problem, spring back
usually gets less with each firing so that a bullet is easier to put in a fired case. Annealing would be a solution
for work hardened necks.
Are you getting a carbon buildup on the inside of the neck that could make it harder to put a bullet in a fired
case.
Are you somehow, I don't know how, getting a carbon buildup in the neck area of the chamber which would
prevent the neck expanding to your expectations?
I'm just throwing out ideas that may or may not have anything to do with your problem.

Back