Which neck turner Pumkin or k&m?

E

elmerdeer

I would like to know which neck turner is better and easier to use? I have 3 different 7mm calibers that I will use it for.
Thanks
Elmer

Elmer ...

My preference is the K&M !!! :)

Attachments

• K&M Neck Turning Tool with Optional Neck Thickness Indicator.jpg
    K&M Neck Turning Tool with Optional Neck Thickness Indicator.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 940
I'm a beginner, so take this fwiw.

I like my pumpkin better than my k&m, but the pumpkin is pricey.

This is mitigated by its ease of adjustment such that you don't have to have two of them if you do the necks in two steps.

Follow the directions that come with the pumpkin exactly. Be aware, however, that how much is taken off from a new case in one pass is *not* equal to how much comes off in multiple passes as you try to "sneak up" on the right setting. The one pass, for me, took off more.

My suggestion:

Regardless of which turning system you use don't drive yourself crazy trying to hold tenths. The necks tend to grow as they are shot, at least all the cases I have used to date so holding tenths doesn't do a whole lot.

Of course if one only uses their cases for one match, there may be a benefit in knowing one has everything as perfect as they can get it if only for peace of mine.

The indicator on the K&M to read the neck thickness look good to me, I must say.

Never used a Pumpkin

but then I never needed to, the K&M with micro adjust works very good, I have one for each rifle so when it's set its dedicated to that rifle.

K&M is a great value.

K&m

Bought both Sinclair and a K&M, totally happy with the K&M and its adjustment, easy to use and a great value. Kudos to Sinclair as well, returned it with no problem or issues, one of the few items I'd bought from them that I was not totally delighted with.

As previously mentioned, worked so well that I bought just the extra neck turning portion and have 3 of them now, all preset to cut specific cases.

I've used all the Sinclair models, the k&m, and have seen the pumpkin in use many times and I have to say that if I were to buy a new one today, I'd get the new "green machine" from Sinclair. It's super adjustable, ergonomic, and quick to set up. Plus it uses the common Sinclair mandrels in either high-speed or carbide.

Btw, what Pete said about turning is spot on. The only way I know of to get necks down to considerably less than a 1/4 thou tolerance is to turn them by hand real slow and in cold, consistent temperatures and it's just too miserable of a job to do it that way and it won't make a bit of difference on the target anyway.

Last edited:
A vote for the Pumkin

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but here goes. I bought a Pumkin 5 to 6 years ago. I got Jeff Graves to help me set it up. I have never adjusted it since. I make all my cut in one pass. I also use Nielson's mandrel in carbide. I use half and half Mobil One and STP. Never had a problem since I got it. I use a 19.2 volt Sears battery-powered drill and use whatever speed I want. Generally I'll turn slow making the inward pass and turn it at the highest speed on the way back out. This makes a really nice looking finish, and I can't see any problem from doing it this way.

K&M neck turner

There is a guy, whose name escapes me that makes a "puck" that you lock onto the K&M turner so the turner is easier to hold onto and asks as a heat sink. A person with a lathe and a mill can make one quite easily.

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65635&highlight=joel+pendergraft

But for the price, if it's still $50, maybe not worth your time. Made by Joel Pendergraft. I have one for my K&M and my fingers sure appreciate it after turning a lot of cases in one session. I like my K&M, I've been thinking about getting another turner to do as other's have mentioned, setting them up and leaving them for a specific caliber.

I saw pictures of the one made by Stiller on the 6mmBR site, it sure looks a lot like the Pumpkin (listed for a lot less $$$). Knowing you often get what you pay for (Pumpkin vs. Stiller), I was thinking about investigating the Stiller turner further before running out and buying another K&M.

-Rick

I saw that Stiller turner on 6mmBR.com . It's not listed on Stiller's web site, however. I've assumed it's not available.

Heat sink...

I have three K&M turners and they work well for me. I use a DeWalt 18V drill, full tilt in low gear. I have a 3" cube of aluminum that I lay the tool on between cases. The tool stays cool and the neck wall thickness produced is very consistent. The K&M is a great tool at any price...The fact that they are so modestly priced is all the more reason to have several of them.

-Dave-

If you owned both, the one from Don would get all the use and you would have a hard time finding the K&M. The one from Don would be your first choice.

The difference is like night and day. In fact you might even wonder how you even put up with all the trouble of the K&M? I know my fingers sure could tell the difference.

neck turners

Just bought a new NT-4000 from Sinclair and am extremley happy with it. They have solved all the previous problems with their NT-1000, and have some nice design features not found on the other outside neck turners.

Back