Which patches do you use?

dankillough

I personally like the Pro Shot 1" round cotton, but they are getting pricey and I was considering trying some synthetics.

What size patches do you use?
Round or square?
Cotton or what?

Thanks

I buy cotton flannel at a local surplus store. It's about 7 bucks sq. yd.
A good pair of scissors and cut my own.
1" square for .22 and 1 3/8" square for 6mm.
I can get a whole bunch of patches for 7 bucks and a little of my time.

I forgot to mention that with this size patch you have to use a smaller jag on a .20 cal rod.

1 inch round and 1 1/8 inch square on Dewey polished jag. Use the 1 inch for first pass and 1 1/8 for subsequent. Rich

I go through a lot of patches. I like the ProShot 1-1/4" round patches and the round ones from Brownells too. I bought 5000 Montana patches at a gun show about a year and a half ago and I'm running low now! Need to order some. Dan are you planning on stocking 1-1/4" round patches?

Cotton

I only use cotton patches, the synthetics I've tried don't seem to be as uniform in thickness or as good at cleaning.

My Choice

Cotton Flannel. I buy the 3" square, and quarter them. Helps reduce the cost. I also use a 20 cal. rod like Ken.

Kent,

I am considering it, but I do not have any yet. I have been trying everything I can get my hands on to see what works best.

Dan, I use the round cotton flannel patches 1-1/4 from Brownell's, 10.00 bucks for a 1000 that's one cent per patch. If you clean after every card, and lets say one uses 7 patches to get it done, in a 6 card match that's 42 cents. That's cheap considering the overall picture and what some spend in other novelties for this game.

I have also tried other types of patches, but always go back to the cotton flannel patches.

Take Care,
Joe

Last edited:
Flannel.........

I buy cotton flannel at a local surplus store. It's about 7 bucks sq. yd.
A good pair of scissors and cut my own.
1" square for .22 and 1 3/8" square for 6mm.
I can get a whole bunch of patches for 7 bucks and a little of my time.

I'm with you Joe, i also buy cotton flannel by the yard and cut my own[yep...i'm a cheapy] Except i get it at "Wally Hell" for about 3 bucks a yard.
Colt.45

I've settled on the Montana 1 1/4" round patches. Like them the best of those I've used.

Ken

After i had run out of the Pro-Shot 1", I have started using a combination of 1 1/4" round and 1 1/8" square from Bore Tech. The 1 1/4" is just little tight in my barrel but does go through with a little pushing, the square ones go through with no problem.

On a side question, what 3" patch do you use on your turner cleaner? All my 3" cotton patches are to thick to put the two out the top.

Bill

The 2 I put out the top, is one patch cut in half. I use some cheap Outers patches that I picked up on clearance at Wal-Mart.

Those that use the 1 1/4" round patches, what size jag do you use?
I'm with cadman, those are really tight in my barrel.

Dan, jag .156 No problem pushing a 1-1/4 patch through. The two rods I received from Bill Meyers came with these jags.

Joe

Last edited:
The jag i use is one i purchased along with my Danny Phillps Ivy rod. I guess he supposedly turned it down to work with the cleaning rod.

Bill

I use the pellets, Phillips made me a rod with male thread on the end to accept the pellet adapter. I use five pellets per cleaning, two wet, three dry, clean as a whitsle. Thanks, Douglas

Back