Win 52E Sporter ? ? ? - Help to identify

buckstix

Not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I recently acquired a Winchester 52E that looks like a Sporter. I didn't think the Factory made a 52E Sporter.

Anyone have an opinion on what I have?

win52e1.jpg

win52e2.jpg

win52e3.jpg

win52e4.jpg

win52e5.jpg

win52e6.jpg

win52e7.jpg

The only componant that is Winchester is the action. Can’t tell definatively with your images not clear but possibly one of the repro’s maybe .

The only componant that is Winchester is the action. Can’t tell definatively with your images not clear but possibly one of the repro’s maybe .

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

The Action, Barrel, Triggerguard, Trigger Gouup, etc., are "all" Winchester 52E. The stock has a Packmayer "Whiteline" buttplate and the stock is not marked.

No Clip

It looks like a Silhouette rifle except it should have a clip for that game. Wouldn't a "Sporter" be unusual in a single shot?

Pete

Only Win 52 sporters I have ever heard about (oem) stopped with 52c. That is not to say something could have been special order by a distributor. Not even thinking about the Browning ( japan ) repro's. 52c sporter is dear enough with out getting into the D and E range.
To me looks like a custom job of some type particularly with that huge drop in the butt area which as stated above looks like "Sillywet" use ( not bashing anything here because my 52c heavy looks very similar- modified for said game. with a Canjar lp trigger.)

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the 52 E was made from 1975-1980 with 652 being made. They all were single shot with a heavy 28 inch barrel ( .882" at muzzle). They were available in three different style target stocks. The pictured "sporter" is not a factory offering. It may be a great shooter, but much of its resale value is lost with the addition of that stock. Good shooting....James

James

It is my understanding that the 52 E was made from 1975-1980 with 652 being made. They all were single shot with a heavy 28 inch barrel ( .882" at muzzle). They were available in three different style target stocks. The pictured "sporter" is not a factory offering. It may be a great shooter, but much of its resale value is lost with the addition of that stock. Good shooting....James

here is a link to a lengthy series of messages on rimfirecentral.com that discusses D and E serial numbers...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325571

In it, the earliest E the sponsor of the thread has on record is E122593 and the latest E125416. He believes E's ended somewhere around 125500.

The E was never really a model number in the 52 line, like the A, B, C and Ds were. The E prefix was forced by a new law stating firearms manufacturers had to assign a prefix letter to each individual model in their lineup. Changes were made such as a functional loading ramp and recessed crown as the E prefix guns were produced. Some early E lettered rifles had true D actions....not D&Ted….later ones were D&Ted. Its an interesting read if you have the time. --Greg

Last edited:
Back