Your Thoughts on 8208 XBR?

MBrenner

We've now had almost a full season using 8208 XBR. What are your thoughts? I have been using it exclusively this year. It works for me from 30.2 grs. up to 31.2 grs., quite a spread. It seems to need as much adjustment to keep in tune as N-133. It doesn't seem terribly sensitive to temperature but seems more humidity sensitive that I would have thought. It has about the same accuracy as N-133, burns a bit dirtier, and shows almost no pressure signs. What are your conclusions? (By the way, I have used lot 4798. It has the same load density and chronographs exactly like lot 4736, the one pound original test lot).

Mike

Sold Every kernel I had, for the very reasons you stated.

I am waiting on the "new and improved" XBR..........jackie

Last edited:
I have enjoyed what little time i have spent with 8208 Lot 4736 Or test lot. I have used it to win a couple small local comps in my 6ppc. It seems easier to tune 8208 than N133, at least for me. I just started playing with it in a used 22ppc .100 short barrel i bought from a good friend. 26.5gr and a 52gr cheek bullet shoot really really small dots, actually some of my very best groups i have ever shot. I would like to buy some more of the 4736 lot but it proving near impossible to find. I have about 3lb of it left, so i hope this new and improved batch shows up soon. This is my experience with it, i enjoy it !!! I like trying to get different powders to work in the 6ppc as it proves to be a fun challenge at times. We are currently playing with some ram shot x-terminator with quite good results! Lee

I will stay with the "real" 8208

or N-133. I have went through about 16 lbs of the XBR and have given up. For aggs, I can not get the XBR to shoot as good as 133 or in hot low humidity conditions 8208.
Richard

XBR
Doesn't show pressure signs for me either. But thats because it is to slow and I can't get enough in the case.

XBR? Like "The Boss" said, "I've seen enough don't wanna see anymore,"
I've tried lot 4773 in several rifles and see no reason to continue. It did shoot well midwinter in some minor preliminary testing. Temps above freezing and nothing holds agging ability. JMO

Lee
I've been using X-Term in the PPC for a couple years now and recently in the 6BR with light pills. If your not already switch to F205m's. In all my testing those primers always produce the best accuracy even in loads developed with others. X-Term does seem to fall apart when temps go below freezing. Perhaps hotter primers would help, never bothered trying. Beyond that I shoot the same load spring,summer and fall. Always outshoots me but that ain't sayin much.

or N-133. I have went through about 16 lbs of the XBR and have given up. For aggs, I can not get the XBR to shoot as good as 133 or in hot low humidity conditions 8208.
Richard

Ditto Richard............

Missed ya at Raton...

Take care,
cale

It's been working for me. Using 8208XBR Lot 4798, 6PPC at 31.5gr when the cold, and 31.3gr throughout this summer. Berger 68gr FB touching the lands, amazingly accurate. Krieger 1:14". Not cleaning the gun in a whole yardage (about 60 shots including sighters and warmup).
Last year with N133 I had good days, and bad days. Bad days = days in which the gun seemed to fall apart.
This year with XBR I've had only good days (knock on wood). It is a whole new game when you can concentrate on conditions knowing with certainty the gun will respond.

We tend to hear mostly negative reports about this powder. I am afraid the whole truth is not being said. Would like to hear from other people, that like me, feel the powder is working but never post about it.
Even if it is just one informal outing that went great, let's hear about it!

George

I used it at this years IBS Nationals and got a 12th place finish at 100 w a .2276 agg. On Sat at 200 yds, I had to change back to 133 and a differant bullet cause the load was bad at 200 yds. Glad there was a warm up match I know that.

I wonder how many folks who like this powder are weighing charges and how many who don't like it are just dropping powder by volume and vice/versa? The lot I have (4832)seems pretty inconsistent and I am sure that if I were not weighing each charge I would be firmly in the "it sucks" camp........................

Weighing 8208

I wonder how many folks who like this powder are weighing charges and how many who don't like it are just dropping powder by volume and vice/versa? The lot I have (4832)seems pretty inconsistent and I am sure that if I were not weighing each charge I would be firmly in the "it sucks" camp........................

As a matter of routine I weigh all extruded powder. - nhk

Well
I don't think weighing it is going to help when you can't get enough into the case.
A full case is a full case no matter how the powder got in there. The main issue is that the powder is just to slow for the 68 and 65 grain bullets we shoot in the PPC. Its even to slow for the 88 grain bullets I use in the 257TED case.

8208xbr shoots.

If it shoots in the same hole, who cares about the speed, with my new RAil Gun From Lester Bruno, I shot 30 groups and average .1650 agg. 54-1/4 clicks and Barts 65g, with a Rem 7-1/2 not the stand by 205m. ya don't get bonus point for speed. Shot 30 more groups with the 205m same conditions, .2098

DH

Right now, I'm shooting IMR 8208 in my PPC, 22 in. Shilen bbl, 55 clicks on the Bob Dodd measure (31.8 gr.), 68 gr. 7-11 bt and getting a measured (three different times on different chronographs) 3485 fps...It does seem to be a little slow for the PPC though!

Caution!!! this is not loading advice, your mileage may vary and could be dangerous in your firearm!!!

Last edited:
Back