Wind thingie......

From Charlie's post:"3. These words of advice from Glen Townley. Instead of trying to figure out what the bullet is SUPPOSED to be doing, worry about what the bullet IS doing. (shoot sighters and trust them)

That is so true.
Another thing I tell folks is that if you can't find a condition that your rilfe will "one hole" in you're not going to do very well in that wind. Some rifles will maintain their grouping capability throughout a broader range than others. Most will fall down on their grouping capability above 8 mph winds. Now I'm talking wind shooting, not shooting in the late afternoon when it's calm. Find out what your rifle is capability in different winds and different angles and you'll learn a lot. The only way to do it, unfortunately, is to do it.

Okay in regards to these KILLER rimfire rifles, is there or has anyone compiled stats as to what action has won the most or is it just a toss up????

Are there any KILLER rifles out there that are actively shot that are built on a Anschutz? or are they like ceterfire BR rifles built off of the major aftermarket ones?

So this is the easiest way for me to find this out. You all shoot rimfire BR, what would be the closest match or person to me that I would be able to go and see some of these killer rifles in action or even try one? Instead of me looking it up and asking where the shoots are I live in Brandon,Manitoba. I would love to maybe have the pleasure of trying one out.

Calvin

If you compile stats over the last five years or so, the Turbo is king. Going beyond that, I don't know. Fifteen years ago it was probably Anschhutz, 40X and maybe Suhl. There are killer rifles build on the Anschhutz action, but they are not dominant. Probably, at least right now, most new rifles are built on the Turbo and Hall, but new players are entering the market.

That is so true.
Another thing I tell folks is that if you can't find a condition that your rilfe will "one hole" in you're not going to do very well in that wind.

Kent when your saying "one hole", would you mind explaining what you mean. thanks joe

T4 is what is called a "one hole"
If you are interested where this target came from you can read it here:
http://www.rimfirebenchrest.com/articles/chase.html

Chase-GroupShoot2.jpg

Doug thanks for the post. T4 is a remarkable target.. if i read it correctly, shot by 2 guys with different rifles and to make that impossible -10 shots!!

I'm not trying to be flippant about a "one holer"... I'm trying to determine what makes an excellent rimfire "shooter".

One holer is a term that gets used rather loosely sometimes. I guess a true 1 holer would be somewhere very close to 5 shots @ .220. It seems 5 shots with only half touching would make a rather large 1 holer.... that's why i asked.

I like shooting groups where they are measured down to .001. I'm really liking my lathe where everything is measured down to .001 and sometimes .0005. I guess i'm a numbers guy when it gets down to this stuff. I also have a drag racing background where we measure time down to .01

For my mind to understand what Kent is saying it would be helpful to understand what he means by "one hole". I respect his opinions and thoughts a lot!~

and again Doug what a great target, i don't expect it to be broken in my lifetime.... joe

Joe,
Doug gave a good example, but I'd settle for a "one hole" group that would put all the shots on the X of and IR target or inside the 100 ring of an ARA target with the wind blowing. The .240 group he posted is a good example. Of course a true one hole group would be just that, one bullet hole and I have shot some of those testing ammo before, believe it or not, it happens more often than you'd think. I have one BR sporter that I shot 5 consecutive 5 shot groups and the smallest was .020 and the largest was .178. Great condition to shoot in though and it was with the old Federal UMI-B ammo. Bob Collins sold me that rifle and I still have her. Probably always will, since I've turned down some big offers for it.
The point I was trying to make is that if you can find a wind condition on one of those windy days that'll allow you to shoot those tight groups, that's the one you should lay for when you're shooting your target.
A common misconception for new shooters is that they think the best wind shooters look at the flags and determine where to aim and take the shot, and when the flags change direction, the aim some where else and take another shot and so on. About the only time a guy does that is if it's the last row on the target and he's running outta time:) Most shoot sighters to determine what wil give them the highest percentage of center hits and try to go with that. Rimfire BR is more of a patience game, than anything else, granted equipment being equal, and the equipment is more equal than most folks realize. On one of those hard windy days, you still might not shoot a great score, but it don't matter as long as you miss less shots than the rest of the competitors.

Back