Which scoring gauge (plug) to use in Rimfire Benchrest targets ?

Call for a vote . . .

At our club, when a scorer has a shot that he feels just a little to close to call, he decides in his mind what he" thinks" it should be: Then asks two others to have a look. The score is determined by vote of the three people.

The gauge stays in the shot hole until the value is determined. Some inexperienced shooters will want to plug the hole a second time. I have even seen shooters push the gauge inward to gain a point. "bad-bad".

Joe

At our club, when a scorer has a shot that he feels just a little to close to call, he decides in his mind what he" thinks" it should be: Then asks two others to have a look. The score is determined by vote of the three people.

The gauge stays in the shot hole until the value is determined. Some inexperienced shooters will want to plug the hole a second time. I have even seen shooters push the gauge inward to gain a point. "bad-bad".

Joe

The .224 section of the "New" scoring device is recessed in the magnifier thus preventing it from being able to thrust through the paper. It's a great device :).

Why not use the IR 50/50 rules that are posted on their site, before the match starts appoint 3 referees and after the match have a 10 minute protest period. if there is a protest to a scoring box mark it and after the protest period is over the refs plug the target and at the same time reveal there results and the score stands or the extra point is awarded or an x is awarded. IR charges 2 dollars for a protest and if the protest is good they get their money back or if the score stands the club gets the money

The targets for comparison . . .

5TargetsRanked.jpg

One died young . . .

About a dozen years ago IBS made an attempt to promote rimfire benchrest. It didn't fly. Seems the reason was that the target was too easy. The 10 ring was 1/2 inch in diameter: Twice the size of the I.R. 50/50 ten ring.

Thank you Joe Haller for that comparison it was very informative..

The Hughes Scoring Gauge

Because of this last postage increases I had asked Susan Hughes about any price increase on the gauge She and Bob are making. She said the post office increased the postage cost by 50 cents.

SO: She said the price of the Hughes .22 caliber gauge will increase to $6.50.

There is something else she told me: She has had my "How To Score" graphic reproduced by a local printer and she sends a copy with every gauge. There is no "middle man" profit here. I suspect they are offering the best value in scoring gauges in the world.

Those graphics would not be much help to someone trying to learn the ARA scoring method, but for IR-50/50 and RBA, graphic #2 has all the information needed to teach a newbee how to score either of those targets.

You can find the graphics in post #5 of this thread.

Joe

Joe:
I disagree. ARA scoring is not hard to learn. It's been difficult to accept for the most part. Glad to see you still rolling along..

Hi Fred:

I'm still rolling. Had a bunch of busted spokes last month. Cost 40 bucks to have them replaces and the wheels trued up.

About the ARA target: I understand the part about the trailing edge of the gauge breaking" through" a scoring ring to the next lower value. In computer graphics, the diameter of a circle is determined by the outside of the line. Line thickness can vary, so you don't want to measure from the inside of a variable width line. I think the hard part is when you get out to the 10 ring. When does a 10 turn into a zero or miss?

I know it is different than scoring the old BR-50 target, where you got a -25 if the "leading" edge was in that thick 10 ring. I think you guys corrected that mistake. But: Explain how ARA determines the difference between a 10 and a miss.

We are finally getting some nice Spring weather UP here. It started the same day you guys in Texas entered Summer.

Joe :)

CCSALogo.jpg

Joe:

The difference between a 10 and a miss or zero on the ARA target is this.. If the bullet hole completely cuts the outside line, then it is a 10. If you can see any blue around the inside (worst) edge of the plug, then it is a zero or a miss...

Dave

That inside-out ARA target . . .

Hello Dave:
Hi Fred:

I THINK I finally see the light. A verbal description added to the graphic on the ARA target could help a new shooter understand How to Score it.

For the shooters who have not seen the target, I submit this graphic, which is similar to the one on the ARA target. I just made it backwards. Again, I think adding a verbal description would help in scorer training.

ARAscoreGraphic-1.jpg

Dave: You had asked me if I had any of the RIG scoring gauges left. As you know, I had sold more then 500 of them to members of the RFC On-Line-Matches, before the well went dry. I thought I had a couple of them left in the shop, but so far have not been able to find them. All I have left are a two dozen .17 caliber RIG gauges. Many of our members have the RIG gauge, but most prefer the new Hughes Gauge. I'll beg, borrow or steal a RIG for you when we have our next match.

That Black Grade 10 Suhl I bought from you is the envy of many of our local shooters.

If I don't go to jail for stealing that gauge for you, I'll need your mailing address.

Joe :)

Target Sizes:

As a competitor, I see no relevence in target size. I have to compete against all the others shooting at them so there is no advantage or disadvantage to me or anyone else. Hang em up, I'll shoot at em. I like em all :).

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll be buying some gauges this monday. Richard

Back