Wind Clock ever see one???

I've seen and used a popular, and more simplified version, but it may not have been as good as the one you cite. The one I tried seemed contrary when used for airgun benchrest.

The kind I used was pretty popular with centerfire BR shooters, but as I said, it didn't seem to work well for me with airgun BR, esp at fifty yards. Of course it predicted that winds from right will blow you left, and vice-versa, but the quartering head and tailwinds often seemed to give conflicting results in the effects of raising and lowering hits.

I shoot in wind all the time, ad it comes from all different directions. I tried to like the chart I had, but in the end, abandoned it. Like many shooters I see, I tend to just pick one or two flag conditions that I think will be around for awhile and learn where I'm hitting when I see em. Trying to learn a LOT of conditions for the day usually doesn't work ok for me. Most of us prefer a headwind, even a strong one, to a full 90degree crosswind, even a light one.

Thank's LD, Will stick to Ribbons and Fethers for now.....Franky

Franky, you can't beat a good set of traditional Windflags and a Wind Indicator or two to show you velocity. There have been many, many things tried but it's pretty hard to beat regular flags, IMHO. If you haven't allready, go to one of the Rimfire matches and see what is used. You will get a pretty clear picture of what works.

Most of us prefer a headwind, even a strong one, to a full 90degree crosswind, even a light one.
Really? I rarely shoot a headwind. Most of my shots are taken in either a 3 or 9 o'clock condition. Guess I've been doing it all wrong:rolleyes:
Todd

Paul, maybe it is a west coast thing, Al told me the same, but our range faces NW so we get a lot of headwind for our matches. I have no problem shooting in a headwind, when you shoot in it long enough you understand what to look for, 3 of my 2500's were shot in brutal headwinds switching from 11-12-1. In fact I would rather shoot any condition but the 3 and 9 at our range, it's to unpredictable and does not hold long enough. Didn't you gents get some headwind at the Worlds on the last targets? I know folks I spoke with were struggling in the 3 and 9 position.

Regards,
Joe

Many of my shots on my last LV target at the Worlds were in a slight (11:00) headwind, and they were mostly tens (I shot a 247). Winds varied in direction somewhat with bench position.

Here at my own range, sometimes the headwind or tailwind is the only really "good" condition .... by this, I mean one that lasts so long its still there from the time your eyes leave the flag til you break the shot. Often, winds switch a LOT, and OFTEN so its the most prevalent condition the gets the most attention.

Headwinds are historically the most difficult to shoot in because the projectile is in sorta limbo spinning on it's true axis and looking for a bit of pressure. It wants to go left and then it want's to go right and that's why when shooting in this condition they often unpredictably go either left or right. With a bit of side pressure say 1 or 11 o'clock now we got some consistant resistance and the projectile gets a bit happy. Now are there some guys that can figure this condition out? Yes, but they are not novices by any streach of the imagination. OFTEN SEASONED SHOOTERS. and my hat is off to those guys. Poor LD has this as a predominant condition on his range it seems so he has to deal with it all the time and he will probably figure it out.
If you ever watched smoke at a target as I have in a complete reverse you will get the surprise of your life. It does not just reverse......it firsts takes a nose dive right to the ground and then reverses. I have photos of it.............Try it you will see.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,LD, Frank,
In the last 6-7 years shooting benchrest at 14 ranges, I only remember shooting a head wind almost the whole card just one time.
At the Worlds the only problem I had was the last HV target when the storm front came through lasting 15-20 min of the last relay.

Paul

There is a remarkable difference between what works with CF rifles and RF rifles. With CF rifles, 12 or 6 is the good stuff as long as it holds and 1:00 is to die for. I haven't found that to be true with RF rifles.

I have shot CF Score for a dozen years or more and always avoided any conditions coming from the left and for sure, any 90* conditions. Since competing in RF of late, I have been forced to re-program. Where I most often fail is trying to remember too many conditions and not being patient enough to wait for what I know works to come back. I need a coach!

Strange,

When I reviewed the results from that last HV round, it DOES seem as though all the Calif. shooters did as well or better on that card than their first two.

I do sortof recall that part, when it started to rain a little, and there was a stiff headwind ... I was near the left side, where most felt was the worst wind conditions were ... but in that early part, with the strong 11:00, I shot about as fast as I could, finishing most of the card in under ten minutes, in order to take advantage of the headwind.

I have never competed in a CF match, but I do own a nice Stolle-Panda in 6mmPPC, and have noted that it drifts less in a given breeze at 100 yds than most airguns would at only 10yds. I have fired a few matches with the .22lr, and saw winds having a lesser, and different effect than airgun pellets, with the pellets being unexpectedly pushed up and down a lot where the rimfires seem to react more predictably in comparison.

Back