Wind and bullets

That data is hard to find now....

Where would a person look to find records of that sort of thing? I would be very interested in seeing that.

Rick

Many of the match results that contained this data were published in the "Precision Shooter" which was the IBS magazine. Unfortunately it went out of publication last year. Maybe future match results will be published by the NBRSA magazine, "Precision Rifleman" with some of the "Hunter Class" scores. During the mid 2000 Hunter Nationals, quite a few Washington State shooters were always in the upper third of the results shooting 308's. I don't know how many are still competing.

The Hunter class is dwindling at a rapid rate since the NBRSA approved the Varmint for Score class a few years ago. Now the 30BR reigns supreme in the score class. The Gulf Regional and Texas State will not even be held this year and the number of shooters attending the Hunter Nationals is about half of what it used to be.

Perhaps Al Nylus (not sure of the spelling here) will remember some of those West Coast names...I've forgotten.

Virg

Well, now I am confused.......you just stated in another post that there is very little BR competition in your homeland. Now you mention both disciplines and winning some type of event. How are these events run....# of matches/ event....type of targets, etc.
I saw some videos of shooting in Icyland:).....what do you call heavy wind?

very little yes, but we still have them... usually we have a mixed match with hunter class, HV and unlimited all shooting together because the 10-15 benchrest shooters in the country are spread all over, usually only 2-3 come to each match.

most matches are varmint for score with IBS targets, we also have group shooting and since most shooters are hunters we have hunter matches with random targets at random ranges..

we do have a few matches every year with IBS rules including the national benchrest competition, but the mixed matches get more shooters to the table so they are a better choice for small clubs.

heavy wind is everyting above 30mph, we compete up to 45mph then it starts getting hard to keep the tagets in it's place :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Check

Where would a person look to find records of that sort of thing? I would be very interested in seeing that.

Rick

The IBS website via link on benchrest.com home page. Look at results, score and you can look at match reports by year.

The IBS website via link on benchrest.com home page. Look at results, score and you can look at match reports by year.

That's the first place I looked. I can only find results back to 2004 and none from the northwest.

"Yep, I remember reading the Hunter scores from the Upper West coast and some of those guys were shooting 250 15X plus scores consistently with full bore, tight neck 308's with 168 grain target bullets. If you can take the punishment, the 308 will compete with the best.

virg "

It's fair to say that I am sceptical that there are 250 15X scores consistently with full bore tight neck 308's.

I am very willing to be shown wrong, but I would like to see such a thing in the records. I might add that I am doubtful that a .308 off a bipod will consistently beat 6PPCs in the score game. Sounds like keyboard shooting or a very small pool of shooters.

Rick

I might add that I am doubtful that a .308 off a bipod will consistently beat 6PPCs in the score game. Sounds like keyboard shooting or a very small pool of shooters.

Rick

in good condition the ppc will without a doubt win the .308, but when the wind picks up and goes above 15-20mph and shifting rapidly the ppc will lose, those 100 extra grains of bullet weight do make a difference.

in good condition the ppc will without a doubt win the .308, but when the wind picks up and goes above 15-20mph and shifting rapidly the ppc will lose, those 100 extra grains of bullet weight do make a difference.

On paper, yes the .308 has an edge, but in the real world, the added recoil will factor in the results...even in a 13.5 # gun. The above posts refer to Hunter Class which is 10 # limit. There is a reason that the .308 is rarely campaigned anymore. Recoil effects are cummulative...and we're talking a Minimum of ~40 rounds/match...with +50 a more realistic #.

Wouldn't a 6br with heavy bullets be a better choice? Velocities, bc's, and recoil all favor it over the .308. Not that a .308 won't shoot, and I know the br doesn't meet case capacity rules, but I'm with Rick, and just need to see it. I have tested a 6br with mid weight bullets on a caliber neutral score target last year. The one thing that I learned, that really stuck out, was that even with a much better bc, if I pulled the trigger at the wrong time, they still didn't hit where I wanted.

I do have a little experience in these matters. I have not seen such a thing and we rarely shoot a full agg in what most people would regard as "good" conditions.

I will go out a limb and make this offer. We shoot UBR matches the 1st Saturday of every month at the Gallatin Gun Club near Gallatin TN. I am willing to bet $500 that no one shooting a .308 full bore will win any Custom Class or Unlimited Grand Agg this season. So, if someone wants to make $500, just show up with the cash and I'll personally match the bet. You will compete with 30BRs, 6PPCs, 220 Beggs, 6BRs, etc. I fully realize that our friend from Iceland can't take advantage of this, but the door is open to anyone else who would like to try.

Rick

Back