Wondering about Cryo Treatment

Back in the day, there was an article about this in Shooters News. I called up the outfit that did it on barrels and barrelled actions and even to the customers that had it done. I have no personal experience with it at all, but the reports that I got indicated that there was some change in accuracy. This is a link to a page that discusses the subject in a general way.
http://www.productionmachining.com/articles/sub-harmonic-energy-for-stress-relief

I finally found the true stress relief for metal. I put a barel in my lathe. It needs to turn at 725RPM. I take a lead hammer and tap the barrel for about 31.5 minutes. It made a moa barrel into a 1/8 moa. I've been keeping this a secret, but decided to share with you.
You probably wanted to know why I had won so much the past 2 years.

I think this is what Savage does, uses lead shot to peen the barrels, they just do it until they get sub-moa quality and stop.

How did you know I was a patient?

Have you been driving by when we're out in the yard?

I'll stay in all the time now

The same and more detailed information: http://www.metalscience.com/techinfo_ASM.php

A Question:
If the parts are sprayed with liquid Nitrogen, does anyone know what would be the added value of vacuum (V-I Machine)?
I understand that Liquid Nitrogen turns into solid Nitrogen in vacuum.

"Shilen and Kreiger are now interested in cryo"...Do you know if there are any non-published updates/data?

ED SHILEN (From his website)
Should I "cryo" my barrel?
"If you have heard that the cryogenic treatment stress relieves steel, this is false. We have measured the residual stress in 4140 and 416 steel with a process called x-ray diffraction. After much R&D, we have not been able to measure any changes in molecular stress after cryo treatment. For this reason we do not endorse the cryogenic process, but we can safely say that it is not detrimental to the barrel either".

Anyone knows a top BR shooter using a cryo treated barrel?

Thank you,

azuaro

Last edited:
John Myer

Joe,

John is just minutes from Winchester, Va. So he is about 2.5 -3 hours from Chesterfield, with normal driving.

Lee,

John is just off of US Rt. 50, you can be there in an hour & a half from Arlington.

If anyone else has questions about John, just call. I recommend him highly, for doing expert gunsmithing and the cryo treatment. He has been known to to do a lot of contract work for Brownell's also.

Jim,

I am hoping to shoot a few matches this year after I clear up my mother's estate. I have missed the fun at the matches & getting to shoot also.

Danny

Well, -300F IS.................

TRUE Cryo, but even lower, -305F to -315F can be even better in some cases, I'm told. Additionally, the super-cold regions are defined as -244F and below.

Now, referring me to an article about Cold and Cryo treating that was written in 1991, and last revised in 2001, and in handbook #4 isn't doing anyone any good at all. I'm not too 'puter savvy, or I'd have sent the PDF, if I'd had the time; but I'd suggest you read that LATEST article, which was revised NOVEMBER, 2013 and published in Handbook #5 (NUMBER FIVE) this will provide the latest information available, and its only four pages, and is all PEER reviewed.

What I'll do in the future is to have the barrelmaker I choose, to send a raw slug of steel to have it cryo'd and then begin machining it into a finished barrel, and maybe this will stop the springing open of the bore as its profiled, who knows?

Kathy Bond is a nice person, and I'm sure Hobie is, too; however, they do not have, and she said there's no plans to, acquire a V-I machine (too expensive), and her customers tell her they get "...all the benefits...", but, therefore remains the INability to run a proper Cryo treatment from the standpoint of economics and the ability to maintain the time and temperature necessary to complete the task required. Using CTPs process, barrels are typically held at temp for 20 hrs.

IF you read the latest definition of "Cold and Cryogenic Treatment of Steel", it provides you with the latest comparison between COLD treatment, and CRYOgenic treatment of steels. this is the definition (it DEFINES the process) of cryogenic processing that ASM accepts and presents as the necessary way to perform the process so that all the requirements and benefits of Cryo processing will be realized, from the get-go, and with NO excuses.

As far as spraying LN into the area where your product is, well, this is THE reason most people say, ".....an' that (**&^&^%$%#@##$% don' work", or, "I cain't see any great diff'urnce A-tall..." The next reason is because a non V-I machine isn't economical, the cold will collect in the corners of angular machines and wick out there fastest This is WHY some have downed Cryo, because they haven't received what they'd paid for. (This info is on the first page of the new definition.) You must also realize, if you ask a "processor" what kind of machine he has, and/or how long the process runs, and how long is the part(s) held at temperature, and they say something like, "That's proprietary, that's an in-house patented, confidential knowledge an' you don' got th' clearance" well, RUN, don't walk, AWAY. Call Rick sometime and ask if he has the time to give you some background, or, better yet, go here:http://metal-wear.com/

As far as shotgun barrels are concerned, they should be joined w/something better than soft solder, but w/trap guns, one of the benefits realized would be the stabilization of materials so that the predominantly-fired barrel will not be straining (and flexing) against its partner, which isn't suffering from a similar but not as drastic a condition.

