Why benchrest stocks are longer?

D

Delphinus

This is my first post I'm a FT shooter from Portugal and last year we had the first BR25 championship so I’m new to this discipline and know very little about it.

This year I want to prepare a rifle dedicated to BR and my doubt is why are benchrest rifles longer, I assume that is to reduce the lateral movement but I’m not sure.

Boyd, your explanation is right on for a powder burning rifle, but likely doesn't apply to air rifles. A typical PCP gun really has no recoil to speak of. I think it's all about balance and stability in the bags for this discipline. Cocking the gun is the most motion these rifles will see.

Jerry

Last edited:
Benchrest stocks have evolved to be the way they are for a lot of reasons. Among them is, the configurations allow the shooter to handle the gun consistently shot after shot. Consistency is a great necessity in ultimate accuracy. Rests and bags have followed to provide a stable support system for the stocks IMHO. I think it has more to do with stability than anythong else.

I really liked Boyd Allen answer

Regarding the recoil I don’t know if it’s the right term but my Steyr has movement not in one direction but in 2 or more.

I also agree that Cocking the gun is the most motion these rifles will see in my case it affects the lateral movement.

The reason for my question is longer stock means more weight and probably won’t allow the muzzle to jump but what I noticed is that the lateral movement is higher than the vertical so if I can control the horizontal movement I can have a lighter rifle if it’s shorter.

But since all new 10mt rifles are longer in Benchrest version there must be a valid reason or it’s only a fashion of the moment?

Back