where to buy concrete bench tops?

rputzbach

A month ago I saw a ad from a person who makes and sells concrete bench tops for ranges. I've sense been unable to find out where I've found it. If anybody knows where I can get some please contact me @ RPUTZBACH@verizon.net or 716-983-4778 thank you.

unless ya need a whole bunch,and shipping would be huge, i made mine by mixing quickcrete in a wheel barrow..i set the 4'x4'x 4in. forms mixed and poured the base, then stacked building blocks to the height i wanted, then built the top forms and poured it..i think it took ten eighty pound bags of mix, three or four 2"x4" and half a sheet of 3"/4" marine plywood ...plastic pipe filled with concrete would work better for the legs

Table tops

You can contact Al Lawrence at riversidemachine.com or Froglevel ara
Larry

Framing concrete is not that hard especially with something that small. I'd pour a concrete base using rebar and leave enough rebar sticking above the base to attach more rebar for the top. You would want to have the rebar extend up to within about half an inch of the top of the top section. I'd have to check to be exact on how close to be but that's how we used to do it or close anyway. You just build the forms for the base with plywood and some 2 x 4's for strength. You could either put the base down in the ground a couple of feet or just build a foundation for the base. Your foundation doesn't have to be perfect. It would be best to just pour enough concrete so that you can cover up the foundation after you get the base poured. You let that part set up and then pour the top section a couple of days later. You should check how rebar works. It's tied together with tie wire. It doesn't have to be exact. It just has to be a little ways away from the edge of the concrete. It will make your stand far, far stronger.

I've done this kind of work since I was a little kid. Dad was a contractor and we built a lot of houses. It really isn't that hard to do. I'm sure you can find a web site that shows how to build a rebar frame and a form to go around it. The only problem you might have is trying to get rid of it. It won't come apart easy.

I'm sure it will take more concrete this way but you will have a much better looking stand and it will be around until someone goes at it real hard with a sledge hammer or a jack hammer. You may not want something that permanent in which case you could just set some blocks up to the right height but I can tell you that requires more skill than pouring a concrete foundation and base. It will be cheaper and easier to get rid of it if you go with a block base though. You'll still need a concrete foundation for your blocks too.

If anyone does want to pour a concrete base remember that you want wet concrete to make sure you don't get bubbles and flakes against the forms. You don't want it too wet of course or it will run out of your form.

Neither of these two methods is bonehead proof btw. If you don't have any experience with concrete you may want to practice a bit somewhere it won't matter much. And laying block is really a tricky thing to get right compared to concrete. But I'm sure anyone can do either of these methods if they spend a little time learning how.

Gambler is right about the shipping cost. I could pay someone that I know to build these for somewhere around $200 but freight up to your area might be around another $400.

If I were looking for someone to make some concrete tops for me I would look for someone in your area that makes outdoor concrete furniture. You could check with places that sell concrete tables. Check with the ready mix concrete companies in your area and explain your project to them. They probably know people who would do this for you.

If there are other shooters that you shoot with who know a little about concrete, see if they could do it or help you do it.

It would help a lot if you had a drawing with just the outside dimensions of what you want to show them.

One last thing, the finishing labor would be almost the same to finish three or four tops as it would be to finish one.

Concho Bill

Last edited:
Ask around there is sure to be someone in your area that will pour them for you. Try the local ready mix company. They always have concrete reurned to the plant. Take a dimensioned drawing with you. You'll want them ablout 4" thick with some rebar both ways near the bottom of the slabs. Don't finish them too smooth, a float finish should be about right. If they're steel trowelled they will be too slick and your rests will slide on them. Pour a 4'' slab 6' square for the base, lay concrete blocks for the top support. Use 8" blocks three high two wide at the front, three high one wide in a tee configuration for the rear support. Lay the rear support to keep it recessed from the back of the top 4-6". You'll probably have a foot or so between the front and rear supports. Three guys should then be able to lift and set the tops on the blocks.

Good luck,

Ken

Check the front of benhcrest central

in the articles section. You will find an article on building benchrest tables as well as some plans also. About all you will need to build one or more good tables. My club is currently doing some remodeling and will be building 2 new tables to replace the old wooden one the insects have been at. We are using steel legs with plywood tops. This is primarily a trap club but a new skeet range and the new benchrest tables are part of the rebuilding as well as new wiring, lights and pat traps for the trap houses. Max

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also try local Burial Vault, Septic tank makers. I had a local one pour my tops for 28.00 ea. I borrowed the forms from a friend. Cheap and easy.

Hovis

i had no help liftin so i mixed it in a wheelbarrow and shoveled it into the top forms..after drying i knocked the forms off, i forgot to say i used rebar and fence wire, i had to move the darn thing months later and was suprized it stayed together.
make sure the ground iz level under the base, it helps !!!!

I think that this thread points out a problem. Not everyone has worked with concrete. It is not rocket science but it is a skill to be learned.

Most of us who know something about concrete learned it by helping someone who knew what they were doing. It is much easier to pour concrete out of a truck than to have to gather the sand and gravel and portland cement and mix it somehow on our own. The premix concrete is a big help and I suggest adding about a half a shovel full of portland cement for each bag used for extra strength.

This can be a do it yourself project for many but it is not for all. There is always wood tops of various types that will work just fine. There is wood and exterior plywood and even exterior MDF board.

However you choose to build your bench, there are people who will be willing to help. By all means, If you can afford it, don't be afraid to use a professional.

Concho Bill

Design your own

I drew up my own design, and took it to a company the made curb stops and
stepping pads. They followed my specs, and these tops are still in use after 10 years.

My Advice:

Study the various styles andbe very careful in the one you choose. Make sure you have thought about all those either shooting now or shooters in the future who will need access from a Wheelchair. Think about the length and how much length you actually need and the width and where you want what.

I think if you do a search here you will find more information than you might want. Bottom line is, in my opinion, Mickey Coleman figured it out pretty dern well.

I drew up my own design, and took it to a company the made curb stops and
stepping pads. They followed my specs, and these tops are still in use after 10 years.

Fred, Your benches look great!

The first ten years is just a start for your benches. From what I have seen of them in photos, they will last a century or two or I will be disappointed.:)

Concho Bill

You might want to contact Paul Bendix -- you can find him in the User list.

He made some real nice concrete benches for the Holbrook Mass range with a lift that tilts the bench onto front wheels so it can be easily moved.

10-10-07_1158.jpg

Best,
Michael

Century Group in Sulphur, LA, 800-527-5232 makes a very nice concrete shooting bench, top, seat & legs for right or left hand shooters. It's very heavy, around 600-800 lbs and bolts together. Last price I had on them was $440 each.

Total Bill

My total cost, including delivery, was $924, for twenty two tops. The legs went poured in place at the same time the pad was poured. That of course added some to the total cost. Others, just make a simple form of a design they like and mix a little sackcreate with rebar in place, an walla, they have a top. It ain't that hard.

Back