As far as a Cryoed barrel not lasting, well, besides barrelmakers having no incentive to make a longer-lived, or harder barrel of more heat-resistant steel, (like MG barrel steel), because they want to be able to "turn 'em out", and, have their tool bits last as long as possible. They can sell ALL they can produce now, and MORE, but they don't want to expand too much, because, in a drought, they may wind up "machine poor" (over capability vs. reduced demand).

Now, I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, but I've had numerous discussions here with posters who may be too lazy, or not interested enough, to read the information, even when links are provided, but they continue to post the same drivel as though they know of what they speak, or post, whatever.
Now, I'm not the great doo-dah when it comes to metallurgy, OR Cryo processing, but I DO have a natural curiosity and a thirst for knowledge and if there is something I can use that makes my life behind the trigger more rewarding, I'm going to try it, (don't you think gunsmiths in the 16th century, if they'd had the abilities we have today WOULDN'T have tried this, do you honestly believe they wouldn't have?); and I read an article or two in SHNews, too, and tried out the du jour Cryo processor that was all the rage back in the past-mid 90s. And, I didn't notice too much difference in my barrels (when they didn't go to someone else) But the big, BIG thing I DID notice, was that I couldn't get a good straight answer to my questions w/enough peripheral info to fully understand the answer given, and this is why I posted the content of paragraph 6. And that "Pioneer of Cryo" who had patented his process (after he got Rick to teach him the basics, considering the limitations of his machine)? Well, turns out his "process" called for spraying liquid nitrogen into the chamber THREE TIMES during his "Process". He was always threatening to sue people for "patent infringement", even while the patent had "expired", due to "....failure to tender maintenance fees to the patent office."
Now, I have shot numerous barrels that have been properly Cryo processed, and they do seem to run a tad cooler, and are easier to clean, and don't seem to foul as often or as seriously as other barrels in the past. And, some of my friends have found that a fore and aft comparison over a chrono revealed a slight increase in velocity, but also a marked decrease in standard deviation as well as sometimes needing a small boost in charge to return to former levels of accuracy. Now, the interesting idea is, what benefit will meloniting give us? LWRC maintains their melonited barrels have an accuracy life of 25,000 rds.

As is stated in the link to ASM International's site w/the article noted, TIME is of the essence in Cryo processing, and many investigators are now (finally) at the conclusion that, yes, now we KNOW it works, so now lets see how we can "tune" the process to produce the optimum results for various alloys; and what new materials will benefit from this process?

Last edited:
There are an abundance of people who pay to have blades cryo'd...... knives and razors.

And they believe. They really do.

My Grandfather died with magnets on his fuel lines and razor blades stored in liddle pyramids......and only a small percentage of you'se will know what I'm talking about :)

So quickly we forget!

al

I do remember Al. I also saw clothes pins clamped on fuel lines to prevent vapor lock. How many people even know about clothes pins?

I'm probably splitting hairs here, but why is cryo referred to as a stress relieving process? Isn't the goal to covert residual austenite (softer & more ductile) to martensite (which is hard, high residual stress crystalline).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

If there was actual on the target proof that had been done by a test procedure that anyone could see was properly controlled, that cryo treatment improved the accuracy of top quailty rifle barrels made from 416R steel, I do not think that this discussion would even be happening. If better equipment for this processing invalidates the previous results of the test that was done at Sierra, then another equally controlled test needs to be done to prove that the difference in equipment and procedure will give a different result. I would imagine that this could be arranged for, if someone wants to foot the bill. Until that happens, these discussions will continue. I have no doubt that cryo does a lot of useful things. The question is whether it does this. Making tools last longer, instruments sound better, and improving machinability do not prove improved barrel accuracy. I have not seen a through test more recent than the one that was done at Sierra. For now, I think that it is another case of trying to do everything that might possibly help, and since there are very few reports of problems, and the cost is low enough, it gets done on the chance that it might help. It may, but that has not been conclusively proven. Of course that can be said of a lot of things that people do in benchrest.

I don't think i would put a lot of stock in a test that Sierra has done on barrels when you get "match grade" bullets with over .060 variation in the bearing surface in one box…… jim

Ouch! That sort of answers the question of whether it is worthwhile to sort bullets by bearing length. I guess that it depends on who makes them. Are there any "factory" bullets that have good uniformity within the same box?

Wow Jim the fairy Sierra bullet makers aren't going to send you any bullets for your birthday. But I see in the results from last year your barrels sure work after the Cryo-treatment, Congratulations on some fine shooting. You shoot at Harry Jones range am I correct? If So I thinking of trying to make a shoot or two.

Joe Salt

Yep those are match kings or should i say junk kings. These are the worse bullets i have ever seen. I always find like two different lots in a box, or off the same machine but the balance is off the floor? I guess after Spencers and BIB's it's down hill……… jim

Joe, I think Matt is coming down a few times this year. Thanks, but a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while. …..jim

Back