Winchester Model 70 Action drawing

Chris Harris

Does anyone have a CAD drawing (or regular drawing) for a recent model Winchester Model 70 action? I did some searching on the web but found nothing. I want to check out the blueprint specification for the action and the barrel tenon.

Thanks in anticipation
Chris

Chris, the tenon on a post 64 Winchester push feed is about as simple as it gets. The nominal length is .700. The thread is a 1.000 16 TPI. The face of the barrel is flat.

The thing you will notice about the action thread is it has two slots 180 degrees apart that cuts the thread away. I guess this is part of their manufacturing process as they broach the raceways.

About 10 years ago, I modified one of these by taking the thread out to the same diameter as a Remington 700, 1.062 16tpi to get rid of the slots. There was nothing on that thing that ran true.

Chris, the tenon on a post 64 Winchester push feed is about as simple as it gets. The nominal length is .700. The thread is a 1.000 16 TPI. The face of the barrel is flat.

The thing you will notice about the action thread is it has two slots 180 degrees apart that cuts the thread away. I guess this is part of their manufacturing process as they broach the raceways.

About 10 years ago, I modified one of these by taking the thread out to the same diameter as a Remington 700, 1.062 16tpi to get rid of the slots. There was nothing on that thing that ran true.

Thanks Jackie. My tenon is 28tpi with a relief slot for the extractor. I can easily copy what I have but I was curious as to what the blueprint was and even more fascinated to find no drawings on the Internet.

Chris, the only 28 pitch threads I've seen on a Winchester was on a controlled round push feed action designed for the WSM cartridges. That sounds like a contradiction in terms. But, it had a sliding plate extractor with the bottom of the bolt nose cut away to let the case head slip in behind the extractor as the bolt was pushed forward. No pre-64 style extractor. I think it was still a 1" diameter thread. Only remember having one of them in my shop and was really surprised when I removed the barrel and saw such a fine thread. Not sure why they went that way when they could have just done as Jackie did and opened the thread up to a 1 1/16" thread diameter if they wanted more metal around the case head. Sounds like yours is the pre-64 style extractor since you have a relief cut for the extractor in the barrel. The one I had just had a flat on the end of the barrel tenon with no relief cut. I think you are going to find less and less firearms information on the internet due to the state department.

Last edited:
Chris, the only 28 pitch threads I've seen on a Winchester was on a controlled round push feed action designed for the WSM cartridges. That sounds like a contradiction in terms. But, it had a sliding plate extractor with the bottom of the bolt nose cut away to let the case head slip in behind the extractor as the bolt was pushed forward. No pre-64 style extractor. I think it was still a 1" diameter thread. Only remember having one of them in my shop and was really surprised when I removed the barrel and saw such a fine thread. Not sure why they went that way when they could have just done as Jackie did and opened the thread up to a 1 1/16" thread diameter if they wanted more metal around the case head. Sounds like yours is the pre-64 style extractor since you have a relief cut for the extractor in the barrel. The one I had just had a flat on the end of the barrel tenon with no relief cut. I think you are going to find less and less firearms information on the internet due to the state department.

Thanks Mike. I should post some pics of this one. I was a little surprised to see this. But it is a recent model if I am not wrong.

I think the State Dept are going to have their work cut out for them if they think they have a remote chance of ever making any sense of that recent policy directive. It just seems so bizarre that they would issue that. No one, that i know, seems to make sense of it. Good thing is that it may trigger some changes to the code. I can't see how the gunsmithing industry will take this lying down. the NRA, Brownells, MidWay and so on should climb in and get something moving.

28 tpi m70

I just recently rebarreled one of the new Portugal made model 70s from a .243 to a 35 Rem. It had the 28 tpi 1.062 thread on it. It also has about a 42 degree cone and an extractor slot. I also could not find any drawings of this and just has to take barrel and action measurements to make my own drawing. The new style trigger was awful and I replaced it with a Timney.

I just recently rebarreled one of the new Portugal made model 70s from a .243 to a 35 Rem. It had the 28 tpi 1.062 thread on it. It also has about a 42 degree cone and an extractor slot. I also could not find any drawings of this and just has to take barrel and action measurements to make my own drawing. The new style trigger was awful and I replaced it with a Timney.

That is the same as the one I have here. I thought the cone was 40 degree but either way it appears the same. Thanks.

Just a thought. Is there a possibility that it is a 1mm pitch thread. There is only about .004 difference in the pitch of a 28 TPI and a 1mm metric thread.

Just a thought. Is there a possibility that it is a 1mm pitch thread. There is only about .004 difference in the pitch of a 28 TPI and a 1mm metric thread.

Jackie, no, this is a 28tpi thread. I measured it with a thread gauge. I do like the fine thread idea as it is much stronger than the typical 18 or 16 pitch thread. I was just curious as to what the spec on this rifle should be. It is so easy to refer to a Remington 700 drawing but I was surprised how tough it is to get data on other actions.

Back