Wt of 1 in. J4 jackets

B

Bill Whitener

I am in the process of making some different Wts of 30 cal bullets and can't seem to get any one at J4 this week . J4 is running behind on producing 1 in. and I have the lead and want get some cores made while I wait. So if someone could tell me the wt. of 1 in. jackets I would very much appreciate it .

Jacket Weight

Bill, The last 30 cal 1.000 inch jackets I received weighed 40.95 grains. - Romnnie

The last LOT I received weighed 41.05 Gr. - a good, "LONG-HAUL" average is 41.3 Gr. . . but expect up to a FULL 1.5+ Gr. between the extremes: if you're after an exact weight - good luck! :eek:;) But, as you probably know, +/- a grain doesn't make any REAL difference - not if your core-seat punch selection covers the Lot-Lot variations. RG

Bill, In support of what RG just said, my last six lots had the weights of 41.55, 41.40, 40.60, 40.70, 41.50,and 40.95 grains. These have an average of 41.1.

Speaking of bullet weights

I have a hard time seeing much difference between the way 112's, 118's and 125's shoot. Other than a tad of recoil, they all seem to go, pretty much, into the same hole, from what I have observed.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I finally got someone today at Berger and they say it will be 3 wks before I can see any 30 jackets - .925 or 1.0. I will have plenty of time make cores. Jon Conally purchased the Saubeir dies and I am helping him get set up. We have shot some 116 & 117 bullets and we are really impressed with way they group . Several .150 - 5 shot groups . I guess it will depend on the barrel as to which works . The 2 Bartlien gain twist I have- really work good.;)

Saubier bullets

Thanks everyone for your answers. I finally got someone today at Berger and they say it will be 3 wks before I can see any 30 jackets - .925 or 1.0. I will have plenty of time make cores. Jon Conally purchased the Saubeir dies and I am helping him get set up. We have shot some 116 & 117 bullets and we are really impressed with way they group . Several .150 - 5 shot groups . I guess it will depend on the barrel as to which works . The 2 Bartlien gain twist I have- really work good.;)

Hi Bill,
Leo made me 116.7 grain bullets on a 1" jacket and they are fantastic.
David

Thanks Dave We have only been able to get .925 jackets and the bullets made with them are shooting great. I am supposed to get some 1.0 jackets in 3 weeks and we will try the 116.7 combo.:)

Bill, In support of what RG just said, my last six lots had the weights of 41.55, 41.40, 40.60, 40.70, 41.50,and 40.95 grains. These have an average of 41.1.

Those were the last 6 lots acerages withing the lot... What would you exxpect the extreme spread to be within any of the above lots... It's interesting to see lot to lot variation in weight, how about the variations within the lot.

Say you cut 25,000 cores for 25,000 jackets you have ordered to make 116's, but only 15,000 jackets come in and you are left with 10,000 cores for the next lot witch may vary in weight from the last lot you recieved... now do you have 116.4 bullets? or whatever? Is that why we see the difference in weights from what is advertized and what we get?

Paul

Those were the last 6 lots acerages withing the lot... What would you exxpect the extreme spread to be within any of the above lots... It's interesting to see lot to lot variation in weight, how about the variations within the lot.

Say you cut 25,000 cores for 25,000 jackets you have ordered to make 116's, but only 15,000 jackets come in and you are left with 10,000 cores for the next lot witch may vary in weight from the last lot you recieved... now do you have 116.4 bullets? or whatever? Is that why we see the difference in weights from what is advertized and what we get?

Paul

Paul, this is pretty much, "IT" . :eek:;) If one sits around waiting for the next jacket LOT, unrecoverable TIME is running under the bridge and the hapless custom bullet maker falls further behind: squirting cores for an "average" weight enlarges the bottle-neck somewhat. Occasionally, even with [what an accountant considers] a HUGE [jacket] inventory turns out to be, "not enough"! :D

Within a jacket LOT, the weight range is normally well within the, "*Maximum weight variation 0.2 Gr. within LOT"; you'd have to invest a LOT of time to find a full 0.2 Gr. range. When I receive jackets, I open every other case (four buckets per case), open two of the buckets, weigh and 'spin' (for wall run-out/uniformity) 40-50 jackets from each bucket . . . then, during the process of making bullets, occasionally do a random check on another 50 jackets - whitin an acceptable LOT, I have yet to find weight variation to be an issue.:) RG

Note: *taken from a SPIVECO jacket print (1.00" thirty caliber), sent to me, upon request, from SPIVECO, about 1995 . . . the SPECs may have changed slightly since then, but not appreciably. SPIVECO was the original manufacturer of J4 jackets and pruchaser of BERGER BULLETS, both of which were later acquired by CARAN. Though now 'consolidated', I believe that both BERGER BULLETS/J4 are subsidiaries of CARAN.

Last edited:
Back