22/250ai Verses 220 Swift

Didn"t mean to start a war...

When I put up this thread I was just asking an innocent question. Four pages on every one is getting upset ,so settle down boys. Hope the Swift is not going to disappear as I have just bought one, a Ruger MK2. Came with 300 once fired shells and 3die reloading set, so Long live the Swift I hope. Thanks every one for your comments,can hardly wait to try the thing out. Kindest reguards Murphy.:D

But evidently you did. I enjoy the bantering. The last time I looked there was no factory produced round that would perform with the Swift. There is a multitude of improved and wildcats that will probably outshoot it but no factory rounds. I shoot a 224 TTH(6mm Rem-223) that will produce quite a bit more velocity but it is not standard. Evidently a lot of folks think the 22-250 AI is a standard round. I may do another 250 but if I do it will have a .2" longer neck, uh-oh that would not be standard either, oh well I guess I will stick with the Swift..

Imr 4895

You want to use a fast powder like IMR 4895 and a 50 to 55 gr bullet seated well into the rifling and that should get you some well formed cases the first go. I used the cream of wheat method and I don't think it works well at all. Half the cases formed and the others did not. When I fireform loads I don't waste them on paper I use them on varmints, make them count. True it may take a while to get a supply of fireformed cases but your killing two birds with one stone. Forming cases and killing hogs

I use IMR 4895 with 55 grn. bullets in my 1 in 8" .22-250 A.I. for fireforming. The rounds are accurate and the shoulders are nice and sharp. You may as well whack critters and fireform at the same time.
Chino69

.22-250 A.i.

+1 on the 22-250 AI for all the reasons stated above. I built a fast twist (1:8) for the 75-80s low drag over the winter. Love it. Good brass. I have shot some 4 times with neck sizing only before I had to bump the shoulders back. The only advantage the swift has IMHO is the cost of the reloading dies. I got the Redding set with the S-type bushing neck die, body die, and Comp seater. About $160 if I remember right. I never looked back. In fact a slower twist 22-250AI is in my future as well. Maybe a traditional 1:14 for hyper speed stuff.

tiny

Tiny,
I did the same thing over the winter ( a 1:8 in .22-250 A.I.). I've just started to shoot 69 grn. Sierra Match Kings at 300 meters and the accuracy has floored me. I'm using IMR 4064 and found my load using the ladder method. I can't wait to try the heavier bullets.
Chino69

There is a guy named Hammer on a different forum that seems to own about half of them made...

Own a few 220 Swifts...

Think I have multiple samples of every factory made Swift.

And have umpteen new Swift barrels made annually for my swap barrel guns.

But don't think I have ever really worn out a Swift barrel.

Besides loading the Swift in conventional RCBS Rockchuckers, keep two Dillon progressive presses permanently setup to load the Swift.

You can never have too many Swift rifles or cartridges.

Those big bull prairie dogs could come after you at any time.

While I load for way too many cartridges and have experimented with way too many different loads...

For the Swift I like to just duplicate the original factory load as close as I can with currently available components.

One note on Swift components. A few years back got several thousand new Winchester cases which were off dimensionally and had to customize some Dillon shellplates in order to use them. This brass would not work with any Swift shellholder I could find ranging from RCBS, Pacific, Hornady, Lee, Redding, etc. Discovered this the day before leaving on a major prairie dog safari. Ended up using existing fired brass instead of the new brass I had planned on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get 3900fps from 35gr Varget 50gr V-max, Nosler brass, CCI 200, at 2.35in COL in 700 VLS 22-250.

This combo has taken coyote, deer and hog and makes 3/8in groups at 100 yards. This was the first load I made and tested, and my dad said good enough.

Guns & Ammo covered .22-250 not too long ago and got 3800+ fps with 55gr pills and various powders.

Not sure what a 220 Swift or 22-250AI can offer on top of this.

Not sure what a 220 Swift or 22-250AI can offer on top of this.

Doubt there is any gun that could improve on 3/8 inch average groups with 3900 fps velocity.

Definitely would never trade it for something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plain 22-250 with lapua brass, 12 twist heavy bbl. smk's Varget powder, all else is inferior.

If speed is that important, go to 223 wssm

Last edited:
I have a Swift, and a 22-250, and truthfully I doubt that I can see the difference in the field. As to the 22-250 AI, a friend had one that was built like a full house Benchrest rifle, that shot amazing groups over and over again. I would not have expected any rifle that was chambered in a caliber that has that much velocity to do so well.

