Wind and bullets

Just my opinion but, I think there are far too many variables to get what you want from any kind of program or chart. Most of us who shoot short range benchrest get the relavent information from wind flags and sighter shots. It is virtually impossible to shoot 100-200 yards consistently without wind flags as you will get different information from each flag. Two weeks ago @ Buck Creek KY, we shot some of the toughest wind I've ever shot in. Using 8 flags @ 200 yards we usually had no two flags doing the same thing, both in direction and intensity and every one was constantly changing. The scores showed it as well. The point is, you watch the flags for a pattern and take sighter shots that translate what the flags are telling you. There are wind charts available, but they will only give you a general idea of what to expect.

Rick

Wind and Bullets

Sail Boat owners love the wind. If bullets could talk,I bet they would tell a different story. Ever try riding a bicycle on a real windy day?

Glenn

does anyone have any links to info on reading wind?

You could do a search on this site about wind reading techniques. Tony Boyer's book has some good info as does Mike Ratigan's book. But probably the best way to learn is to get some wind flags and shoot over them in all kind's of weather. IMO- it's a mistake to wait for a calm day to practice. It strokes your ego, but it doesn't do much for your competitive skills. Do a search here for a wind chart, it's here. Print it out and take it with you. In the end, there is no substitute for burning powder. The more you practice, the better you'll be and the more you shoot in the wind, the better you'll understand it.

Rick

i have to pick a caliber,22/250,243,308 or 270 is what i have right now.i want to shoot from 100 to 300 yard benchrest for now.

i have to pick a caliber,22/250,243,308 or 270 is what i have right now.i want to shoot from 100 to 300 yard benchrest for now.

To be realistic, none of these would be competitive in any registered matches. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot and learn. My suggestion would be to work with the most accurate and if you have two that are similar in accuracy choose the one with the lightest recoil. I've had lots of new would be shooters that told me they could shoot their .308 all day and not be bothered. But when it came down to shooting 100 rounds in a days match, they got pretty tired of it.

Rick

Wind deflection

66 Grain bullet, B.C. of .28, Muzzle velocity of 3,400, 90 degree wind of 10 MPH = Offset of .943 inches at 100 yards.

Greyfox and CubCouper

Greyfox 'bout said it all:
"The point is, you watch the flags for a pattern and take sighter shots that translate what the flags are telling you. There are wind charts available, but they will only give you a general idea of what to expect."

You could read volumes and not get more usable info. The windchart is used when you have 10 seconds, two shots to go and the world turns upside down.

CubCouper supplied the windchart

For hunting purposes, here are some rules of thumb:

1. 10 mph wind at 90 degrees will cause 1" drift at 100 yards.
2. Wind deflection is a square law thing. 2 x the distance = 4 x the drift. 3 x = 9 x the drift.
3. The horizontal component of the wind is the sine of the included angle. Sin(0) = 0, Sin(30) = .5, Sin(45) = .7, Sin(60) =.87, Sin(90) = 1. But, you generally just think about "Zero Value", "Full Value" and "Half Value".
4. Tail wind = less drop, Head wind = more drop.

The problem with all this, and what gives me ethical cringes when I hear about extreme long range hunting, is what "Greyfox" says above. You are not dealing with "wind", you are dealing with "winds". That is, multiple winds. In different directions. In different intensities. Every terrain feature out there causes effects that vary from obvious to counter-intuitive.

My advice: Buy a used benchrest rifle and some wind flags and let that rifle teach you about the wind. It will. There aren't many factory rifles that are going to measure up.

Just one instance...

how much wind does it take to effect a bullet at 100 yards?

With my specs:

Bullet=136gr, 30cal
Vel=3050
yd=100

From the above specs, a 20 degree 10mph tail wind will deflect my shot one ring on the score target; one half inch.

virg

The 308 Can be very competative if barreled correctly and with a proper twist barrel.
Jim Stekl and others had set records with the 308. true it may not shoot a teen agg but if will compete most of the time.
Careful loading custom bullets and a proper build works really well. Ive seen rail guns in 308 shoot very very small groups both 10 shot and 5 shot.
You have to start some where so why not the 308?. there are plenty of really good bullets available in many weights, also custom ones.
You can always invest as you go along to see if Benchrest is your game.

I have a .308 that I can compete with any ppc in score shooting, and even group shooting.. if there is heavy wind I win, if not the ppc can win ;)

this is 5 shots at 100m, shot with a bipod.

100m.jpg

Yep....

I have a .308 that I can compete with any ppc in score shooting, and even group shooting.. if there is heavy wind I win, if not the ppc can win ;)

Yep, I remember reading the Hunter scores from the Upper West coast and some of those guys were shooting 250 15X plus scores consistently with full bore, tight neck 308's with 168 grain target bullets. If you can take the punishment, the 308 will compete with the best.

virg

Yep, I remember reading the Hunter scores from the Upper West coast and some of those guys were shooting 250 15X plus scores consistently with full bore, tight neck 308's with 168 grain target bullets. If you can take the punishment, the 308 will compete with the best.

virg

Where would a person look to find records of that sort of thing? I would be very interested in seeing that.

Rick

100m.jpg

Well, now I am confused.......you just stated in another post that there is very little BR competition in your homeland. Now you mention both disciplines and winning some type of event. How are these events run....# of matches/ event....type of targets, etc.
I saw some videos of shooting in Icyland:).....what do you call heavy wind?

Back