Wind flags

N1YDP22

just made my first wind flag out of stuff i had laying around.cardboard,arrow,prop,delrin and some vinyl ribbon. how many more do i need?

Attachments

• Mechanic Falls-20130210-00229.jpg
    Mechanic Falls-20130210-00229.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Flags

Good looking flag! Most people use 4 to 5 flags and a cross wind indicator. Cheap music stands can be made to work very easily.

I'd change out the cardboard with some coraplast from election signs because sometimes its going to rain and you'll need something thats going to hold up

Take a look around on ebay in the photography section for inexpensive light stands. They have a wider leg spread than the usual music stand.

Also, I have seen home made adjustable poles, that have a spike on the end, that were built with common materials. If I remember correctly, the head of a spike was welded to the head of a bolt that extended through a hole in one end of a steel bar, that was stout enough to be used to step on to drive the spike into the ground. The bolt was large enough to make a close fit into the end of a piece of electrical conduit, and both were cross drilled for a roll pin. At the top of the tube, a bushing and thumbscrew were fitted to adjust the height of a rod that fit within the tube. I hope that this rough outline is of some use.

Music Stands

In general Music Stands work great 95 % of the time except in high winds.
In that 5% just weight them down. Or have some simple pins to drive down on the legs!
(Think bent coat hangers)

Light Stands can be a problem because of height & they can cost 2 or 3 times as much!

Start with a couple of the cheapest stand you can find then maybe spend more?
Make Sense!
Doug

I like making my own and am also cheap.
Best stands by far; photo tripods from the local good will stores. Normally go for about $3, they have very sturdy telescoping legs, adjustable on every plane, most even have bubble levels built in.
gn

Check your flag for accuracy. I made a batch of them and planted them in the yard with ribbon tails. The tails and flag showed two different directions of wind. The tails being more sensitive indicated the flag pivot had drag or resistance that would not let it come to true wind.
Make sure that is worked out before going to a lot of trouble looking for stands.
Oh yeah, I now have Graham flags.:D

In general Music Stands work great 95 % of the time except in high winds.
In that 5% just weight them down. Or have some simple pins to drive down on the legs!
(Think bent coat hangers)

Light Stands can be a problem because of height & they can cost 2 or 3 times as much!

Start with a couple of the cheapest stand you can find then maybe spend more?
Make Sense!
Doug

Walmart tent pegs work well to anchor the music stands; one per stand should do it.

Every range is different

and may be different from one bench to annother. That is why you need adjustable flag stands. I set mine in line with the target and below the bottom of the target. The height is limited to that height in some associations and if you go higher, it may well interfere with you or the next bench shooter.

how are you finding the flags now youve had thema a while?

Back