I am in the process of building a hunting/varmit rifle for my wife in 22-250 AI. It is on a M98, with a 24" Douglas 1-8" barrel. the plan is for her to be able to shoot the 75-80gr bullets for deer, hogs and exotics, and still be able to shoot 50-55gr to blow up woodchucks and coyotes. I was trying to duplicate the .224TTH, without having to make custom brass. I have the barrel fitted and now need to do the stock. I figure she can start shooting it with factory 22-250 ammo and make the AI as she goes.

I have a long and strong affection for the mighty Swift. In my experience, the cases don't grow in any excessive way. It's accurate and it's very fast. IMHO, the barrel burning stuff is a myth — especially with the new stainless barrels (or the old stainless barrels).

Can any body tell Me how these compare balistics wise. Have no experience with either but should think that 22/250AI would be better because of its more modern shape ,:confused:but does it have the horsepower?

Even though this is an old post I thought I would throw my two cents in. I love the .22-250 A.I.. Don't get squeamish about the throat erosion or the barrel burning, it's the ticket for admission. Watching a huffy crow literally vaporize in a puff of black from a 50 grn. Nosler Ballistic Tip travelling at 4150 ft/s is one of those events that are memorable. The 80 grn. Hornady A-Maxes are extremely accurate and deadly on groundhogs out of a 1 in 8" twist. It has plenty of horsepower from 200 to 400 yards and beyond. Most of the groundhogs I shoot are in this range and post mortem wound examination shows there is still plenty of energy left at these ranges.

Boyd
I also have a friend that had an excellent shooting 22-250AI in a bench gun. It was truly amazing how this thing shot!! .250 most any day. aggs!!! Lee

I am surprised nobody has muddied the waters and thrown the swift AI improved into the ring???!!! :+)

I am surprised nobody has muddied the waters and thrown the swift AI improved into the ring???!!! :+)
Swift AI was once called the 220 Weatherby Rocket. Roy Weatherby discontinued it cause it didn't perform up to his standards. But maybe now with advent of new powders it should re-examined ?

Swift AI was once called the 220 Weatherby Rocket. Roy Weatherby discontinued it cause it didn't perform up to his standards. But maybe now with advent of new powders it should re-examined ?

Actually, P.O. did play with the Swift AI. The 220 Weatherby Rocket was produced, but still as was found, the bullets and the powder of the time didnt give enough of a performance boost to justify the extra 10% powder capacity. In fact I believe Ackley stated the Swift was perfect for taking care of wild Burros in the west. Loads for the rocket today are still in the 3700 to 3800 fps range for a 55 gr pill. Not a strikingly diffrent from the Swift of today.
As for the rocket today, dont really think it would give that much improvement. Using the right powder, I get 3700 fps with a 55 gr without even being at max load. In another post I stated that I pushed a 40gr Sierra to 4450 for 5 shots with 46.5 grs AA2700 (1 gr under Max), BR2 primer. I could push it farther, 47.5 grs 2700, and a Mag primer, but doubt I will as I have already burnt out one barrel going for speed instead of nuts on accuracy.
Hope this stirs up the muddy waters a little more.

DR

To DR4NRA, If you want a good fast load with reasonable pressures try a 40g Sierra and work up to 34g of H4198 and Rem 9 !/2. I get 4275 fps. out of my 26" barreled Ruger and often better than 1/2 moa accuracy. Seating depth of 68mm works best in my rifle and is probably as good a place as any to start, also the 35g Barnes works quite well with this formula but can give on again off again accuracy. Am not 100 % sure why this sort of behaviour occurs but it could be that the barrel is just not clean enough or they might be simply senesitive to a change in conditions. Cheers Murphy.

I once had a 22-250 AI I pushed some 4,000+ velocities out of it. But it didn't make it any easier to hit stuff. Still have to have your trajectory calculations in order. The hassle of fire forming brass. I can shoot a squirrel with my 20" bbl 223 at a 100 yds and he still blows up. But hey Its all good ! Its all about us enjoying our Hobie

I once had a 22-250 AI I pushed some 4,000+ velocities out of it. But it didn't make it any easier to hit stuff. Still have to have your trajectory calculations in order. The hassle of fire forming brass. I can shoot a squirrel with my 20" bbl 223 at a 100 yds and he still blows up. But hey Its all good ! Its all about us enjoying our Hobie

Well tell us about its performance ? Loads,barrel lenght ?

Back