What's the best springer?

Pete Wass

I have been sorta interested in getting a good springer. What might be a suggestion for one that is potentially accurate?

Thanks,

Pete

Best Springer....

Pete. for pure enjoyment with no kick, easy cocking and leave it on the bag and watch the pellet lob in there...The FWB 300s. The trick is to get the scope mounted right so you can bend your fingers around to insert pellet. The Leupold 3-9x32 EFR with fine duplex has worked very well for me. Throw on Burris Signature Rings with the 0 to 5,10,20 degree inserts to zero scope with glass and you have a nice package. Younger guys with nimble fingers can use a larger scope that covers the loading port.
That said, the HW97 seems to be the gun to look at, with alittle more speed. Have not tried one yet but plan to. One of the few I have not owned! The FWB 124 Break Barrel, Walther, etc are a pure joy to feed pellets and shoot. The Walther with the barrel latch probadley has the upper hand for accuracy.
We now will have to wait for a couple Guys out of Arizonia and Calif to hopefully pipe in and give there views and help you decide. Pete

No kick high power RWS 54 ( actions works like FWB 300) 52 and 48 Rws same power but with kick . Tx 200 also a good bet as is HW 97 these are side or under lever units with reasonable triggers. Break barrels- you get what you pay for. Stogers are a pretty good buy at present. If you want to get dizzy with choices go to Pyramid Air - just about everything available on their sight.

Anything that is HW or Beeman R series. HW30, 50, 80,95, HW97K, or Beeman R1, R7, R9. You will have to decide what caliber, power level, or application you want to shoot. Since this is a BR column, then an R9 or HW97K might be good choices in .177 cal. If you just want to plink or hunt, then any of them. The only other springers worth considering IMO are the Air Arms TX200 or the new Walther LGV or LGU series. However, the Walthers haven't yet developed the reputation that the HWs or AAs have. Check out what rifles FT or BR shooters are using. That's a pretty good indication of what's the best.

No kick high power RWS 54 ( actions works like FWB 300) 52 and 48 Rws same power but with kick . Tx 200 also a good bet as is HW 97 these are side or under lever units with reasonable triggers. Break barrels- you get what you pay for. Stogers are a pretty good buy at present. If you want to get dizzy with choices go to Pyramid Air - just about everything available on their sight.

HW/Beeman R series break barrels are as accurate as anything. I would stay away from anything else, especially the cheap ones from China.

Thanks for the info

I am primarily interested in a springer for Benchrest. I don't want to spend a ton of money but have reasonable accuracy and ease of use.

Thanks,

Pete

Personally I would go with a under or side lever unit- just can see how manhandling the barrel as a way of cocking can due much for accuracy. Some of those barrels aren't exactly made of tough steel. And yes I have had a couple come through the doors that had to be tweeked.

RWS/Diana 54

See result's from Holbrook Springer Class 54 is Best so far I've seen.....Franky

Last edited:
Back