Who? for barrel fluting

switchbarrel

Registered Nurse
I've got a Bartlein barrel that I'm going to get fluted for weight savings. My new BR light-gun needs to go on a diet so I can use the Nightforce I bought for it.

I know I can send it back to Bartlein, they quoted me $175. Who does barrel fluting (besides the barrel makers) at good prices?

Just looking for a couple of reputable gunsmith places to compare prices before I just send it off to Bartlein. Anybody know if one maker - say Lilja/Shilen/Brux/etc - cares about fluting another makers barrel? Do they only want to do their own or is the almighty dollar more important than brand?

Thank you.

-Rick

UPDATE- Got 'er done. I had to order an action wrench so I could get the barrel off. While on the phone with MT Guns, I just happened to ask if they did fluting since they installed the barrel. They do, and at the best price I found for 8 flutes.

002.jpg

008.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a Bartlein barrel that I'm going to get fluted for weight savings. My new BR light-gun needs to go on a diet so I can use the Nightforce I bought for it.

I know I can send it back to Bartlein, they quoted me $175. Who does barrel fluting (besides the barrel makers) at good prices?

Just looking for a couple of reputable gunsmith places to compare prices before I just send it off to Bartlein.

Rick, here's a place I think you can safely rule out (and not just due to cost): http://www.wasatchprecisionarms.com/gunsmith-services/barrel-fluting

;)

Look at the link in the bottom right of that page. Rifle golf. Now, I liked the George Carlin "skeet golf" idea, but have never really thought about rifle golf.

Geeze

I think the first statement, in that first link, is just a little full of it.

For all practicle purposes, the only reasons to flute a barrel is to lighten it and make it look cool........jackie

Look at the link in the bottom right of that page. Rifle golf. Now, I liked the George Carlin "skeet golf" idea, but have never really thought about rifle golf.

Back when I first started where I work, some of the guys tried to get me to try golfing with them. I told them we should combine our games........You drive the ball as far as you can, I get one shot to take it out of play. It sounded good to me...........

-Dave-

I think the first statement, in that first link, is just a little full of it.

Jackie, your diplomacy is admirable. The Wasatch statement re: fluting clearly indicates that they are totally full of something that rhymes with "it".

Rick, back to your quest, looks like Kampfeld is a bit less expensive than Bartlein, and he doesn't spew excrement on his website like the one referenced above. Good luck. :cool:

Is there a chance that if the barrel is returned to Bartlein that it will actually be exchanged for one that was fluted prior to being drilled?

One thing if you return it to Bartlein to do the fluting and something goes wrong you'll get a new barrel without a problem. I'd pay the $175 and sleep easy.

Danny

Twisted barrel

I have used them to have bolts fluted.

EXCELLENT work
Fast service
Very reasonable
Honest people

Paul Ryan

Fluting

Hi Guys-

Thank you for all of the replies.

Kampfeld Custom only guy I would have flute anything, Karls work speaks for itself and he's a great guy to deal with.

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/index_002.htm

I looked at the Kampfeld Custom site, that diamond fluting looks pretty cool. Prices are about what I was orig. expecting prior to the Bartlein quote. I'm definitely going to contact them for more info.

Is there a chance that if the barrel is returned to Bartlein that it will actually be exchanged for one that was fluted prior to being drilled?

The barrel is already installed on my Barnard action (threaded, chambered, etc.)

I don't know anything about this place.....
http://www.twistedbarrel.com

This place has quite a few options and good pricing. I'll check with them as well for more references/info.

Switch Barrel.
Check your PM,s
Leroy Johnson

PM replied.

Thank you all.
-Rick

Fluting

"The number one reason to have your barrel fluted is accuracy". This outrageous claim alone would be reason enough for me to ignore this company, but my response to them would be, prove it. It is impossible for them to "guarantee" any degree of accuracy. And, in fact, if the barrel would be less accurate after the fluting, they would blame everything except their fluting as being the cause. Nothing but advertising hype/ pure Bull**it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the Accuracy claim is absurd!!!

I'd actually send my barrel to Kampfeld before I sent it back to the manufacturer.:D

Who for barrel fluting

I have been told by Jack Sutton that after a barrel is fluted it needs to be lapped.
Best send it back to Frank Green for fluting and lapping.

Back