What's wrong with this reamer?

KC57

I ordered for rental: “308 Winchester Floating Pilot Chamber Reamer”.
The reamer I received is shown below.

5dMvGnt.jpg

whDzyeB.jpg

This is the first time I’ve used a reamer, and I used it as shipped, to ream a short (~.050”) chambered barrel.

Pardon my ignorance, but shouldn’t this reamer have a throat section? Looks like it’s been ground off?? Additionally, the neck does not seem to be long enough to accommodate a .308 case.

FYI - Repeated emails to the vendor have gone unanswered.

THEY WILL TELL YOU 2 things.
1) inspect BEFORE use.
and
2) yes they will replace.

but that bbl is in need a complete rechambering

Retired,

Something is amiss. Looking at the top and bottom flutes in profile, they look concave or dished, and not in an even manner. This, plus the visible cutting edges looking very uneven give credence to your thought that somebody ground on the throat/leade area.

Or possibly the damage is from a stuck chip whilst chambering.

It looks like the only part of the throat/leader that would be doing any cutting would be the very front.

Whatever it is, it don't look right.

Justin

ohh
i agree,
but go read my post..
inspect BEFORE use.
and
yes they will replace.

Retired,

Something is amiss. Looking at the top and bottom flutes in profile, they look concave or dished, and not in an even manner. This, plus the visible cutting edges looking very uneven give credence to your thought that somebody ground on the throat/leade area.

Or possibly the damage is from a stuck chip whilst chambering.

It looks like the only part of the throat/leader that would be doing any cutting would be the very front.

Whatever it is, it don't look right.

Justin

I can assure you that some one got hold of this reamer after Clymer made it. It looks as if some one attempted to grind off the lead free hand on a pedestal grinder! I can not imagine who would rent something like this in the first place.

I'm not gonna' say,,

,,what I'm thinking, but I'll just say, send it back to whoever rented you this reamer and make a note to never do business with them again!

,,what I'm thinking, but I'll just say, send it back to whoever rented you this reamer and make a note to never do business with them again!

Mama done tol' me "If ya' cain't say nuttin' nice....."

But Holeee Schneikee what a botch job!

Whoever sent it TO ya'......whewww

Thank you guys for confirming my suspicions.
Unfortunately, due to my inexperience (stupidity?), too late for my barrel . . .
This reamer arrived dirty, covered in small chips and oil, and the two of the three extra bushings were the same size.
Again, this vendor has been politely contacted twice and has not responded.

Thank you guys for confirming my suspicions.
Unfortunately, due to my inexperience (stupidity?), too late for my barrel . . .
This reamer arrived dirty, covered in small chips and oil, and the two of the three extra bushings were the same size.
Again, this vendor has been politely contacted twice and has not responded.

It's not 100% too late for your barrel - once you have a proper reamer - you can do a ,"set back". Though not the most desirable process, it'll beat the cost of a new barrel - and probably will shoot just fine.:eek:RG

The reamer is obviously messed up, the question is, how did it get that way.

If it's from a rental, someone might have tried to "modify it". When they sent it back, who ever is in control of the returns obviously did not bother to inspect the reamer for future use. I have never rented a reamer, so I'm out sure just how they handle these transactions.

Like Randy said, you can set the barrel back, to establish the proper throats and lead.

Thanks to all for your responses. The vendor has finally responded, citing medical issues. He recognizes the reamer is damaged, and says he has processed a full return. Everyone screws up, it's how it's handled that counts.

I am not confident/skilled enough to attempt a setback on my mini-lathe, and I don't think the barrel is worth the investment of a competent gunsmith doing this work. There appears to be a small amount of throat in the barrel due to the previous chambering (this was a ~.050" short pre-chambered barrel - Midway/Green Mountain SS 54 contour on sale for $124), and I can trim cases to fit the neck. I will try this barrel as a .308ShortNeck with lighter bullets and see what it does before I try throwing good money after bad.

KC57

You might be able to clean up the throat and lengthen the neck if needed with a Throat & Neck Reamer.
I think there around $70.

Russ

Back