We Remember

Hal Drake - (52) 2023
Margaret (Peggy O'Keefe) Stickley - (?) 2023
Glenn Olenick- (?) 2023
Ken Lewis- (?) 2023
Wayne Lewis- (?) 2023
Arnold Jewell-(?) 2023

Last edited:
Kay C. Young - owner of Black Creek Gun Club in Mechanicsville, VA where many centerfire and rimfire matches have been held. Kay C. was an accomplished BR shooter, gunsmith, and all around fine person. He was 88 years old.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I'm not sure whether his birth year was shown in your original post # 225; which is what prompted my reply. However, based on your response I found his obit and saw that he died in 2022 -- that has been corrected.
I did indeed initially add his birth year in post 225. I also edited it to add the explanation. My apology for not adding the explanation initially.

I lost contact over the years, and I haven't been active since 2009. There are so many names that I had some interactions with – names from which I gained insights, names I made purchases from, and even names from whom I received services. I'm appreciative of the foundation they all laid for me. Thank you for this bittersweet post. I genuinely value it.

Last edited by a moderator:
R.G. (Bob) Sherer 1911-2001 age 90. Rifle barrel maker from the 1950's though middle 1980's. I shot many NBRSA matches with Bob in the late 70's & early 80's at Beeson's Range, as well as some in Ohio.

With so many of our benchrest friends and acquaintances having "left the range," I thought it would be nice to have a somewhat comprehensive list of them.

Joe Maisto - 89
Al (alinwa) Matson - 61
Hal Drake - 52
Margaret (Peggy O'Keefe) Stickley - 58
Glenn Olenick - 61
Ken Lewis- 76
Wayne Lewis- 79
Kay C. Young - 88
Tom Dickson - 85

I see Tom Dickson on the list for 2023. In 2009 while at the Coors Range I bought a really nice HV rifle from a gentleman whose name I can't recall. Bat action in a nice, laminated stock in 6PPC. Shot very well. Eventually I put a 30BR barrel on it and have been using it in score competition. The serial number on the action was unusual, TD2, and I finally called BAT and inquired about it. They said it had been built by Tom Dickson, a Bat employee. Another time at the Coors range someone saw the rifle and said that Tom had made three actions, TD1, TD2 and TD3. He said that he had TD1, and nobody knew who had TD3. My memory is fuzzy so that could have been the other way around. Anyway, that's a nice way to leave a legacy.

Otto Klittich - November, 2022, 93 years old. Traveled far and wide to shoot benchrest for many years. Fun guy, always had a brew ready for you!

RIP Otto

Otto Klittich - November, 2022, 93 years old. Traveled far and wide to shoot benchrest for many years. Fun guy, always had a brew ready for you!

RIP Otto
Thanks for posting a tribute to your friend. I'm impressed when I hear/read about folks who stayed married "until death do us part." :)

Last edited:
Hunter, please post Carroll Green age 95 in 2023, Carroll was the winner of the 1st and 2nd hunter rifle national matches. Was for many years president of Hub City Rifle & Pistol Club in Lafayette Louisiana.

Keith Christianson 80

We recently lost another shooter, Richard (Dick) Spencer age 77. Dick shot group and score for many years. He was a good guy and shooter. Condolences to his friends and family

Back