Yikes! XR-100 Discontinued!

VarmintGuy

Yikes! Its seems the folks at Big Green have discontinued the XR-100 Rifle!
I just picked up my 2,008 Remington catalog and was hoping they would have expanded the offerings (17 Remington Fireball) in this Model, but NO, I could not find reference to the XR-100 anywhere in the catalog!
I just called Big Green and in moments I learned the sad fact that they had indeed discontinued this nifty Rifle.
Sheesh I thought.
I have two of these wonderfully accurate, well fitting and handsome Rifles and I could not be happier with them.
The "person" on the line at Remington with me would offer no reason why they have been discontinued.
I own the XR-100's in 204 Ruger and 223 Remington and the only other caliber I have seen them advertise or offered in was 22-250 Remington.
I have some "mad money" on hand so I better get busy and find one in 22-250 before they dry up.
Puzzling this decision by Remington as all the ones I have seen on store shelves ended up selling!
Many of my friends have these Rifles and shoot them with pleasing results - at least I have not heard any complaints from them.
Yikes!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hummmmm!?

Puzzling this decision by Remington as all the ones I have seen on store shelves ended up selling!
Many of my friends have these Rifles and shoot them with pleasing results - at least I have not heard any complaints from them.
Yikes! VarmintGuy

Weird!!! I agree that from what I've seen/hear, the XR-100 in all calibers has been a real success..............:confused:!?!
I've shot two 223/22-250 the .223 bedded nice and it shot! The 22-250 was box stock and a solid 3/4MOA shooter.....

Love the little XP-100 action.... Good greef Remington...? What gives!
Glad I got a couple XP-100 action rifles converted builtup in my safe (one a 10.5 speedy sleeved bench gun, the other a great walking varminter .221 fireball)
Not sure what Rem is gonna bring out to better the XR-100... I'm not a big thumbhole stock fan but the Rem XR-100 stock was nice for factory offering.

Hummmm... Me thinks this is not a good decision?
cale

XR-100 Discontinued?????

Its hard to understand Remington's desision to decontinue
the XR-100.
I have a .223 and it out performs ALL of my factory rigs.

Got it to agg in the mid 3's (100yds) when I used BR tuning
technics. For the money you can't beat it!

Anybody got any feed back on the XR-100/308? I believe
Gander Mountain had exclusive rights to this model.

How well did it perform???

333smitty: One of the recent posters here got my curiosity up by mentioning the 308 calibered XR-100 as I had never heard of it nor seen reference to one anywhere.
And along the lines of the XR-100 in 223 Remington performing well my all factory stock model in 223 has now averaged .378" per group (5 shots at 100 yards) since the day I pulled it out of the box!
This average includes groups made using ammunition for another 223 of mine and all my handload testing groups!
Admittedly of recent I have been shooting Bergers 52's in it, I never shoot it for group on windy days and it has a Leupold 8.5x25 variable scope attached - but still for an all factory Rifle that is excellent performance!
Another puzzling decision from the fine folks at Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Xr-100/223

Varmint Guy,
Your .378 group average coupled with my XR's mid .3xx agging capabilities
proves these rigs are capable of shooting excellent groups right out of
box.
I used Bart's 52gr f/b LT jamb, VV-133 past half way, :cool: Lapua brass,
Fed 205m primers, and mod nk tension. Leupold/Premier 20x-50x and a
Jewel BR trigger.
I will reiterate what you said. If you see XR-100 on a rack somewhere
buy it.

Vic

I believe the .308 Win version was a Gander Mountain exclusive. The first XR100 I saw was there and indeed, a .308 Win.

The fact that it was single shot probably did not help keep it in the lineup. Myself, I would rather have the single shot - in fact my 700 repeaters I use as single shots having never fed a round from the magazine. But most of the "shooters" I know would not even consider a single shot.

I actually considered the XR-100 in .223. Liked the thumbhole , did not care at all for the "cooling" vents or the choice of stock color. The two tone brown of the VLS laminated stock looks much better to me.

Sounds like they are great shooters! VarmintGuy , I hear you on those 52 Bergers , they have shot well for me in every .223 I have owned!

Xr 100 .308

I have one of the .308 XR's. Gander had one on close out plus 10% off. I paid $580 plus tax for it.

I'm not a fan of the thumbhole stock like I thought I would be, but when I get the rifle in a comfortable position, it's the best shooting gun I own (Savages and Wins). The XR shoots way better than I do.

