Wild River Air Rifle - USARB Report Indoor January 2, 2013

M

MHOPKINS

Competition was tight today. It was good to have Wayne shoot with us from Ashland. Linda came close to her first 250 being tripped up by her final shot. Ron proves once again that paying attention to detail pays off. The first 2 targets will be sent to the UK postal match with our fingers crossed.

Shooter Ser. Class Equipment Tgt. 1 Tgt. 2 Tgt. 3 Total

Ron Silveira In. HV Feinwerkbau P70FT 249 19x 249 19x 250 22x 748 60x
Mike Hopkins In. HV Feinwerkbau P70FT 249 19x 249 15x 250 10x 748 44x
Chris Lovitt In. HV Feinwerkbau P70FT 249 16x 248 8x 250 11x 747 35x
Tom Santos In. HV Feinwerkbau P70FT 250 14x 247 10x 249 9x 746 33x
Linda Hopkins In. HV Feinwerkbau P70FT 247 8x 247 8x 249 11x 743 27x
Steve Ware In. HV RAW TM1000 .177 246 9x 249 13x 247 8x 742 30x
Oliver Gudmundson In. HV Feinwerkbau P70FT 245 9x 248 11x 247 10x 740 30x
Wayne Burns In. HV USFT-HPA LD#86 .177 245 6x 248 8x 247 8x 740 22x

Next tournament will be Indoors January 16, beginning at 9:30 am.
Mike Hopkins, Match Director

Mike,
Great scores! Congrats to Tom shooting the only 250 for the UK Postal match! Ron's 498 38X with Mike's 498 34X didn't leave the door open very much.

Paul

Excellent shooting guys/gal! Wow, that is nearly 1/2 minute of angle for sixty shots.
I haven't heard much from Wayne lately, it's good to see him out of hibernation.
Dan

Great shooting Team North West! I figured Ron to be the first to the 60X Mark WWOOOOWW!
You all have set a High Water Mark for the rest of us.

Mark

Howdy Hey Dan! Happy New year All.

Excellent shooting guys/gal! Wow, that is nearly 1/2 minute of angle for sixty shots.
I haven't heard much from Wayne lately, it's good to see him out of hibernation.
Dan

It's been a little busy in my business... which is a good thing.. but I've had very little play time.

That's a tough crowd to compete with up in Grants Pass, but the nicest group of folks to shoot with.

We had a heater fan going for the first card and it effected my lane on the edge of the building quite a bit... We turned it off for the second and third cards, and my scores (and most others), went up.

I finally made Ron feel guilty enough to give me some of his special pellets... after the match of course:).. so next time, I might do better:)

Good luck this weekend folks!

Hey... is anyone else going the the Arizona State field target match on the 19th and 20th this month? I'm trying to get some practice in.. see ya there!

Wayne

Wayne,
Happy New Year!
We found out at Holbrooks indoor range, we shoot with the Heater and Ventilator turned off! Also with single digit temperature all week the outside walls cause havoc so will use the middle 5 benches for this match.

Paul

Oh sure, Paul, NOW you tell me about heater issues. Made a big difference on our 3rd card.
Good Luck this weekend!
Mike

Mike

The bar has been set very high, well done and good shooting to all concerned.

Tony

It's been a little busy in my business... which is a good thing.. but I've had very little play time.

That's a tough crowd to compete with up in Grants Pass, but the nicest group of folks to shoot with.

We had a heater fan going for the first card and it effected my lane on the edge of the building quite a bit... We turned it off for the second and third cards, and my scores (and most others), went up.

I finally made Ron feel guilty enough to give me some of his special pellets... after the match of course:).. so next time, I might do better:)

Good luck this weekend folks!

Hey... is anyone else going the the Arizona State field target match on the 19th and 20th this month? I'm trying to get some practice in.. see ya there!

Wayne

Is there anywhere we can get more info on his pellets? Does he make them from scratch or modify existing pellets?

Jeff Search back to Wild River Early Dec Match results

Is there anywhere we can get more info on his pellets? Does he make them from scratch or modify existing pellets?
Jeff,
This is from Mark's reply on the Early Dec. Wild River match report (lubing pellert)
Mark's Quote.

Hi Bob,
We love our P70FTs here. Unfortunately, FWB hasn't produced any for 2 or 3 years. Because of outdoor matches, we pretty unanimously shoot the heavy 10.3 gr pellets. Of course with a gun manufactured in Germany, we shoot German pellets (H&N). We shoot just under 800 fps and about 14.5lbs energy.
Any secrets? Well, if you promise not to tell another soul, the pellets right out of the tin are treated with a dry lube of some sort. To be consistent, that lube is removed by only brand name Dove dish soap at 99 degrees in a metal bowl with a candy thermometer to insure temperature accuracy. Allow to soak 4 1/2 minutes only. Then place pellets in a collandar and immediately place in another bowl of 43 degree water from a refrigerator (no ice). Move collander left and right as well as fore and aft about 16 times to insure the skirts insides are rinsed out. They are then 'baked' at 175 degree, pre-warmed oven for 18 minutes (longer will leave them too maleable). They then should be placed on a paper-towel lined cookie sheet and allowed to come down to room temperature. It's best and most consistent to allow overnight temperature adjusting. Just make sure the room temp is kept between 77 and 79 degees.
In the morning, you'll be ready for the final step of lubrication. Now this is important, they will be spray lubed but only on the outside, not up the skirt. To do that, arrange all pellets head up, skirt down. The secret then is in the lube. Keeping the room at 78 degrees, you will make 2 passes from a height of 26inches above the pellet heads (helps to have the cookie tray on the floor so you can be directly above, or, stand on a kitchen chair, leaving the cookie tray on a cleared kitchen table. No more than 1 quater ounce of spray per pass. The lube is the secret. It cannot by any brand but Pam and is not the usual olive or canola oil. No, it MUST be the oil for grills. If your grocery store does not carry this, you'll be able to get it from Pyramid Air. They'll know, just from your asking, that you are one of the very rare professional level air rifle shooter who plans to be in the winners circle at each match. Good luck and remember, don't tell a soul about this secret winning pellet methodology. :->

End of Mark's Quote.

My mistake on trying to copy a quote from an earlier post.
Sorry Mike!

Paul

Last edited:
Now, if you believe any of that, never mind, internet humor without the smiley faces, almost.

Hi Paul,
I tried this and only missed beating Ron by 1 point (we tied with 748s). Thanks so much for the secret information. I won't tell.
Mike

P.S., what I'm going to try next is filing the round head .030 flat to combine the attributes of the flat nose and diabolo designs. I'll use a digital mic for accuracy. The only question I have is the PAM Grill spray lube. With the added wind friction, should I add a 3rd coat?

Hi Paul,
I tried this and only missed beating Ron by 1 point (we tied with 748s). Thanks so much for the secret information. I won't tell.
Mike

P.S., what I'm going to try next is filing the round head .030 flat to combine the attributes of the flat nose and diabolo designs. I'll use a digital mic for accuracy. The only question I have is the PAM Grill spray lube. With the added wind friction, should I add a 3rd coat?

Mike,
The only good thing about using Pam grill spray for a lube is that it tastes better than the other lubes i have tried. lol

Paul

Thank you for the info. I went ahead and stocked up since PyramidAir gives you the 4th grill spray can for free.

Pete, Mike wrote that on his Dec Match Report! I guess I copied and pasted will fix.

Paul, You have missed your calling. You should be writing speehes for politicians :)

Pete,
Mike wrote that on one of his Dec Wild River reports. Yes Mike missed his calling.
I will fix it! Sorry Mike.

Paul

Back