I added a normal kick-eez recoil pad to legthen the LOP and it just may do the trick. I'm waiting for the weekend to see.

I have some bonus money coming (I hope) and was on the hunt for a .223. I wonder how high the prices will go now. :eek:

Talon

You got great deal on your XR-308. I paid around $750 for my 223.

The next time you take it out. Try 5 -5 shot groups to check the agging capabilities of this rifle.

I'd like to see if it performs as well as the other XR variants.

Talon1959: Wow! I would GLADLY pay that amount for a 22-250 in the XR-100 model!
Of all the things I keep track of in my loading log (serial numbers, date of purchase, who I bought from, scope serial number and on and on) I never write down the price I pay for my new Rifle acquisitions!
My memory keeps the price I paid for them only for about 2 -3 years in most cases and then it fades away.
But I am certain I paid a lot more than what you did for my two other XR-100's.
I am a large person 6' 3" with a long neck and plenty of body mass and I simply can not find a position where the XR-100's stock does not feel comfortable to me!
Anyway I wish your stock fit you better and was more to your liking.
I have had a couple of McMillan stocks added to reworked XP-100 actions (same dimensions as the XR-100) when I made them into Varmint Rifles. So I know the McMillan folks can match you up. The model of stock I chose from McMillan was called the "Marksman" - it is an exact copy (except its fiberglass) of the pre-64 Winchester Model 70's "Target" or "Marksman" stocks used on their "Target Rifles" and "Bull Guns". It also VERY closely resembles the old wooden stocks used on Remington 40X Rangemasters.
So if interested go find one of the above models of Rifle and try it out before ordering.
I hope the new pad makes it more suitable to you and your needs.

333smitty: Every time I "swear off" buying Berger bullets (due to my remote locale and difficulty in obtaining stocks of them) I get another wonderful performance from a Rifle when I shoot them - so I keep going back to using the Bergers time after time.
AND they are quite lethal on Varmints and not prone to ricochet like the wonderfully accurate but hard as nails Sierra 52 and 53 gr. bullets are!
I am planning a trip to Idaho Falls to check the gunshops there for an XR-100 in 22-250. As soon as the mountain passes clear up a bit I am headed south!
I-15 was closed recently for two days (at the Montana/Idaho border) due to ground blizzard conditions.
I really am perplexed as to why Remington discontinued this model - I saw lots of them sell here in Montana, Idaho and on the west coast?
Oh well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I believe Zanders is closing them out. Our local shop marks up 10% from cost. One lucky fellow walked out with a NIB .204 Ruger XR-100 merely $450 the poorer.

Is the .204 a shooter? I have heard 2-3 guys give up on the XR's in .204.

Here is a group I shot with my .204 Ruger over the weekend in 20*F weather. The "flyer" was simply the cold-bore shot.

Remington 700 VLS, bedded out past the chamber all the way to the tang, tuned trigger, Callahan Speed-Lock, Leupold 6-18x40mm AO.

n48003735_31908545_3468.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I Should have been More Clear

I am a .204 fan and have one in a Savage Model 11 that's a shooter for sure. I was just wondering about the XR-100. If one could be had for $450 like the poster above stated I MAY be interested.

The guys complaining about the XR's in 204 were saying something about the long chamber throat which is way beyond my understanding at this point in my rifle hobby.

My little Savage is a yote killing smoke pole. :)

I talked to a friend[Kim LeHew] who owns Accuracy Arms and he said that at this time his supplier has all calibers in stock. You can call Kim at 1-972-771-8977. He is a very god guy to deal with.
Butch

remington has gotten to the point where they will do anything to turn a quick buck, and selling hi quality rifles is not high on their priority list. they make more money selling the 710/770 pile of junk, not to mention importing the old interarms markX at an inflated price, and the crudely built russian shotguns. short term they will make money, long term they will turn away customers. could be the beginning of the end!

XR 100 Action

I was thinking of getting an XR100 in 223. What is the difference in the action from a Rem 700 SA BDL? I have an older Rem 700 BDL V in 223 that I just put on an HS Precision stock with aluminum bedding blocks and it shoots very well. I think the XR 100 action was first used on the XP pistol, but is that action that much different or better than the 700 action? Thanks...

Gone

I wonder if Remington,Marlin,NEF being owned by the same bean counting firm means that decisions are being made at the top which may not be especially beneficial to experienced consumers who already have gone through the introductory stages of their shooting careers?

Back